Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since I had to go out and buy more fresh beef for my ailing doggie, I stopped at Bed bath and Beyond first to purchase more Fresh Saver/ Food bags. These are working... unlike the ones I bought at Walmart. It was also at bbb that I had bought the first set of bags and the dehydrator itself.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP and others here ...
can I ask you for a simple favor? When you talk about a new device thats handy for food preparation, or in the home, can you give some quick feedbackback about the machine that you bought? Was it good value, is it reliable, does it work properly?

I am asking because my wife and I have had great problems buying a variety of simple devices. we typically buy them from the local home store. A lot of machines do not work properly, and we have to return them. recently we had to return two garden tools on the same day ... different brands ... because both were faulty. This is a huge waste of our time, and it is frustrating. Im sure that you have been in the same boat.

So if you can offer some guidance about reliable products ... meaning things you actually bought and used yourself, it would be very helpful.

Blessings!!

• Useful
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Today I ...
Thank you so much for all these wonderful posts! I am in the middle of a mini crisis now but Lord help me to get back here to bask in you knowledge! :clap:

• Friendly
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know a lot but I'm really learning more in this endeavor! Thanks for the encouragement!

A mini-crisis is similar, to me, to a small crowd. You'll get through it.... God always brings me through mine.... including my doggie right now... sigh... heavy sigh....

All the newer fresh saver bags are sealing just fine. I have 9 of the previous bag of 18 that are defective. Maybe more as I already double bagged some and put them in storage on the van (my BOV bug out van soon to be home)... I hate the thought of the time and energy to go get them and see. I have so much to get done and I'm so far behind...but then again I remind myself (no, God reminds me) it's HIS timing and I won't fall behind HIS timing, nor will I rush ahead of it.

All in God's time. I'm doing fine. This will all work out.

so...

I'm doing only 2 trays tonight... I think. Yes, I pulled the cucumber "sticks" lol they are like 6" long blades of straw. Ok I remind myself (oops) that when rehydrated they will be like before, not that I'm going to do that, I will just suck and chew on them... let's see I forgot to write that down... 3 strips per 8th of a cuke? lololol

I simply must write this on the bags!!! I cannot be eating, say, a whole apple even though it's "only" so many chips! Or a whole cuke... because it's "only" so many straws! :D

Now if I can just recall what those 2 trays I'm doing tonight are...

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since I had to go out and buy more fresh beef for my ailing doggie, I stopped at Bed bath and Beyond first to purchase more Fresh Saver/ Food bags. These are working... unlike the ones I bought at Walmart. It was also at bbb that I had bought the first set of bags and the dehydrator itself.
There are directions on youtube on how to use regular freezer bags. I am not sure I would trust a long term prep item in a zip lock bag.:scratch:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok. On the dehydrator: I researched "best" on the market... and had a few choices. Then I compared them with what I heard and saw on a few people's youtube videos. Since mine will be in storage mostly, or with my assistant, I didn't see a need to go large or expensive. (I AM part Scot remember :D).

I bought the Nesco SnackMaster with 4 trays, it came with one solid tray insert and I bought 2 more. Some of the reason I chose it: the motor/fan is on top...so no dripping down into the motor like other; it wasn't huge but seemed adequate in size for me; it wasn't that expensive. I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond (FL) for under $60 I think. Some of the reviews said it was pretty quiet and I find that to be so... however turning off and flipping the fan section over and shaking from time to time helps keep the fan from hitting... I guess when it heats up some part of it warps a bit and is hit? IDK... but it's the same sound level as my table top room air cleaner on high. Another reason is it has settings on the top of it, telling the temperature to set each item--printed at the mark where you need to put the dial. Easy peasy for me. It came with a basic book and some recipes and time estimates etc.

Two things that you might want to realize: there is no switch, pull the plug for off. There is no timer.
If I misspoke on any of the above, refer to my original posts which were more accurate :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Kale chips are the best!

I FOUND SOME! Thanks so much... a fluke? Nah, God had them there when I happen to look for them: big bunch of fresh kale with really large leaves... several (8-10) inches long and at least 3-4" wide. YAY they are drying now.

Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I FOUND SOME! Thanks so much... a fluke? Nah, God had them there when I happen to look for them: big bunch of fresh kale with really large leaves... several (8-10) inches long and at least 3-4" wide. YAY they are drying now.

Yay! Awesome! Let me know how they come out!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh yes ... but yet another foods I can no longer eat. :( but I would think the bell peppers or red, yellow, would lend themselves quite readily to dehyrating! Just the right thickness.

I have 4 trays of banana slices drying :D Nice large fat bananas. 50 slices per tray! (One banana.)

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yay! Awesome! Let me know how they come out!

WOW... very very paper thin... but lovely and crispy... I was eager to see how well they vacuum pack and being careful, they did well. I am trying to think of which "lock and lock" container I can put the bags into to keep them from becoming crushed as we travel. ;)

I want to go buy more while they are still in the store, but alas I am physically drained today and spent my energy on the banana slicing. (And feeding, watering my doggie who is quite happy to sleep alongside me today.)

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
WOW... very very paper thin... but lovely and crispy... I was eager to see how well they vacuum pack and being careful, they did well. I am trying to think of which "lock and lock" container I can put the bags into to keep them from becoming crushed as we travel. ;)

I want to go buy more while they are still in the store, but alas I am physically drained today and spent my energy on the banana slicing. (And feeding, watering my doggie who is quite happy to sleep alongside me today.)
Sounds good!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My neighbor brought me 3 Hayden mangoes (no strings attached --double entendre!) I let my assistant have one with her lunch and then she sliced and I dehydrated the other two overnight. I'm giving them back to the neighbor to enjoy later on. :D

They are more elderly than I (he's in his 80s) so I wasn't sure about whether they would like "fruit rollup" type mangoes so I took a slice and rehydrated it... wow nice could put the whole bag into a small bowl of water and wait and drain and add ice cream! lol

• Agree
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well I'm really confused now.

