✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Death Row Liver Plea Turned Down

A US death row inmate who hoped to donate part of his liver to his sister has had his request for a last minute stay of execution turned down.

Gregory Scott Johnson, 40, is due to die by lethal injection on Wednesday.

He asked for clemency, or at least a delay, so that doctors could assess his suitability as a donor for his seriously ill sister, Debra Otis.
So should they test for suitability, or just go on with the execution? Even better question, should inmates get a stay on their execution if they wish to be organ donors?

JamesBell

May 25, 2005
Oklahoma
✟168.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
This was a ruling that made me sick. The man is going to die, so let's make sure he can't do something good before he dies for the wrongs he did. Makes no sense at all. It seems to boil down to a silly law that you cannot execute a sick person, meaning the taxpayers would have to pay to nurse the man back to health, and then execute him. I don't know why they couldn't just let him die on the table. Or, even better, why not execute him in a way that would allow him to be an organ donor. I am sure he would allow them to hang him, shoot him, or use any number of older techniques that would allow his organs to be used. In fact, shouldn't ALL inmates on death row be encouraged to donate their organs so that others can live? I would think that this should be a common practice!

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Ninja Turtles said:
Death Row Liver Plea Turned Down

So should they test for suitability, or just go on with the execution? Even better question, should inmates get a stay on their execution if they wish to be organ donors?
[/size]
Did his sister ask for his liver?

And it seems to state that the sister would do better off going the conventional route to get a liver.

So from appearences one would say go through with the execution. If Inmates are to be donars, then they should get checked for suitability when they enter prison.

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
According to a report I just read, a team of doctors evaluated him, and reported that due to his large body size, and the fact that he has Hep B antibodies in his system, it would be better for his sister to attempt to get a transplant through the regular system.

Upvote 0