✟15,691.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,

Bit of a serious topic here. Not sure how I’m supposed to deal with it.

The context is that I come from an extremely abusive family. My parents were never happy; they fought each other every chance they got, and our family conversations would be filled with crap like my dad blaming my mom for ruining his life (he gave up an impressive job for her), and my mom threatening to commit suicide so he could collect life insurance, or bragging about how she once won a screaming match with my dad, then held a knife outside their bedroom, waiting for him to retaliate (which never happened). Towards me, my mom was the abusive one (just to give an example, she liked to tell me how she’ll kill herself if I don’t get some extraordinarily lucrative job by the time I’m twenty), while my dad was pretty good, though he seemed to think that his relationship with my mom had no bearing on me, and was more or less none of my business.

Fast forward to the point where I was planning to die, via a series of mistakes that were half mine, half there-was-nothing-else-I-could-have-done, since I really didn’t know better. God intervened and my mom and I were saved as a package deal; if she didn’t stop the abuse there was no way I could, in hindsight, take God seriously, nor begin the healing process. This was fine and all, but then something rather unexpected happened:

My mom and dad have been screaming at each other for divorce for as long as I can remember, but only after God intervened did they actually begin the process. Originally I thought it was resentment bursting, and thus didn’t pay too much attention, but it later turned out my dad began an affair with a married woman. My dad had always been an okay guy in my eyes, so I couldn't wrap my head around it. And prior to that woman my dad has NEVER lied to me; I’d like to think I’m right on this, for when the lies began they were so bloody transparent they were downright insulting.

This woman’s married and has two daughters. Her overseas husband works to support their family, in a developing country if I'm not mistaken; my dad, since they’ve met, has basically become her nanny/some other disgusting terms I’d really like to put here but can’t. Forgive me if I’m not sorry.

This was all two years ago. Now my parents are divorced, and I travel frequently between my parents’ houses. The affair continues, the woman’s husband has no idea, and my father’s becoming more and more brazen. The woman’s two daughters are aware of their affair, and has time to time proven extremely supportive. I said nothing to begin with, because there’s a real chance my father might kick me to the streets (it’s clear that to him I’m basically a burden he’s morally obligated to keep around), but it’s come to the point where he’d rather have his adultery-acquired? stepdaughters than his actual daughter, who, to give a little context, has been near-bedridden for three years. He’s becoming a slightly more taciturn version of my formerly abusive mother.

The woman’s husband found out a while ago, as far as I know. She managed to convince him everything was alright, and the affair continues. My dad sees no problem with it.

I don’t know what to do. Pray, yes, I know, but sometimes praying for certain people makes you so angry you no longer mean those prayers. Worse: you start to blame God for ordaining prayer in these situations. I’ve tried talking to my dad, and all I got were lies. This has honestly gone too far, and I see no plausible way out. The worst part is that God has called me to something He wants me to wait for (a little bit longer it seems), and I can’t do that without facing my parents. I don’t know what to do. My father has never screamed at me before this woman came along, and these days we can't talk without him degrading me in whatever way comes to mind, and screaming it at the top of his lungs.

The next time we do speak, I don’t think I’ll be able to control myself.

Works of the devil? An argument, yes, but I've prayed FOR TWO YEARS - nothing. Now what?

So, got any advice? I'm willing to take anything at this point. Also, the abuse doesn't actually bother me that much. My dad's had a hard life too, and he is unsaved, so I don't hold him all that accountable. It's the woman and her daughters and him basically pushing me out because of them that really gets to me.

• Prayers
Reactions: vinsight4u

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey all,

Bit of a serious topic here. Not sure how I’m supposed to deal with it.

The context is that I come from an extremely abusive family. My parents were never happy; they fought each other every chance they got, and our family conversations would be filled with crap like my dad blaming my mom for ruining his life (he gave up an impressive job for her), and my mom threatening to commit suicide so he could collect life insurance, or bragging about how she once won a screaming match with my dad, then held a knife outside their bedroom, waiting for him to retaliate (which never happened). Towards me, my mom was the abusive one (just to give an example, she liked to tell me how she’ll kill herself if I don’t get some extraordinarily lucrative job by the time I’m twenty), while my dad was pretty good, though he seemed to think that his relationship with my mom had no bearing on me, and was more or less none of my business.