Livestrong and NIH or someone "official" says dehydrated meats only last 2 weeks. Some people say3 weeks, others say 3 months if kept dark and not hot.

I'm talking about very lean cooked dehydrated meat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
SO I put the dehydrated protein into the refrigerator for now, to allow it to keep longer.
IMG_1999_Moment.jpg

Here's a pic of the kale I bought more of, and later dehydrated.
It's lightweight and easy to store on the van, and very good for me and the dog both!

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I'm really confused now.

Livestrong and NIH or someone "official" says dehydrated meats only last 2 weeks. Some people say3 weeks, others say 3 months if kept dark and not hot.

I'm talking about very lean cooked dehydrated meat.
I dunno. Has to do with the way you prepare it I think. Lots of salt and or sugar I think is supposed to help out. As little fat as possible too. The fat goes rancid as you know. Some people swear by canning meat, a thing we have not tried yet and am a bit afraid of. We will try the meat on the hoof, or rather meat on the chicken leg. We have new neighbors so that may be tough... not sure how they will take chickens.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SO I put the dehydrated protein into the refrigerator for now, to allow it to keep longer. View attachment 230913

Here's a pic of the kale I bought more of, and later dehydrated.
It's lightweight and easy to store on the van, and very good for me and the dog both!
Chips!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NEVER AGAIN will I coat banana slices with honey to dehydrate!
Okay so in the past I had ordered a 3 day supply of food stuffs from Patriot's Supply... and it's in a pocket acting like insulation on my van, just in case. It didn't appear to be anything I could eat unless it was dire :D

But I contacted them about their foods and asked questions "no one had ever asked before" and they were great (via email) and we chatted a bit and they got back to me with info each time. As it turns out the only thing that looked like I could eat and order (they were having a big sale) was the honey coated banana slices. But in the end, they could not tell me what plants the bees had available and since I'm allergic to weeds, I couldn't order.

So I decide I would do it myself and watched two or three vlogs on the subject--all warning me it would take longer to dry maybe 17 hours... eh Ok by me.

I used the orange blossum honey that agrees with me and very lightly coated the slices, allowing them to drain back into the dipping bowl first too...and put them into the snack master.

That was 3:30 pm YESTERDAY. It's 10pm the next night! THAT'S 30 . 5 HOURS!!! and they are still in there, somewhat bendable... and will remain there til I get up in the morning!

WHAT A MESS too. I put them onto the rollup trays so the honey wouldn't drip down at all (NOT sure why I cared about this, the tray underneath was the same and I could have put them at the bottom... sigh)

THEN I had to flip them... nothing worked well... and ended up trying to peel them up with my fingers... which took forever. They are still going to be brown (ok by me) but I was thinking the honey would seal the color: nope. That takes ascorbic acid. Sigh. I really don't care.

The temperature is the same as for all the fruits I do ..set at 135 degrees.

They kale refreshed, the brussel sprouts dried... but not the bananas. ((I had to redo the last batch of kale because of bags failure. The whole package I bought from Walmart refused to remain sealed and I suspect they are buying knock offs from China, like other products that don't work etc... I will be returning the bags along with a few other things this weekend if it ever stops storming.)) Unfortunately the kale is not in big chip size any longer, having to be put into 2 bags and removed once already.

But the bananas will stay eternally plain for the future...

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NEVER AGAIN will I coat banana slices with honey to dehydrate!
Okay so in the past I had ordered a 3 day supply of food stuffs from Patriot's Supply... and it's in a pocket acting like insulation on my van, just in case. It didn't appear to be anything I could eat unless it was dire :D

But I contacted them about their foods and asked questions "no one had ever asked before" and they were great (via email) and we chatted a bit and they got back to me with info each time. As it turns out the only thing that looked like I could eat and order (they were having a big sale) was the honey coated banana slices. But in the end, they could not tell me what plants the bees had available and since I'm allergic to weeds, I couldn't order.

So I decide I would do it myself and watched two or three vlogs on the subject--all warning me it would take longer to dry maybe 17 hours... eh Ok by me.

I used the orange blossum honey that agrees with me and very lightly coated the slices, allowing them to drain back into the dipping bowl first too...and put them into the snack master.

That was 3:30 pm YESTERDAY. It's 10pm the next night! THAT'S 30 . 5 HOURS!!! and they are still in there, somewhat bendable... and will remain there til I get up in the morning!

WHAT A MESS too. I put them onto the rollup trays so the honey wouldn't drip down at all (NOT sure why I cared about this, the tray underneath was the same and I could have put them at the bottom... sigh)

THEN I had to flip them... nothing worked well... and ended up trying to peel them up with my fingers... which took forever. They are still going to be brown (ok by me) but I was thinking the honey would seal the color: nope. That takes ascorbic acid. Sigh. I really don't care.

The temperature is the same as for all the fruits I do ..set at 135 degrees.

They kale refreshed, the brussel sprouts dried... but not the bananas. ((I had to redo the last batch of kale because of bags failure. The whole package I bought from Walmart refused to remain sealed and I suspect they are buying knock offs from China, like other products that don't work etc... I will be returning the bags along with a few other things this weekend if it ever stops storming.)) Unfortunately the kale is not in big chip size any longer, having to be put into 2 bags and removed once already.

But the bananas will stay eternally plain for the future...
Wow... note to self... nix on the honey coated naners.
thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0