Goinheix

Dec 23, 2010
Montevideo Uruguay
✟2,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is God. He could have walked, He could have run, He could have flown. He could have conjured a teleport spell right out of D&D for all I know. However, the Bible and the Creed (Tradition) are clear: He didn't Ascend until the 40th day as St. Luke/Acts depicts.

Jesus did experienced kenosis and was God without any divine atribute. Jesus didnt have any sobrenatural power or hability that all men have. Those atrkibutes were restablished after the first ascencion. That make him possible to enter closed room. Before having his divine atributed restored he was not able to do those things.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7566030/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goinheix

Dec 23, 2010
Montevideo Uruguay
✟2,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
After resurrection Jesus first appeared to Mary Magdalene. That was before his first ascencion and his body clould not be touched because was not glorified yet. We dont know for sure what did happens after this first appearance to May. Why or how Jesus walked away from her and she alouded that to happens. The best guess is that Jesus didnt walk away but he went to heaven for a first time.

Then he appeared to two disciples on theyr way to Emaus. Did Jesus walked from the sepuklcre to Emaus? Did he walked back to Jerusalem?

(sorry I have to go)

Luke in his Gospel sugest that the/an ascencion ocurred the day of the resurrection. Same Luke in Acts sugest that the/an ascencion ocurred just before Penthecost. If Luke is not contradicting himself, we have two options. One option is to asume that Jesus did ascend many times, at least two. Other option is to asume that both acounts refer to the same ascencion.

The second option force the Luke ascencion to ocurr not the same day but 40 days jumping into the future. Also forces the details making Jesus to found the Apostles in Jerusalem, take them to Bethany and then to the Mount of the Olives. We have to keep on mind that for the Gospels the "Mount of the Olives" usually (all the times) refer to the side infront of Jerusalem and the Temple; oposite side and far away of bethany.

In my opinion, if there is not iother option...I will support that Jesus did meet the Apostles in Jerusalem, took them to Bethany and finally to the Mount of the Olives. But I think there is not need for that.

The acounts of the resurrection in all the Gospels sugest that Jesus did ascend to heaven more than those two times. If we keep believing that Jesus did ascend a single time, the day before Penthecost, the we enter in serious problems. In other hand I dont see any problem at all in accepting that Jesus did apears multiple times and did ascend each time.

Firts of all: it is not true that ascending to heaven is being entrowned. Many persons in the Bible did ascend to heaven and were not entrowned.

Second: being entrowned dont seems to be an obstacle for Jesus Christ (God) to phisically apears to the disciples.

Third: the number of aparitions and the details of how they ocurred; plus the silence on how Jesus Christ did desapear, is sugesting a ascencion each time.

Forth: it became problematic to explain where did Jesus stayed all those 40 days, hide of the Jew and from the disciples.

Most important: Jesus body could not be touched (it was possible but not alouded) until he went to the Father. His first aparition to Mary ocurred before Jesus went to the Father. The aparition to Thomas ocurred after Jesus went to the Father and yet before the ascencion the day before Penthecost.

Also: from birth to ascencion Jesus did not have any divine supernatural power or hability. The acounts of the aparitions points to a allmighty Christ, not the Jesus of the Gospels.

Now check the aparitipos:
The day of the resurrection: to Mary alone; to the women, to Peter alone, to the disciples on the way to Emaus, to 10 disciples.
Next days: to the 11, to seven, to the fisherman apostles, to 500.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On
dr-seuss-cat-in-hat.jpg

This thread has been cleaned up.
Please address the post and not the poster.
Thanks

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Firts of all: it is not true that ascending to heaven is being entrowned. Many persons in the Bible did ascend to heaven and were not entrowned.
Being taken up to heaven is not in itself about enthronement, but when it's form is a deliberate echo of Daniel 7 then that's exactly what it is.

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Lk.24 I, too had an issue with this concluding: Again, just an opinion, little more than a guess. In Luke's Gospel he offers no date for the ascension. He furnishes only a brief account because he intends to open the Acts with a full account (like the former others presented) of this act and there furnishes the exact date. The Resurrection constitutes the climax throughout apostolic preaching. Luke had Pentecost in mind in Lk.24:49 and so writes a few sentences about the ascension. But both the ascension and Pentecost really belong in Acts, my opinion of course.

Upvote 0
Z

Zeleste

Lk.24 I, too had an issue with this concluding: Again, just an opinion, little more than a guess. In Luke's Gospel he offers no date for the ascension. He furnishes only a brief account because he intends to open the Acts with a full account (like the former others presented) of this act and there furnishes the exact date. The Resurrection constitutes the climax throughout apostolic preaching. Luke had Pentecost in mind in Lk.24:49 and so writes a few sentences about the ascension. But both the ascension and Pentecost really belong in Acts, my opinion of course.

luke describe 2 of the many ascencions of Jesus. one in luke 24, the other in acts 1. obviously Jesus did not ascend only two times but everytime he apeared.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just a note: you are all replying to someone who was, I believe, banned. Save your time and energy.

Note, as I've been notified that there has been confusion with this post, let me clarify: it was directed at no participant who posted in this thread since its "resurrection". In other words, it wasn't directed at any poster past post #44, not including post #44.

My sincerest apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to Acts 1:3 Luke states that Jesus Christ spent forty days on Earth after the Resurrection however, in Luke 24 he leaves us with the impression that He only spent one day on Earth until His ascension. I would be most interested in your response as long as it doesn't involve guessing.

Yes, and then according to His command they waited in Jerusalem until Pentacost...and there is nothing in Luke 24 to suggest this event as having taken place in one day...the chapter lists about three or four appearance scenarios...and He probably ascended and descended regularly during this period, we just do not know...all we do know is that the time when THEY saw Him ascend in the brightness of glory was on the 40th day following the Feast of Firstfruits (being day one when the counting of the omer begins)...this 40th day following firstfruits should be the appropriate date for a feast of the ascension if there is to be one at all and it should be about His ascension (the only one we know happened).

Paul

Upvote 0