Day 20, Proverbs Chapter 20

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Proverbs 20
Everyone read Chapter 20 if it is the 20th day of the month today. Come back and give us your thoughts....Tishri1 :wave:
Proverbs 20New International Version (NIV)

20 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

2 A king’s wrath strikes terror like the roar of a lion;
those who anger him forfeit their lives.

3 It is to one’s honor to avoid strife,
but every fool is quick to quarrel.

4 Sluggards do not plow in season;
so at harvest time they look but find nothing.

5 The purposes of a person’s heart are deep waters,
but one who has insight draws them out.

6 Many claim to have unfailing love,
but a faithful person who can find?

7 The righteous lead blameless lives;
blessed are their children after them.

8 When a king sits on his throne to judge,
he winnows out all evil with his eyes.

9 Who can say, “I have kept my heart pure;
I am clean and without sin”?

10 Differing weights and differing measures—
the Lord detests them both.

11 Even small children are known by their actions,
so is their conduct really pure and upright?

12 Ears that hear and eyes that see—
the Lord has made them both.

13 Do not love sleep or you will grow poor;
stay awake and you will have food to spare.

14 “It’s no good, it’s no good!” says the buyer—
then goes off and boasts about the purchase.

15 Gold there is, and rubies in abundance,
but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel.

16 Take the garment of one who puts up security for a stranger;
hold it in pledge if it is done for an outsider.

17 Food gained by fraud tastes sweet,
but one ends up with a mouth full of gravel.

18 Plans are established by seeking advice;
so if you wage war, obtain guidance.

19 A gossip betrays a confidence;
so avoid anyone who talks too much.

20 If someone curses their father or mother,
their lamp will be snuffed out in pitch darkness.

21 An inheritance claimed too soon
will not be blessed at the end.

22 Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!”
Wait for the Lord, and he will avenge you.

23 The Lord detests differing weights,
and dishonest scales do not please him.

24 A person’s steps are directed by the Lord.
How then can anyone understand their own way?

25 It is a trap to dedicate something rashly
and only later to consider one’s vows.

26 A wise king winnows out the wicked;
he drives the threshing wheel over them.

27 The human spirit is[a] the lamp of the Lord
that sheds light on one’s inmost being.

28 Love and faithfulness keep a king safe;
through love his throne is made secure.

29 The glory of young men is their strength,
gray hair the splendor of the old.

30 Blows and wounds scrub away evil,
and beatings purge the inmost being.

Footnotes:
  1. Proverbs 20:27 Or A person’s words are
New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brinny

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

This I have seen. This I have been victimized by. This I have been counseled against being with people who drink, and think that I will not be hurt, because I am doing nothing. They are.

3 It is to one’s honor to avoid strife,
but every fool is quick to quarrel.

It is on this, that Proverbs warns against.

So does Matthew 7:15-16.

Women of God do not quarrel and insult,
Men of God are not verbally abrasive,

Yes women of God are known as grapes to God,
Men of God are known as figs to God,

Grape vines cannot hurt you, when you pick them,
Fig branches cannot hurt you, when you pick them.

5 The purposes of a person’s heart are deep waters,
but one who has insight draws them out.

God has insight, I say. God draws them out. However, it is to anyone that is a grape, or a fig, that might also draw others out.

7 The righteous lead blameless lives;
blessed are their children after them.

It seems we have a new definition of righteous that only God knows of, I say. It is righteous in your heart. Yes, this I have seen. Their children are blessed, and the blessing is in living with God, after this earth, no matter how hard they try to avoid it.
The blessing seems to be for the mother, maybe the Father too. I have seen this, but in the Catholic way. I imagine, the parallel is in the Christian Protestant way. It is this. If you do as I say, your children too, will be with you, after you leave this earth.
My oldest brother is a sociopath, probably. He drinks. And he lies about his AA affiliation. He lies about it in all ways. He does drugs. He is verbally abusive. He hates his mother, at least verbally.
My next youngest brother, is similar. Only with him it is stealing and lieing. He was a professional shop lifter in Chicago, by his own words. He has injured me. He has injured my younger brother. He abused his own mother financially.
A promise to Catholics for a daily rosary is this. Our families will be taken care of. Since that was started one day, by one of my family members, the oldest one received a personal one on one visit from Jesus. He still denies it, but it changed him greatly, and instantly. Later, he was given a miraculous healing. He still denies Jesus.
He may deny Jesus, but I saw. I heard. This is what Jesus said to him. "You are mine."
With the other brother, it was a vision that scared a family member. He was not going to be in the kingdom of God. He was on the other side of the chasm. That family member saw that. She never said anything.
One day things like are said in Proverbs 20:30 were done to him. It was God who did that. Now, he will be going to heaven. She the one who watched, knows this. She told him one day, but she did not say, she hopes, what she knows to this brother as to why. His beatings. His prison, but a Godly one, for the police have not imprisoned him.
She said, you were going to hell. He denied it. He after all is still a liar. He has not changed that much, yet she knows of his prison, and she knows that somehow, that makes him okay enough with God, to eventually get to heaven.
She, knows of the person, who prays. She knows what her prayers are. She just did not know, that was the result. I will tell you this, of that person's prayer life. She just did, even Catholic wise, the simple things, the things she actually understood not being schooled in the faith as she is too afraid of any errors in their schooling to memmorize all of it. So, she just does what is simple to understand.
One day, Mary said she wanted a rosary said a day. That woman did that. From that, her two brothers will gain heaven some day.

