Kingston
✟15,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good afternoon, I have had trouble over the years finding a church which isn’t full of politics and clicks. I thought I could not find God in the local churches but God did tell me I was looking for God in people rather than coming to worship him.
So I guess my question is: The Bible says where two or more come together He is there but is it necessary for worship to attend a church which seems more about formality and less about everyone worshiping Him in their own way? Is it enough in this time of history to join TV ministries, online forums like this and donate to causes which help people directly? Just wondering what others think.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So I guess my question is: The Bible says where two or more come together He is there but is it necessary for worship to attend a church which seems more about formality and less about everyone worshiping Him in their own way?

Yes, it is necessary. The New Testament has LOTS of information about believers attending church and identifies a number of reasons for doing that which cannot be met by the stray believer who boycotts church.

And as for "worshipping Him in their own way," there's something to be said for that idea, but the corporate worship that goes on in church on Sunday isn't the one and only way to worship. But neither does that mean it's unimportant.

That said, I do appreciate your point about congregations and denominations that are full of politics and cliques, but there are others which do not fit that pattern and I urge you to find some of them and check them out.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personal prayer and study are important, but I have found that it is also important to me to worship with other people. Watching a service on TV or Zoom is fine (and there's been a lot of that during these years of COVID lockdown), but it's not the same as receiving Holy Communion in person or praying alongside someone who sees you and cares about you. Even with causes that help people: It's good to donate to causes, but it can be even better to (for example) work with other people in your congregation to cook dinner for a homeless family with your own two hands.

I'm an introvert, and I get the appeal of solitude, but there really is something about worshipping and serving alongside other human beings, in person.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I thought I could not find God in the local churches but God did tell me I was looking for God in people rather than coming to worship him.

May I suggest you check out your local churches via sites like christianity explored and there online service and own web sites.
Then contact the minister direct and either email or ring him to discuss his church.
No church is perfect, but many are seeking to show Jesus to their neighbours.
Check them out also to see what you have to offer, as we go to meet together to encourage others as well as to be encouraged. see Heb 10 25.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good afternoon, I have had trouble over the years finding a church which isn’t full of politics and clicks. I thought I could not find God in the local churches but God did tell me I was looking for God in people rather than coming to worship him.
So I guess my question is: The Bible says where two or more come together He is there but is it necessary for worship to attend a church which seems more about formality and less about everyone worshiping Him in their own way? Is it enough in this time of history to join TV ministries, online forums like this and donate to causes which help people directly? Just wondering what others think.

No, it is not enough to watch tv programs and pay money to organizations that claim to be dealing with one of your pet causes. If you cannot see Christ in the flawed human beings around you, then IMO you are missing the whole point. You will not find any place in the world where politics and clicks are absent. As a Christian we are tasked with loving our neighbor and our neighbor is often unsavory and even often engages in politics and clickish behavior. One cannot love a neighbor one shuns because the neighbor is imperfect. God loves us in all our imperfection, so it is our duty to love others in a similar way. I am convinced that the "two or more" criterion was intentional as a way to inform us that one cannot be a Christian in isolation from other Christians and Jesus choice of companions was in at least some way intentionally meant to show us that those other Christians might not be of the highest moral character. If you recall, John and James were shown to want to engage in politics and I would be surprised if among the disciples and apostles there were no clicks at all.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Acts chapter 8, the Holy Spirit sent Philip to an Ethiopian eunuch in a chariot traveling the road from Egypt northward along the Israeli coast. He was in his chariot reading Isaiah. Philip started by asking what he was reading. Philip started to preach to him. After hearing the good news, the eunuch wanted to be baptized.

In 1904-1905 a great revival happened after Evan Roberts left his job in a Welsh coal mine to study in a seminary. He left the seminary and went to preach. Churches where he preached were filled with people wanting to listen to him. People walked miles to go to the meetings. The Holy Spirit worked with young Evan Roberts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am convinced that the "two or more" criterion was intentional as a way to inform us that one cannot be a Christian in isolation from other Christians and Jesus choice of companions was in at least some way intentionally meant to show us that those other Christians might not be of the highest moral character.
It's normally understood to mean that God is with us, even if it's only two or three believers gathered together.

That's not the same as saying that if two or three come together, that this amounts to a de facto Christian congregation which can celebrate the Lord's Supper and fulfill every other task that a congregation exists in order to accomplish.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I watched a short documentary the other day on the Amish. I’m familiar with their teachings and practices. Some I agree with and others I don’t. Nevertheless, there’s qualities I appreciate.

Towards the end he said something that really hit home. He said if I die I know my family will be okay. Absolute certainty they’ll be cared for. He wasn’t talking about loved ones picking up the slack. He was referencing the community.

