Democratic hopefuls say eating less meat will help the climate.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
First of all, the measurement of the CO2 hundreds of thousands of years ago is done using methods of looking back in the past. The current measurements are done using completely different methods. In order to compare measurements, it would be best to use the same methods to get results that are consistent.

The measurements are consistent up until about 1970. Ice core sampling. Current measurements are done by sampling the atmosphere. Do you have reason to think these methods don't work?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yep. Cities are not the reason we are going thru a warming cycle.

That would be wetlands, the oceans and bogs/swamps

Again, that would be wetlands, the oceans and bogs/swamps. And termites produce more methane that all other creatures.

Do we have more wetlands bogs and swamps then?

How about water vapor? Did you know humidity is trending on a rise? It is due to the strength of the sun's rays by the way. No human involvement even capable of influencing it.

We also know solar magnitude, It's not currently at maximum or strengthening.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-08.01.18.png

Radiance data:
https://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/pub/web/40264_web.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The measurements are consistent up until about 1970. Ice core sampling. Current measurements are done by sampling the atmosphere. Do you have reason to think these methods don't work?

Core samplings indicate an amount of CO2 deposited on a small surface over a long period of time. Atmospheric samplings can be skewed depending on exact location. Cities are more likely to have a higher concentration than a forest. Same goes for climate temperature measurements. Again, cities will have more heat absorbing surfaces and therefore give higher readings.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Core samplings indicate an amount of CO2 deposited on a small surface over a long period of time. Atmospheric samplings can be skewed depending on exact location. Cities are more likely to have a higher concentration than a forest. Same goes for climate temperature measurements. Again, cities will have more heat absorbing surfaces and therefore give higher readings.

You don't think we check stuff like that?

People who take measurements for a living, don't know how, and it somehow lines up perfectly with your preconceived beliefs?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do we have more wetlands bogs and swamps then?

I'm not going to answer that if you cannot explain the impacts from drought, rewetting and floods. Why? Because the way you write sounds condescending as all get.

We also know solar magnitude, It's not currently at maximum or strengthening.

Great... do you know why I asked about water vapor?

Yeah, can we not argue just for the argument please? If your not going to read my post I'm not going to continually try and explain what I'm saying. Im not going to feel bad if you ignore me or do not respond. I posted you information, and made another post touching on that information. I never said the sun's rays are strengthening. Our protections from the sun are in a weakening period.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not going to answer that if you cannot explain the impacts from drought, rewetting and floods. Why? Because the way you write sounds condescending as all get.

I don't consider it condescending to be incredulous to someone who explained a 100ppm increase in CO2 levels by referring to wetlands.

I think you would have to have more wetlands rather than say, fewer as is actually observed.

Great... do you know why I asked about water vapor?

Because you don't understand why water vapor would be produced with more heat.

What about water vapour? | Climate Change Connection

Yeah, can we not argue just for the argument please? If your not going to read my post I'm not going to continually try and explain what I'm saying. Im not going to feel bad if you ignore me or do not respond. I posted you information, and made another post touching on that information. I never said the sun's rays are strengthening. Our protections from the sun are in a weakening period.

You said water vapor is increasing because of the strength of the suns rays, so I figured you thought the sun had increased rather than decreasing in intensity.

Feel free to ignore me like you ignore data you don't like.

Last edited:
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because you don't understand why water vapor would be produced with more heat.

What about water vapour? | Climate Change Connection

You don't even realise you proved what I was getting at do you?

"The increase in water vapour in the atmosphere, because water vapour is an effective greenhouse gas, thus contributes to even more warming: it enhances the greenhouse effect.

Water vapour is often discussed and recognized as being an important part of the global warming process. The water vapour feedback process is most likely responsible for a doubling of the greenhouse effect when compared to the addition of carbon dioxide on its own (3)."

upload_2019-9-10_18-12-22.png

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You don't even realise you proved what I was getting at do you?

"The increase in water vapour in the atmosphere, because water vapour is an effective greenhouse gas, thus contributes to even more warming: it enhances the greenhouse effect.

Water vapour is often discussed and recognized as being an important part of the global warming process. The water vapour feedback process is most likely responsible for a doubling of the greenhouse effect when compared to the addition of carbon dioxide on its own (3)."

View attachment 262955

Humidity is increasing because temperature is increasing.

