After Latest Oklahoma Execution, Archbishop Coakley Calls for Death Penalty Abolition

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I implore all people of goodwill to join me in advocating for an end to the death penalty in Oklahoma and instead working toward actual justice that respects human dignity and prioritizes healing the wounds of grief and loss,” Archbishop Coakley said.

Archbishop Paul Coakley of Oklahoma City responded to Oklahoma’s execution of convicted murderer Jemaine Cannon with a call for the abolition of the death penalty, which he called an “archaic punishment.”

Archbishop Coakley also called for prayers for the condemned man, his victim, and their families.

Cannon, 51, was executed by lethal injection on Thursday morning at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester, about a 130-mile drive from Oklahoma City. He was sentenced to die for the 1995 murder of a Tulsa woman with whom he was hiding after escaping from a prison work center, the Associated Press reported.

Archbishop Coakley, in a Thursday statement posted to social media, saw a contrast between the Oklahoma execution and the end of nationwide legal abortion.

Continued below.

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In general, I oppose capital punishment. However, there are conditions that warrant the use.

This was the recommendation by a commission set up by then Governor Romney of MA.

1. A convict who kills while serving time in jail.
2. A convict serving time, who orders a contract on a person's life outside or inside the prison.
3. Killing a law enforcement officer while he/she is in the line of duty.

Failure to follow these conditions is why prison has become more dangerous than outside.
That being said however, society is quickly becoming a dangerous place to life.

Upvote 0