Fast forward to the point where I was planning to die, via a series of mistakes that were half mine, half there-was-nothing-else-I-could-have-done, since I really didn’t know better. God intervened and my mom and I were saved as a package deal; if she didn’t stop the abuse there was no way I could, in hindsight, take God seriously, nor begin the healing process. This was fine and all, but then something rather unexpected happened:

My mom and dad have been screaming at each other for divorce for as long as I can remember, but only after God intervened did they actually begin the process. Originally I thought it was resentment bursting, and thus didn’t pay too much attention, but it later turned out my dad began an affair with a married woman. My dad had always been an okay guy in my eyes, so I couldn't wrap my head around it. And prior to that woman my dad has NEVER lied to me; I’d like to think I’m right on this, for when the lies began they were so bloody transparent they were downright insulting.

This woman’s married and has two daughters. Her overseas husband works to support their family, in a developing country if I'm not mistaken; my dad, since they’ve met, has basically become her nanny/some other disgusting terms I’d really like to put here but can’t. Forgive me if I’m not sorry.

This was all two years ago. Now my parents are divorced, and I travel frequently between my parents’ houses. The affair continues, the woman’s husband has no idea, and my father’s becoming more and more brazen. The woman’s two daughters are aware of their affair, and has time to time proven extremely supportive. I said nothing to begin with, because there’s a real chance my father might kick me to the streets (it’s clear that to him I’m basically a burden he’s morally obligated to keep around), but it’s come to the point where he’d rather have his adultery-acquired? stepdaughters than his actual daughter, who, to give a little context, has been near-bedridden for three years. He’s becoming a slightly more taciturn version of my formerly abusive mother.

The woman’s husband found out a while ago, as far as I know. She managed to convince him everything was alright, and the affair continues. My dad sees no problem with it.

I don’t know what to do. Pray, yes, I know, but sometimes praying for certain people makes you so angry you no longer mean those prayers. Worse: you start to blame God for ordaining prayer in these situations. I’ve tried talking to my dad, and all I got were lies. This has honestly gone too far, and I see no plausible way out. The worst part is that God has called me to something He wants me to wait for (a little bit longer it seems), and I can’t do that without facing my parents. I don’t know what to do. My father has never screamed at me before this woman came along, and these days we can't talk without him degrading me in whatever way comes to mind, and screaming it at the top of his lungs.

The next time we do speak, I don’t think I’ll be able to control myself.

Works of the devil? An argument, yes, but I've prayed FOR TWO YEARS - nothing. Now what?

So, got any advice? I'm willing to take anything at this point. Also, the abuse doesn't actually bother me that much. My dad's had a hard life too, and he is unsaved, so I don't hold him all that accountable. It's the woman and her daughters and him basically pushing me out because of them that really gets to me.

Take a sabbatical from these toxic people and check on how they're doing in a year or so.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In terms of options, you are in a difficult place. There seems to be two issues here: (1) Dealing with the pain you experience, and (2) What actions you can/should take.

Do you go to a church regularly? If they have a female pastor, I would talk to her unless she is counseling-challenged. If they don't, I would talk to whichever pastor is the most oriented toward counseling. Or just hunt down any Christian Pastor-Counselor. Because of all you've been through, a psychologist would be helpful, as well. Some of them have much experience seeing patients dealing with the kind of problems you are.

I would accept your Dad on his terms, which is not the same as supporting his choices. You can decline to spend time with people that trouble you. None of us likes being judged or the attitude of people who are judging us (you judging your Dad, that is), even if they are trying to push something that actually is best. Accept your Dad as he is—as someone that you cannot control. We shouldn't be trying to, and can't control, any adult—ever (sometimes we can't even control ourselves). This may be one reason he is distancing himself from you. It sounds like your power to influence him doesn't exist anymore, anyway, since he has chosen to lie instead of deal with the truth.

If it is any consolation, the reason he is seeing the other woman is for pain relief, whether he knows it or not (i.e., trying to fill the emptiness that comes from being separated from God). Pain can push us to do some pretty awful things (which doesn't make them OK). You are looking for solutions to your pain, too (like most other human beings on earth).

