Deliberate sin and taking advantage off Christs gift

• Thread starter Ilovejesus31014
  • Start date
I

Ilovejesus31014

I was reading Hebrews and saw that is said that whoever continues to sin deliberately after having received knowledge of the truth that there is no more sacrifice for them and that a fiery judgement will await them.i am so scared and hopeless:( I have taken advantage of Christ gift by deliberately sinning and the a sky or forgiveness. I did this after having becoming a born again christian.Can I still be forgive if I ask Christ for forgiveness and to try and not sin again and ask for his Holy Spirit?

Shattered-Reflections

Saved by Grace
Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
To quote a source:

e. If they fall away: Remember there is a great difference between falling and falling away. Falling away isn't just falling into some sin, it is actually departing from Jesus Himself. For a righteous man may fall seven times and rise again, but the wicked shall fall by calamity. (Proverbs 24:16) The difference is between a Peter and a Judas. If you depart from Jesus, there is no hope!

i. The message to these Christians who felt like giving up was clear: if you don't continue on with Jesus, don't suppose you will find salvation by just going on with the old basics that are common to Judaism; if you aren't saved in Jesus, you aren't saved!

ii. If one falls like this, does it mean they can't repent? That God prohibits their repentance? Remember first that repentance itself is a gift from God; no one genuinely repents without God's enabling. Second, if one does repent, that in itself is evidence that they have not truly fallen away.

iii. The idea is not that "if you fall away, you can't come back to Jesus ever," but that "if you turn your back on Jesus, don't expect to find salvation anywhere else, especially in the foundations of Judaism apart from the fullness of Jesus."

iv. "This passage has nothing to do with those who fear lest it condemns them. The presence of that anxiety, like the cry which betrayed the real mother in the days of Solomon, establishes beyond a doubt that you are not one that has fallen away beyond the possibility of renewal to repentance." (Meyer)

Source: Text Commentaries: David Guzik (Blue Letter Bible: Hebrews)

Coming back and forgiveness

Galatians 6:1
Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself.

James 5:19-20
My dear brothers and sisters, if someone among you wanders away from the truth and is brought back, you can be sure that whoever brings the sinner back will save that person from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins.

James 5:15
Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven.

1 John 1:8-10
If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.

1 John 2:1-3
My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.

Luke 17:3-4
“If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive. Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.”

1 Corinthians 5:5
Then you must throw this man out and hand him over to Satan so that his sinful nature will be destroyed and he himself will be saved on the day the Lord returns.

The church or God allowing someone to have whatever their sinful desires are, is an act of tough love so that they may be saved, Not lost.

2 Corinthians 2:5-8
I am not overstating it when I say that the man who caused all the trouble hurt all of you more than he hurt me. Most of you opposed him, and that was punishment enough. Now, however, it is time to forgive and comfort him. Otherwise he may be overcome by discouragement. So I urge you now to reaffirm your love for him.

Even after rebuking a believer for their sin, the church is suppose to come in and comfort them. Wouldn't God do the same?

Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?”
“No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!

Jesus says we should forgive people "completely" because God forgives our debt. If God requires us to forgive those who trespass us, won't he forgive us when we ask for forgiveness?

Matthew 10:33
But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.

Matthew 26:35
“No!” Peter insisted. “Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!” And all the other disciples vowed the same.

Matthew 26:75
Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he went away, weeping bitterly.

John 21:17
A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.

Jesus was clear about if you deny Him, He will deny you. Peter did just that, not once but three times. Peter lied, Peter left Jesus for dead, Peter wanting nothing to do with Him. After His resurrection Jesus didn't expel Peter from the group, but instead humbled Peter by asking if he really, truly meant what he said. Didn't Jesus say he would deny him? Was Jesus a liar now? No, but why is that? Because Christ paid the debt, so when he says you're forgiven he has ALL authority to do so.

Been talking about this in another thead: http://www.christianforums.com/t7806527-2/ Not sure if it'll be helpful, but there's a further explanation of Hebrews 6 there and sin.

Reactions: parsley
Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
I was reading Hebrews and saw that is said that whoever continues to sin deliberately after having received knowledge of the truth that there is no more sacrifice for them and that a fiery judgement will await them.i am so scared and hopeless:( I have taken advantage of Christ gift by deliberately sinning and the a sky or forgiveness. I did this after having becoming a born again christian.Can I still be forgive if I ask Christ for forgiveness and to try and not sin again and ask for his Holy Spirit?

Do you really think there are any Christians who have not sinned deliberately since becoming Christians? There may be some deluded individuals who would make such a claim, but any sane and conscious Christian knows very well that they have sinned deliberately.

