Status
Not open for further replies.

Philled-one

Jun 27, 2004
Ontario
✟8,140.00
Faith
Christian
As one who has been totally deaf in one ear all my life I don't understand why so many older people feel that dearfness in any degree is something to be ashamed of. I have never felt shame over being deaf. The reaction that I sometimes get when I tell people that I didn't hear them because they are on my deaf side has always puzzled me. When I was younger people would not accept the fact of my deafness and accused my of not wanting to hear them. Now I find that people will not repeat what was said, tell me that it is none of business or that what they were saying doesn't matter. My question is, is it better to tell someone that I can't hear them, or what?

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Oh, a man! Finally a MAN! :D :D Welcome! :)

When I was 16 back in the Stone Age, I went out with an 18 year old guy who was deaf in his right ear. He didn't tell me before the date. We went to a movie and I sat on the right side of him. I would make a comment about the movie periodically and he wouldn't respond. I thought that was the height of rudeness. Later he told me he was deaf in his right ear. I was relieved. :D But I felt bad for him at the same time. :(

Upvote 0

Tavita

beside quiet waters He restores my soul..
Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
I like your wit miggles! ^_^

Nice to have you drop in, Philled-one!!

I'm a little deaf in the right ear and usually have the tv and music blaring. Would you believe my 21 year old daughter is always telling me to turn the music down?? :p

I don't feel ashamed at all and tell people I can't hear them properly at times. They're usually cool with it.

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Philled-one said:
As one who has been totally deaf in one ear all my life I don't understand why so many older people feel that dearfness in any degree is something to be ashamed of. I have never felt shame over being deaf. The reaction that I sometimes get when I tell people that I didn't hear them because they are on my deaf side has always puzzled me. When I was younger people would not accept the fact of my deafness and accused my of not wanting to hear them. Now I find that people will not repeat what was said, tell me that it is none of business or that what they were saying doesn't matter. My question is, is it better to tell someone that I can't hear them, or what?
Working in a noisy enviornment for most of my working life, (they didn't have health and safety committees when I started) so my hearing has been gradually going down; I have 2 hearing aids, not a great help, they just magnify all the noise and I still have trouble understanding in some noisy places. People understand when they see hearing aids.
Macca. :preach:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.