It helps the feedback loop along with carbon dioxide and is absolutely part of the problem of pumping so much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

If this was because of the "suns rays" we might expect to see the sun actually putting out more energy.

Instead:

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Humidity is increasing because temperature is increasing.

It helps the feedback loop along with carbon dioxide and is absolutely part of the problem of pumping so much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

If this was because of the "suns rays" we might expect to see the sun actually putting out more energy.

Your not figuring anything else known to be ongoing into your equation tho. You seem to be saying that nothing else in creation can influence our weather, climate, or earth more than humans. Not the sun. Magnetic poles. Not even changes in currents. The only force capable of destroying the earth is mankind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Your not figuring anything else known to be ongoing into your equation tho. You seem to be saying that nothing else in creation can influence our weather, climate, or earth more than humans. Not the sun. Magnetic poles. Not even changes in currents. The only force capable of destroying the earth is mankind.

We know hundreds of things that influence CO2 and temperature, just none that have changed to the extent that they pumped an extra 100ppm into the atmosphere more than the maximum observed over the last 800,000 years.

The sun could definitely warm the earth by 1 degree C but we would observe something more like the sun getting hotter and putting off more energy. You could get volcanic activity that was well above normal but again we don't. The magnetic fields have changed regularly every 200,000 years or so, so they are also in the graph I already showed you.

Earth’s magnetic field now flips more often than ever

It's not so much that that I don't believe that anything else COULD do what you're saying is happening, just that we don't have any reason to believe they are. Where as, we do have good evidence of all that extra CO2 we pump into the atmosphere directly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We know hundreds of things that influence CO2 and temperature, just none that have changed to the extent that they pumped an extra 100ppm into the atmosphere more than in the maximum over the last 800,000 years.

I don't know how to get you to look at everything rather than look at them individually. Individually none of these factors become a problem until they are all compound on top of each other. Everyone is fixated on co2.

I have no doubt people are contributing. But regardless of how you veiw it this is a natural process that has happened many times before in the earth's history. The world is not going to blow up. All life, and mankind is not going to cease to exist. And we cannot stop what is coming.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know how to get you to look at everything rather than look at them individually. Individually none of these factors become a problem until they are all compound on top of each other. Everyone is fixated on co2.

Well, we would have to explain the CO2 increase some other way to say it isn't human caused.

I have no doubt people are contributing. But regardless of how you veiw it this is a natural process that has happened many times before in the earth's history. The world is not going to blow up. All life, and mankind is not going to cease to exist. And we cannot stop what is coming.

We actually have 0 precedent for this quick of a CO2 increase.

So, the "it's all going to be fine" approach is a bit like sticking your head in the sand.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, we would have to explain the CO2 increase some other way to say it isn't human caused.

We actually have 0 precedent for this quick of a CO2 increase.

So, the "it's all going to be fine" approach is a bit like sticking your head in the sand.

I dont think all is going to be fine. I think it is naive to think we can control a natural phenomenon rather than prepare for it. Like somehow mankind is the all powerful ruler of the earth. Were not in control of this thing, Were just in its path.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I dont think all is going to be fine. I think it is naive to think we can control a natural phenomenon rather than prepare for it. Like somehow mankind is the all powerful ruler of the earth. Were not in control of this thing, Were just in its path.

In this case I don't think we're capable of controlling even ourselves, to our detriment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In this case I don't think we're capable of controlling even ourselves, to our detriment.

Were not. I agree with you there. Look, the climate is changing. I'm not denying that. I just do not believe we are in control of this cosmos. A lot of record breaking everything, even in the heavens has been occuring. We are not in control of it, and to think that we are the only 'thing' that can either cause or stop our own destruction is a bit naive in my point of veiw.

I mean what kid of megalomania is it that mankind thinks it is the only force in all of existence that can create or destroy its own existence. Are we realy that powerful? Do we realy have everything figured out and in our own control?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If doing things like raising cattle on a farm adds so much to our impact on the environment, then what is nature doing to itself by having millions of deer, elk, buffalo, horses, etc. multiplying in the wild all by themselves without any regulation?

You're straying away from the talking point of the day so don't be surprised by the castigation or the silence. I'm assuming they weren't briefed about the amount of pigs/chickens consumed either. :scratch:

Upvote 0