They showed a barn raising earlier. When a fire occurs you deal with insurance and usually have to wait before its repaired. But that isn’t their way. Two days later lumber and tools arrived. The frame went up and the building was underway.

I remember watching the roof in awe. Hammers moving melodically. So many hands at work. Well over a hundred it seemed. Working together for one in need. It’s beautiful to witness.

That degree of togetherness doesn’t occur haphazardly. You build it with others who share your vision and want the same. That’s what I want for myself and loved ones.

Life is too short to go through the motions. I need more. So I decided to build my own. I’m buying a homestead, building a chapel, and creating community. It isn’t a church or commune. It’s a way of life.

I want to fellowship and have a great meal afterwards. I want to share the harvest with the people helping me to bring it in. I want my employees to be well cared for and reap the benefits of our partnership. I want to shine light where its lacking and needed most.

That’s my solution and its underway. I’m connected with people doing the same or heading in that direction. God led us to one another. They’re raising their children, homeschooling, teaching them values, and exhibiting the same.

I wanted a living faith and I found it. In my work, relationships, and interests. We’re on the same page and that’s important. I hope you find the same.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I watched a short documentary the other day on the Amish. I’m familiar with their teachings and practices. Some I agree with and others I don’t. Nevertheless, there’s qualities I appreciate.

Towards the end he said something that really hit home. He said if I die I know my family will be okay. Absolute certainty they’ll be cared for. He wasn’t talking about loved ones picking up the slack. He was referencing the community.

They showed a barn raising earlier. When a fire occurs you deal with insurance and usually have to wait before its repaired. But that isn’t their way. Two days later lumber and tools arrived. The frame went up and the building was underway.

I remember watching the roof in awe. Hammers moving melodically. So many hands at work. Well over a hundred it seemed. Working together for one in need. It’s beautiful to witness.

That degree of togetherness doesn’t occur haphazardly. You build it with others who share your vision and want the same. That’s what I want for myself and loved ones.

Life is too short to go through the motions. I need more. So I decided to build my own. I’m buying a homestead, building a chapel, and creating community. It isn’t a church or commune. It’s a way of life.

I want to fellowship and have a great meal afterwards. I want to share the harvest with the people helping me to bring it in. I want my employees to be well cared for and reap the benefits of our partnership. I want to shine light where its lacking and needed most.

That’s my solution and its underway. I’m connected with people doing the same or heading in that direction. God led us to one another. They’re raising their children, homeschooling, teaching them values, and exhibiting the same.

I wanted a living faith and I found it. In my work, relationships, and interests. We’re on the same page and that’s important. I hope you find the same.

I have always thought modern Christians could learn a great deal from the Amish and how they live. In many ways the Amish are more Christian than most who profess to be Christian.

If Christians worked together for GOD's glory, not their own or an organisation, showed the love scripture describes and looked out for one another as scripture tells us too, it would be remarkable, the quality of life that would be achieved. Greed, pride, vanity, lacking humility toward GOD, selfishness in all avenues and independence all interfere with true Christian development.

I admire your aspirations in this regard. I hope you find that real Christian community and life you seek, it's something I've looked for my whole life. Many have tried but it's been short lived for most because they end up living for themselves, for reasons given previously and not for GOD. Devotion and love for GOD is key.

Peace be to all those in the Body of Christ.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have always thought modern Christians could learn a great deal from the Amish and how they live. In many ways the Amish are more Christian than most who profess to be Christian.

There are many things I appreciate about their culture. My grandmother had similar ideals regarding family. Her influence was felt by many generations. I’ve wanted an ancestral home since childhood. We had a place in the south but this one will be overseas. I’m fortunate my daughter shares my vision and works alongside.

If Christians worked together for GOD's glory, not their own or an organisation, showed the love scripture describes and looked out for one another as scripture tells us too, it would be remarkable, the quality of life that would be achieved.

There’s numerous differences amongst Christians. Differences in lifestyle, values, beliefs, etc. That’s difficult to surmount when you’re attempting things like this. You need common denominators beyond faith to foster oneness.

I admire your aspirations in this regard. I hope you find that real Christian community and life you seek, it's something I've looked for my whole life. Many have tried but it's been short lived for most because they end up living for themselves, for reasons given previously and not for GOD. Devotion and love for GOD is key.

Thank you. There are people like you out there. Ask the Lord to bring you together for His glory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hope you find that real Christian community and life you seek, it's something I've looked for my whole life. Many have tried but it's been short lived for most because they end up living for themselves, for reasons given previously and not for GOD. Devotion and love for GOD is key.
Good point/comment.
---
Many people are searching for..
- Genuine Christian fellowship/community.
- Beyond..'nicely packaged services/programs'..

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums