Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe it's a misnomer, but who cares? In day-to-day context, eveyone understands it to mean "a person with a different set of genitalia than another". It's sufficient enough so that no language barriers are thrust into the conversation, and I don't think anyone gets confused when someone says "opposite sex"

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
so opposite sex = different genitalia? Genitalia is everything whe need?

Of course not... but I simply pointed out that no one gets confused when we talk about "opposite sex"..

I'm sure you have a point to make...?

Upvote 0

Taure

May 20, 2005
London
✟949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What?

If I am male, then the sex opposite to me is female.

If I am female, then the sex opposide to me is male.

There you go, simply as.

The only exception would be those who are born Hermaphrodite, in which case they are both sexes, and have no opposite.

Upvote 0

an7222

Rational morality is a must
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,497.00
Faith
Atheist
What?

If I am male, then the sex opposite to me is female.

If I am female, then the sex opposide to me is male.

There you go, simply as.

The only exception would be those who are born Hermaphrodite, in which case they are both sexes, and have no opposite.
What makes somebody male or female? genitalia only?

Upvote 0

Taure

May 20, 2005
London
✟949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, if we're speaking of humans here, a male is:

a person bearing an X and Y chromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles, and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.

And a female is:

a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.

Quotes from www.dictionary.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

an7222

Rational morality is a must
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,497.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, if we're speaking of humans here, a male is:

And a female is:

Quotes from www.dictionary.com
So it's not genitalia that determines gender, but chromossomes. Yet it's not enouth becaouse not everybody is XX or XY, and there are the XX males and many other genetic disorders.

Upvote 0

Velo Princesse

The Glue That Holds It All Together
Jan 12, 2005
✟17,079.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What makes somebody male or female? genitalia only?

When people say "opposite sex" they are generally talking about the sex that is PHYSICALLY your opposite.

However, the thing that makes you a male or a female in identity is not in between your legs. While most people identify themselves as the same gender that they are physically it is obviously not because of their parts as there are many people who can't identify with their physical gender. And a hermaphrodite will often identify as either male or female as opposed to both.

Upvote 0

GryffinSong

open-minded skeptic
May 7, 2007
✟8,739.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
We seem to live in a world that likes to divide things into opposites. Man/woman, black/white, on/off, good/evil, etc. In truth, most things are, in my opinion, better described as a scale or range.

In the context of relationships, some say "appropriate sex" so as to be inclusive of relationships other than man/woman. But why not just say "partner" or "friend" or "companion".

There are other sexes than just male and female. Intersexed persons with various combinations of genitalia, for instance. Or people who are born with a body that doesn't "feel right" to them, in terms of sexuality.

I'd love to see a world where we were all accepted for whomever we are. No need to surgically alter our bodies, hide in closets, or lock anyone away. Just be ourselves, and not worry about which category, what label, what genitalia, etc., the person has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums