Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Democratic Rep. Jared Moskowitz (Fla.) suggested Tuesday that Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) may face censure over her statements on the Israel-Hamas war once the House elects a Speaker.

“This is about U.S. intelligence, this is about U.S. information, this is about not willing to trust the Biden administration and U.S. intelligence but instead continuing to pretend like the Ministry of Health out of Gaza is nothing other than a terrorist organization,” he added.

Rep. Moskowitz raises a valid point...in terms of consistency, it's going to be an "egg on one's face" moment if a group of people defend Tlaib for siding with a foreign entity over US intelligence. That was one of the things that was a real sticking point with Trump (when he was opting to question our own intelligence entities and instead seemingly siding with a foreign entity over our own intelligence)

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that US Intelligence agencies are above scrutiny...however, I also didn't take the stance that "anyone who questions them is a traitor". It's folks of that ilk that will have to find a way to reconcile this.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Democratic Rep. Jared Moskowitz (Fla.) suggested Tuesday that Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) may face censure over her statements on the Israel-Hamas war once the House elects a Speaker.

“This is about U.S. intelligence, this is about U.S. information, this is about not willing to trust the Biden administration and U.S. intelligence but instead continuing to pretend like the Ministry of Health out of Gaza is nothing other than a terrorist organization,” he added.

Rep. Moskowitz raises a valid point...in terms of consistency, it's going to be an "egg on one's face" moment if a group of people defend Tlaib for siding with a foreign entity over US intelligence. That was one of the things that was a real sticking point with Trump (when he was opting to question our own intelligence entities and instead seemingly siding with a foreign entity over our own intelligence)

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that US Intelligence agencies are above scrutiny...however, I also didn't take the stance that "anyone who questions them is a traitor". It's folks of that ilk that will have to find a way to reconcile this.
Easy. Tlaib isn’t President of the United States. She only represents her district of voters, not the entire country. That’s I think, the main reason people had a problem with Trump siding with Vladimir Putin, a foreign and very obviously adversarial head of state. Trump, aside from drawing some criticism over it, also faced no consequences over the matter. Idk if representatives should be held to a higher standard than the president.

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easy. Tlaib isn’t President of the United States. She only represents her district of voters, not the entire country. That’s I think, the main reason people had a problem with Trump siding with Vladimir Putin, a foreign and very obviously adversarial head of state.
But didn't other house reps and senators also take some heat for doing the same when that was going on?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But didn't other house reps and senators also take some heat for doing the same when that was going on?
Probably. Idk that any of them faced any kind of formal censure over it though. Reps and Senators haven’t even seen ant punishment over supporting his efforts to overturn the election so I don’t see how this would even come close to being as bad.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Tlaib was clearly wrong. Isn't that censure enough? She's a demagogic junior congresswoman from the rust belt, not the bogieman that the Right makes her out to be, like some kind of prominent figure in the Democratic party.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tlaib was clearly wrong. Isn't that censure enough? She's a demagogic junior congresswoman from the rust belt, not the bogieman that the Right makes her out to be, like some kind of prominent figure in the Democratic party.
I don't think she's a boogieman of sorts...I don't really think that about anyone in the legislative branch. That kind of suspicion I reserve for the CIA lol.

In terms of prominence, I think she (like a handful of others in the legislative branch) do have an outsized level of notoriety and reach that's atypical of a legislative member who doesn't hold a special position.

For instance, if I were to ask a lot of people, most wouldn't be able to name their own house rep or recognize them if they passed them in the grocery store. Per FiveThirtyEight, only 37% of people know who their own house rep is, yet everyone's heard of names like AOC and Tlaib from the left, and names like Boebert and Matt Gaetz from the right.

Same goes in the senate...if I asked most people "Name a Senator from Iowa", they'd have to google it...but I bet they'd know names like Rand Paul and Cory Booker.

Same is even true for Governors... can most people name who the governor of Vermont or Rhode Island or Oregon currently is off the cuff? Not likely...but they've all heard of DeSantis, Whitmer, and Newsom.

I think it stems from social media. It allows localized figures to become household names and gain an outsized fan base (or in some cases "enemies list") compared to what they would've been able to accrue 15 years ago.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it stems from social media. It allows localized figures to become household names and gain an outsized fan base (or in some cases "enemies list") compared to what they would've been able to accrue 15 years ago.

Outside of political junkies 30-40 years ago, that's probably true. You could see the beginnings of that with the rise of CNN in the 80's and C-Span in the 90's. Social media has just intensified it.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easy. Tlaib isn’t President of the United States. She only represents her district of voters, not the entire country.
Per my reply to the other user (and I should've quoted yours at the same time)

Certain people (even in regional capacities) gain outsized popularity and influence...even over people outside of their jurisdictions thanks to social media.

I gave some examples before of how some house reps are household names, while others exist in relative obscurity.

For instance, it was Tlaib who gave an impassioned outside the capitol building before people went in to protest on the Israel/Hamas situation.

Do you think all of the people involved in that protest were from the Michigan-12 district? Or is it possible that she (like other politicians like AOC, Cory Booker, and Rand Paul) have followings and fan bases comprised of a lot of people who don't even live in their respective jurisdictions?

Her official congressional Twitter/X page has 500k followers. (the two Senators from her state have less than a quarter of that)

People like AOC have 13 million followers, her district only has 700,000 people.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

'Shut up, Colonel Sanders'

23 Republicans joined Democrats in shooting down MTG's censure proposal

After Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas) slammed the “feckless” Tlaib censure proposal for making “legally and factually unverified claims," Greene shot back on social media that he should "shut up," calling him "Colonel Sanders" in an apparent reference to his facial hair.

1698957766099.png

• Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

After Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas) slammed the “feckless” Tlaib censure proposal for making “legally and factually unverified claims," Greene shot back on social media that he should "shut up," calling him "Colonel Sanders" in an apparent reference to his facial hair.

View attachment 338803
1698958257424.png

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

A censure resolution from Georgia GOP Rep. Rich McCormick has advanced, with 6 GOP reps and 1 Dem rep 'switching sides' as it were.

MTG has introduced another one of her own, but it will likely fail since this one has advanced (and nobody likes her).

The House voted Tuesday to advance a resolution to censure Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib after a Democratic effort to block the measure failed, setting up an expected vote on final passage of the resolution Wednesday.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A censure resolution from Georgia GOP Rep. Rich McCormick has advanced, with 6 GOP reps and 1 Dem rep 'switching sides' as it were.

MTG has introduced another one of her own, but it will likely fail since this one has advanced (and nobody likes her).

The House voted Tuesday to advance a resolution to censure Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib after a Democratic effort to block the measure failed, setting up an expected vote on final passage of the resolution Wednesday.
Good to see the House hard at work resolving the everyday issues of the American people.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Good to see the House hard at work resolving the everyday issues of the American people.
Freedom of speech apparently doesn’t include unpopular speech, anymore, now.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0