It is a general rule that God is our source of salvation when we are under a legitimate, but abusive, authority. If you are being obedient and aren't doing anything to hinder your prayers (e.g., sinning), then God will improve or fix your situation. God treats us the way we treat others (or better). One of the ten commandments is to Honor your father and mother. If your heart is oriented in that direction, the more of God you will have to help you.

Sometimes it helps to be asking God for something specific. Examine your heart; what do you really want? Why do you want it? If you know why, then what is your motivation for wanting it?

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don’t know what to do. Pray, yes, I know, but sometimes praying for certain people makes you so angry you no longer mean those prayers. Worse: you start to blame God for ordaining prayer in these situations.
When you pray, do you have the comfort and agreement of the Holy Spirit? Because at some point, without that, we might start to wonder if we're praying amiss. At some point in His ministry Jesus condemned some of the cities that had rejected Him. Subsequently He avoided those cities. For instance, when He healed a certain blind man at one point, He first took him out of the city. And on his second missionary trip, in Asia Minor the Holy Spirit wouldn't allow Paul to preach the Gospel - a pretty strange thing to happen when you're on a missionary trip. But He was realigning Paul's itinerary to steer him toward the opening of Europe to the Gospel.

We need to be open in our prayers to what God is actually trying to do. It sounds to me that you're praying out of a sense of obligation, but that that sense is not of the Lord, and amounts to bondage. I would take it to the Lord for confirmation. "You were bought with a price. Do not be slaves to men."

I'm not sure what you're referring to about what God has called you to do, and what facing your parents means with regard to this situation, but maybe this is what you should be praying about.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
God intervened and my mom and I were saved as a package deal;
Sara hello, I am Scott and we each have a unique and personal relationship with God. I hope you have come to salvation from your heart personally because I am very uncomfortable with piggyback salvations.
If you want to talk with me about this, Feel free to message me friend.
Bless you and I am praying for your family issues.

Reactions: Sara Ackerman
Upvote 0

Sara Ackerman

Jul 21, 2018
Vancouver
✟15,691.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I'm new to this, couldn't find the private message button.
Forgive me if I've been unclear. When I say package deal, I mean that we were saved at basically the same time (maybe give a three-day difference in between). I prayed for deliverance from my mother, and the effects were instantaneous. Looking back on the situation the Holy Spirit's basically saying that my salvation would have been very difficult if my mother didn't cease and desist, and that He needed to remove what has proven to be the biggest obstacle in my life.

Thank you for your prayers. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them.

Upvote 0

Sara Ackerman

Jul 21, 2018
Vancouver
✟15,691.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
When you pray, do you have the comfort and agreement of the Holy Spirit? Because at some point, without that, we might start to wonder if we're praying amiss. At some point in His ministry Jesus condemned some of the cities that had rejected Him. Subsequently He avoided those cities. For instance, when He healed a certain blind man at one point, He first took him out of the city. And on his second missionary trip, in Asia Minor the Holy Spirit wouldn't allow Paul to preach the Gospel - a pretty strange thing to happen when you're on a missionary trip. But He was realigning Paul's itinerary to steer him toward the opening of Europe to the Gospel.

We need to be open in our prayers to what God is actually trying to do. It sounds to me that you're praying out of a sense of obligation, but that that sense is not of the Lord, and amounts to bondage. I would take it to the Lord for confirmation. "You were bought with a price. Do not be slaves to men."

I'm not sure what you're referring to about what God has called you to do, and what facing your parents means with regard to this situation, but maybe this is what you should be praying about.

I do, though I've always been a little sketchy with 'comfort and agreement'. Just because I used to manufacture emotions quite a bit, so the 'God putting it on your heart' doesn't really ring with me - I have the 'burning heart' as a physical sensation in Luke 24:32 when I pray, pretty much 90% of the time. I guess that counts?

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting you or the scripture you're quoting, but it appears as though you're saying that God will not allow you to continue to pray for people who He doesn't desire to save, be it an issue of timing or predetermined standing with the Lord. There are scriptures for and against this argument, and I'm not sure really where to go from here. Could you elaborate a bit more?