The “sinning deliberately” it is referring to is the the specific and definite sin of deliberately rejecting and denying the Person and work of Jesus Christ. Some of the Hebrew Christians in Jerusalem were on the brink of repudiating and renouncing the efficacy of the life and death of Jesus; of denying and disavowing that Jesus was God’s Messiah and Savior. Apostasy is intentional and contemptuous desertion and defection from Christ. It is that same willful sin being referred to in that passage, as it was in Hebrews 3:12 and 6:4-8.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are all sinners saved by grace, and we all have a particular spiritual 'Achilles heel' which we can identify as a flaw which we need to contend with. This may be a habit which we acquired years earlier, a weakness which we have (such as a phobia or mania), or it may even be a form of addiction. These God knows about; they are why our salvation needed to be accomplished by him through his Son, Jesus Christ, rather than its being accomplished through anything we might do.

However, there are those who believe that our accepting Christ's sacrifice as the perfect atonement actually gives us license to live lifestyles which are totally opposed to the teachings of Holy Writ without any fear of judgement. They see his sacrifice as a license for them to continue to follow the dictates of their sinful nature irregardless of where that sinful nature takes them. But Scripture itself is very clear in its teaching that if our acceptance is genuine, we will find ourselves being led by a new nature which conforms to God's will:

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-cnotrol. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:16-26,NIV)

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is like a lawyer who will fight for our salvation where our future decisions to remain sinless must be a constant daily habit. Sinful actions can vary from being seemingly harmless, such as stealing food products from the supermarket - to something illegally serious, such as drug smuggling or homicide:.
Proof of Jesus is total self-control as abundance of Christ's peace is forever flowing spiritually in your heart and out to others as you socially react with other individuals in your life, whether they are Christian or not. Outside circumstances, where the television news gives us a good indication on how bible prophecy written so long ago relates to world events, should sooner or later stir and awaken the minds of non-Christians that their lives are at risk as conflict is brewing in the Middle East that will eventually lead to a nuclear war and if it happens, the group of nations in that area would suffer genocide on a massive scale that would kick World War I and II out of the ballpark:.
I believe that this is the generation that we as believers of Christ, as well as Satan, will witness Christ's global victory return never before experienced in human history or Satan's brief 'several thousand years' mankind-deceiving life .;'*';. Rev 21:2
:liturgy:

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As long as you recognize your sin and go to God for forgiveness
and you don't turn your back on Christ, you will be forgiven.

We know that no one is sinless.
We know that Christians still sin.
We know that Christ has died for our sins so that we can be adopted
by God as His sons and daughters.
We know that God did not send His son into the world to condemn it
but to save all who would turn to Him in Christ.

The scripture you quoted is talking about someone who turns his back on Christ and
rejects Him and then lives a life of sin.

God's arms are open wide to you as He loves you and so if you see that
you have been wrong, then run to Him in Christ and ask for and receive
God's forgiveness as offered to all who have faith in Jesus Christ.

If God tells us to forgive others over and over again, don't you think that God is
more merciful to us as sinners as He goes far beyond the abilities of man to
forgive those who come to Him over and over again looking for His forgiveness and help.

Matthew 18
21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall
I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

If we could live sinless lives there would have been no reason for Christ to
come and die for our sins as we would simply live perfect lives.

Being imperfect and knowing that we depend daily of God's love and mercy
to cover our sins in Christ, should make us humble and dependant upon
God as we seek His help daily to live the life He calls us to in Christ.

A good read for you would be Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray
as the author makes it clear what God requires of us and what He is willing
to do for those who trust Him and follow Him in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

this came up in another thread recently, so please pardon the repost in this thread...

Heb 6:4-6
(4) For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
(5) And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
(6) If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

there are several requirements laid out here that must be met before a Christian can reject God:

-once enlightened
-tasted of the heavenly gift
-made partaker of the Holy Ghost
-made partaker of the powers of the world to come

we aren't sure exactly what these things mean, but it is evident that this is speaking of a mature Christian; but look closely at the next requirements:

-having crucified the Son of God afresh
-having put Him to an open shame

if you take this literally, then you're obviously safe - but even taken metaphorically, this is referring to one having judged Jesus to be a complete impostor, deserving of death - and having taught this openly to others - this refers to an active hatred of Jesus, not just a period of overindulgence in one's flesh

the language here is so strong that it's likely that no one has ever met these requirements - i personally take this as sarcastic to shut down any doubts a Christian might have that they have out-sinned the forgiveness that Jesus bought for us. and the very fact that you want to come back to God rather than curse Jesus is ample evidence that you have not reached this point of total rejection of your salvation - even if you have attained the level of spiritual maturity that is required before this is possible...

i think part of your problem might be that you are elevating your sins to a point in your own mind where they might equal or exceed the power of God's forgiveness - focus instead on how in one instant God through Jesus forgave not only your sins, but the sins of the WHOLE WORLD FOR ALL TIME - your sins are all but immeasurable compared to His power to forgive!

remember, faith is not based on feelings - faith is based on what God has said, and His words do not change no matter how you feel. focus on His words of life instead of your shortcomings, and if you don't give up, your feelings will eventually change to match the (almost too good to be true) Good news of the whole Gospel, as there is much more in the Gospel than forgiveness of sins! receive your forgiveness, step boldly back into the Throne-room of His Grace, and move on toward increased understanding of His promises to you beyond the first step of avoiding hell

Upvote 0