9 Who can say, “I have kept my heart pure;
I am clean and without sin”?

10 Differing weights and differing measures—
the Lord detests them both.

11 Even small children are known by their actions,
so is their conduct really pure and upright?

Yes, I am not pure. Yes I am not clean. Yes, I am with sin.

On cheating others of what they buy or sell, I hear the Lord on this. He hates that.

Yes, all of us who have children, know they need to be curtailed, to be made pure. It is a parents job. They are not really born pure, if you look at their actions. So, why do so many people perpetuate this idea, that children are born pure of heart, and mind? I hear it so often, that I do not know.

14 “It’s no good, it’s no good!” says the buyer—
then goes off and boasts about the purchase.

This one I did not know.

15 Gold there is, and rubies in abundance,
but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel.

16 Take the garment of one who puts up security for a stranger;
hold it in pledge if it is done for an outsider.

I do not understand.

18 Plans are established by seeking advice;
so if you wage war, obtain guidance.

I will take note of this, God.

19 A gossip betrays a confidence;
so avoid anyone who talks too much.

20 If someone curses their father or mother,
their lamp will be snuffed out in pitch darkness.

21 An inheritance claimed too soon
will not be blessed at the end.

This I did not know, before today, God.

22 Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!”
Wait for the Lord, and he will avenge you.

And this is how I am to answer my enemies. Thank-you God.

27 The human spirit is[a] the lamp of the Lord
that sheds light on one’s inmost being.

28 Love and faithfulness keep a king safe;
through love his throne is made secure.

29 The glory of young men is their strength,
gray hair the splendor of the old.

Much here, is there.
I do not know what the human spirit is.
I am impressed by love, keeping a king safe. Is this what God is doing, even though safety cannot be His problem, I say. Is He checking for love? In us, is He checking for love of Him?
If so, then God defines love as doing the will of. Jesus did the will of His Father. That is His definition of love. Mine is no different, since learning this.
With God, perfect love is not required of us it seems. What is required is constant love, it seems. Judging by myself, it is to try and try and try again, but always to know of failure, and, to always determine to try and try again, but, continuously until sucessful.
I for me think that is it. It is to attempt the impossible, as though it were possible. It is in human terms to Don Quixote it. In God's terms, it seem to be, Do The Will of My Father in Heaven.
The glory, meaning giving credit where credit is due, of young men is in their strength.

30 Blows and wounds scrub away evil,
and beatings purge the inmost being.

On Proverbs 20:30, much can be said.
Unjust slavery, to a person of God, has produced many a saint. I am sure he/she is beat, and yes they seem to be better for it. Yes, verbal beatings or physical ones, do seem to make the interior person better.
Is not poverty slavery? Are not the poor told they are given every good thing? Are not the poor thought of higly by God? But, are all the poor treated this way? Yes, maybe they are. In James this is talked about. It is talked about in other places.
So, adversity can be a curse, but also a blessing. To those of God, it is hard, sometimes it seems impossible, and other times they think they might loose their minds. Only later, for those we have access to, can you ask.
The few, I know, love God a lot. I am trying not to say something. I think I can escape saying it. They seem to love God more, who are going through human adversity, than most of those who do not go through human adversity. It is my observation, so far.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Footnotes:
  1. Proverbs 20:27 Or A person’s words are
New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
This chapter had so much relating to myself right now!!! For example in verse 9 it talks about a pure heart and being free of sin. I do sin and I feel ashamed because God gave me so much especially His Son who died for us.

how often do we accept something and not know that it was given by dishonest means? Its happened to all of us and as children of the Lord we learn to be careful when accepting things like this.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 20, verse 20 stood out for me"

"Whoso curseth his father or his mother, his lamp shall be put out in obscure darkness."