As for calling, I'm basically just waiting. I'm coming out of a three-year long wilderness and awaiting appointment - literally, because the career I'm called to gives me very little initiative in the beginning. I've prayed about working in the meantime (for a couple months, basically), and the answer seems to be no, despite it putting me in a rather uncomfortable position.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sorry, I'm new to this, couldn't find the private message button.
Forgive me if I've been unclear. When I say package deal, I mean that we were saved at basically the same time (maybe give a three-day difference in between). I prayed for deliverance from my mother, and the effects were instantaneous. Looking back on the situation the Holy Spirit's basically saying that my salvation would have been very difficult if my mother didn't cease and desist, and that He needed to remove what has proven to be the biggest obstacle in my life.

Thank you for your prayers. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them.
I will message you :]

Upvote 0

Sara Ackerman

Jul 21, 2018
Vancouver
✟15,691.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Take a sabbatical from these toxic people and check on how they're doing in a year or so.

Would love to, but a little scared. I'm more of a 'if things get worse, I should be around to see + plan all contingencies' kind of person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sara Ackerman

Jul 21, 2018
Vancouver
✟15,691.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In terms of options, you are in a difficult place. There seems to be two issues here: (1) Dealing with the pain you experience, and (2) What actions you can/should take.

Do you go to a church regularly? If they have a female pastor, I would talk to her unless she is counseling-challenged. If they don't, I would talk to whichever pastor is the most oriented toward counseling. Or just hunt down any Christian Pastor-Counselor. Because of all you've been through, a psychologist would be helpful, as well. Some of them have much experience seeing patients dealing with the kind of problems you are.

I would accept your Dad on his terms, which is not the same as supporting his choices. You can decline to spend time with people that trouble you. None of us likes being judged or the attitude of people who are judging us (you judging your Dad, that is), even if they are trying to push something that actually is best. Accept your Dad as he is—as someone that you cannot control. We shouldn't be trying to, and can't control, any adult—ever (sometimes we can't even control ourselves). This may be one reason he is distancing himself from you. It sounds like your power to influence him doesn't exist anymore, anyway, since he has chosen to lie instead of deal with the truth.

If it is any consolation, the reason he is seeing the other woman is for pain relief, whether he knows it or not (i.e., trying to fill the emptiness that comes from being separated from God). Pain can push us to do some pretty awful things (which doesn't make them OK). You are looking for solutions to your pain, too (like most other human beings on earth).

It is a general rule that God is our source of salvation when we are under a legitimate, but abusive, authority. If you are being obedient and aren't doing anything to hinder your prayers (e.g., sinning), then God will improve or fix your situation. God treats us the way we treat others (or better). One of the ten commandments is to Honor your father and mother. If your heart is oriented in that direction, the more of God you will have to help you.

Sometimes it helps to be asking God for something specific. Examine your heart; what do you really want? Why do you want it? If you know why, then what is your motivation for wanting it?

Ha, I so wish I can control him. Would solve this problem in an instant.

I do have a question. You mentioned that we can decline to spend time with people that trouble us, and my mind agrees 100%. But sometimes people (other Christians specifically) tell us that in order to 'show God's love' and what not, sometimes you need to be all-loving (not all-embracing), and suffer for God's sake by being subject to their abuse, because it's what Jesus did. I can kind of see where they're coming from, but that seems like a, forgive me, phenomenally dumb thing to allow. If you don't react accordingly and tell them their actions are wrong, and show them there are real consequences to such things, won't you either become a doormat or vitiate your own words for lack of demonstration?

But then again, love covers a multitude of sins.

But then again, the way God loves us does include pruning us, in order to render us worthy of love, even worldly love at times. I understand these things aren't mutually exclusive, and that there's no definite algorithm to know what grace to use at what time besides asking the Holy Spirit, but whenever I attempt to remove myself I get a litany of scriptures stuffed in my head, telling me to endure. But surely grace shouldn't allow sin to flourish, especially when it threatens to harden the enduring believer's heart, right?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you choose to suffer because you believe it is God's will, you will be greatly rewarded. Seriously. But what you should do depends on you knowing God's will:

It is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (1 Peter 3:17, 1984 NIV)

So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good. (1 Peter 4:19, 1984 NIV)

