✟108,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm in a bit of a quandary.
Wife and I spent the last five years living off grid in a cabin in the mountains.
While there, I had several fire arms with which to choose.
Some for hunting.
Some for scaring off large predators.
Some for defending ourselves when renegades and unsavory folks appeared.

Now, we bought a place in town.
I don't have much use for most of these weapons.
I'll probably rid myself of most or all.

My question;

In what appears to be the last days, is defending oneself even Christian?
Considering Jesus' words in Matthew 26:52

I mean, I can see giving up my own life, as some sort of a martyr.
But, in regard to protecting wife and family, I'm having trouble with not bearing arms.

I really don't care to see personal opinion unless it's coupled with supporting texts.
But would appreciate some responses to head me in a right direction.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm in a bit of a quandary.
Wife and I spent the last five years living off grid in a cabin in the mountains.
While there, I had several fire arms with which to choose.
Some for hunting.
Some for scaring off large predators.
Some for defending ourselves when renegades and unsavory folks appeared.

Now, we bought a place in town.
I don't have much use for most of these weapons.
I'll probably rid myself of most or all.

My question;

In what appears to be the last days, is defending oneself even Christian?
Considering Jesus' words in Matthew 26:52

I mean, I can see giving up my own life, as some sort of a martyr.
But, in regard to protecting wife and family, I'm having trouble with not bearing arms.

I really don't care to see personal opinion unless it's coupled with supporting texts.
But would appreciate some responses to head me in a right direction.

old saying .... better to have and not need .... than .... to NOT have and need ... keep the ones you might need ;o)

Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟108,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
old saying .... better to have and not need .... than .... to NOT have and need ... keep the ones you might need ;o)
I get that.
And have always held tight to my weapons.
However, the deeper I get in my Christian experience, the less needful I become.

I'm surprised at the lack of response.....

Either this is a dead or dying site, or SDAs have no answers

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I get that.
And have always held tight to my weapons.
However, the deeper I get in my Christian experience, the less needful I become.

I'm surprised at the lack of response.....

Either this is a dead or dying site, or SDAs have no answers

A lot of SDAs are active on the "Sabbath and the Law" forum and some other denominational questions type forums. This forum is a "safe zone" for conservatives which means there is not a lot of "hot debate" here by people opposing SDAs over SDA doctrine because by the forum rules that sort of thing is discouraged. So while the members here are in good peaceful fellowship... not a lot of activity most weeks. (And I missed your initial post here - so sorry about that my friend).

As for the OP - SDAs are not "preppers" we don't have the "fort" model for fleeing persecution. It is more like the "persecuted saints" model. However when it comes to self defense - I think it is interesting what we find in Mark 3:27 "No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.".

So lets say an unarmed teen comes into your house and says he is going to steal everything in the home and punch each person one time before he leaves. You might decide to physically force him out of the house and off the property and tell him he will get a spanking if he tries that again. Same thing if an adult comes in unarmed but still threatens everyone -- I might be inclined to pick up a baseball bat and direct him out of the house and off the property.

So then that is physical force and self defense. Mark 3 seems to approve and so in my thinking a firearm for self defense fits that same category in the event of even worse-er scenarios.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Gary O'
Upvote 0