This is repeated throughout the Bible. God emphasizes honoring one's father and mother, and it's as if in not respecting and honoring them properly, one puts a curse on oneself, and their "light" is extinguished, leaving them in not just "darkness", but "obsure" darkness...and that seems to be akin to almost never having existed. No one even "remembers" you.

Reminds me of this:

Scrooge-Grave.jpg

Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amen, brinny! I just love my mom and dad :•)

Pro 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife. 6 Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find? 11 Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right. 22 Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
7 It is a wonderful heritage to have an honest father. I really appreciate all my dad was, and he became a Christian in his sixties...wow...

9 Who can ever say, “I have cleansed my heart; I am sinless”? I rely on him moment by moment, thank God that confession and repentance are regular parts of our talks with him.

15 Good sense is far more valuable than gold or precious jewels. So true...

18 Don’t go ahead with your plans without the advice of others; don’t go to war until they agree.

27 A man’s conscience is the Lord’s searchlight exposing his hidden motives. I find, the best way to stay on God's pathway is to read the Word of God to sharpen our consciences.

Upvote 0

lighthouse4031

Jan 17, 2016
USA
✟15,438.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This chapter had so much relating to myself right now!!! For example in verse 9 it talks about a pure heart and being free of sin. I do sin and I feel ashamed because God gave me so much especially His Son who died for us.

Welcome to the club my friend (Romans 3:23) :) I noticed that the importance of fair measures was echoed from verse 10 in verse 23. Looks like a warning about Inequality to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 20, verse 1 stood out for me:

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

It reminds me of my father, who was a rip-roaring, raging alcoholic.

Verse 3 stood out for me as well, for the same reason:

"It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling."

In it all, God's grace is sufficient, for He really DOES work out ALL things for the good of His own, even if the circumstances are excruciatingly tragic and beyond pain. Therefore we wait on HIM to make all things right.

And He does.

In His own, perfect timing.

proverbs20_22.jpg

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 20, verse 20 stood out for me:

"Whoso curseth his father or his mother, his lamp shall be put out in obscure darkness."

The word "obscure" stands out here:

obscure = Unknown and unfamiliar; indistinct to the sight or any other sense; not readily seen, heard, etc.;

What it reminds me of is fading into darkness and remembered no more.

It means that if one curses one's mother and/or father, they bring a curse onto themselves, and fade into darkness, becoming obscure, and remembered no more.

Tragic.

Reminds me of this verse:

8fe1374e0d9ae3a156370db299f519cb.jpg

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

obscure = Unknown and unfamiliar; indistinct to the sight or any other sense; not readily seen, heard, etc.;

It means that if one curses one's mother and/or father, they bring a curse onto themselves, and fade into darkness, becoming obscure, and remembered no more.

Tragic.

Hi,

'lamp' above to me, means what that person says is true.

'darkness' above to me,means separation from those that would normally hear him.

'obscure' to me is the depth of that separation.

He shall not be listened to by anyone, such that he/she is almost not heard at all, anymore.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

lighthouse4031

Jan 17, 2016
USA
✟15,438.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Tragic.

Mm hmm. I also think lamp in the Old Testament, as far as I've read, often refers to one's sense of direction (e.g. Psalm 119.) This especially makes sense when one considers the repercussions of disowning their parents and those parent's wisdom. With no sense of direction established, I imagine it would be easy to fall into obscurity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 20:

This verse stood out for me. What this reminds me of is the verse about being vigilant and sober because the enemy (Satan) goes about as a roaring lion......and how can one be alert, vigilant, and sober if one's senses are compromised and/or dulled?

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" ~1 Peter5:8

d722c30a9935547e303e514cb3ccca3b.jpg

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 20, this verse stood out for me.

We see here an admonition to remember that our flesh still wars against us (our spirit). In thought, word, or deed, we slip, and think or say and/or do something that is dishonoring to God, and displeases Him, and where we grieve the Holy Spirit. It reminds me of why we are admonished to do this:

"Pray without ceasing." ~I Thessalonians 5:17

4208625722_4ab9214b4d.jpg

Upvote 0