The question is then, what is God's will? With your knowledge of Scripture (and a better knowledge of your situation than anyone else), do you know? If not, a pastor can help you know the truths found in Scripture so that you can decide. I wouldn't ask him for his opinion on what he would do, but for the information so you can decide. I recommend a pastor over this online forum because you can go into detail with him, but he still won't have the detail you do. However, do not act just on what the pastor says, unless you have submitted to his authority. Examining God's Word yourself is the long-term solution to making future decisions. In other words look for God's Word in what people say—do what the Bereans did:

Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. (Acts 17:11, 1984 NIV)

If you have the necessary knowledge of Scripture and it still isn't clear, the way you can come to know God's will is by intentionally (and faithfully) drawing closer and closer to him. If nothing is hindering your prayers, you will get an answer if you persist in asking him.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have the 'burning heart' as a physical sensation in Luke 24:32 when I pray, pretty much 90% of the time. I guess that counts?

If it's that kind of holy burning you feel, I would say that Holy Spirit is very much with you. But I recall once I did something that turned out to be out of step with the Lord, and it felt like someone touched the wires from a lamp cord to my heart. It was a burning, but not a good one. It generally takes discernment to determine these things. The matter has to be consistent with the Word, and then we look for the Spirit's guidance.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting you or the scripture you're quoting, but it appears as though you're saying that God will not allow you to continue to pray for people who He doesn't desire to save, be it an issue of timing or predetermined standing with the Lord. There are scriptures for and against this argument, and I'm not sure really where to go from here. Could you elaborate a bit more?

That's not exactly what I'm saying. God wants everyone saved, no exceptions. The question is what our role is in any given case. He might want someone else to be praying it through, for various reasons. We need to stay close to the Lord to know what to pray about and how to pray it. It is possible to pray in our own strength and not listen enough for direction. That's all I'm saying. In time, we usually get brought around. But if this is in your heart, and not merely an externally felt obligation, then definitely pray it through, and let the matter draw you in tight with the Lord as you do so. As you pray it through, your faith should be increasing.

Does that make any sense?

Upvote 0

Sara Ackerman

Jul 21, 2018
Vancouver
✟15,691.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you choose to suffer because you believe it is God's will, you will be greatly rewarded. Seriously. But what you should do depends on you knowing God's will:

It is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. (1 Peter 3:17, 1984 NIV)

So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good. (1 Peter 4:19, 1984 NIV)

The question is then, what is God's will? With your knowledge of Scripture (and a better knowledge of your situation than anyone else), do you know? If not, a pastor can help you know the truths found in Scripture so that you can decide. I wouldn't ask him for his opinion on what he would do, but for the information so you can decide. I recommend a pastor over this online forum because you can go into detail with him, but he still won't have the detail you do. However, do not act just on what the pastor says, unless you have submitted to his authority. Examining God's Word yourself is the long-term solution to making future decisions. In other words look for God's Word in what people say—do what the Bereans did:

Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. (Acts 17:11, 1984 NIV)

If you have the necessary knowledge of Scripture and it still isn't clear, the way you can come to know God's will is by intentionally (and faithfully) drawing closer and closer to him. If nothing is hindering your prayers, you will get an answer if you persist in asking him.

Right. Persistence. The bane of my existence. Ha.

Thanks for the scriptures though. They're more relevant that I'd like to admit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sara Ackerman

Jul 21, 2018
Vancouver
✟15,691.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If it's that kind of holy burning you feel, I would say that Holy Spirit is very much with you. But I recall once I did something that turned out to be out of step with the Lord, and it felt like someone touched the wires from a lamp cord to my heart. It was a burning, but not a good one. It generally takes discernment to determine these things. The matter has to be consistent with the Word, and then we look for the Spirit's guidance.

That's not exactly what I'm saying. God wants everyone saved, no exceptions. The question is what our role is in any given case. He might want someone else to be praying it through, for various reasons. We need to stay close to the Lord to know what to pray about and how to pray it. It is possible to pray in our own strength and not listen enough for direction. That's all I'm saying. In time, we usually get brought around. But if this is in your heart, and not merely an externally felt obligation, then definitely pray it through, and let the matter draw you in tight with the Lord as you do so. As you pray it through, your faith should be increasing.

Does that make any sense?

This makes sense, thank you. I'll do some more self-examination in the meantime.

Upvote 0