Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother" (Pro 18:24 KJV).

What a Friend we have in Jesus, All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry Ev'rything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry Ev'rything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged-Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness-Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge-Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer;
In His arms He'll take and shield thee-Thou wilt find a solace there.​

-Joseph Scriven, written 1855

Joseph Scriven knew heartache and devastation first hand. As a young man his hopes and dreams vanished on the day before his wedding when he watched in horror as the lifeless body of his beloved was pulled from the water where she had drowned. Sorrow overwhelmed him, yet in the months and years that followed, Scriven turned repeatedly to the only Friend who would never leave him. Although he battled loneliness and depression for the rest of his life, he never let go of the hand of his Savior. Scriven knew that Jesus cared and that He was acquainted with loneliness and sorrow. This man knew that he could take his grief to Jesus and find strength and peace that no one else could give. Years later Scriven took what he had learned through his pain and put it into the words of a poem that we now sing as "What A Friend We Have In Jesus."

Lord, I have had friends in the past that have led me far from Your purpose and will for my life, but I thank You that You have become my personal friend and have led me into all riches and honour and grace through You. You gave all You had in order to give me all that I have, and I thank You. Amen.

Thank you for sharing this precious account.

Agreeing in prayer, amen.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

This verse stood out for me:

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

Our Strong Tower.

We have a safe refuge in God. He IS our Strong Tower. he will ALWAYS be our Refuge, as long as we live. It is HE Who will stand before us, defending us and protecting us from all foes, danger, and harm. It is HE Who is our SHIELD. No arrows from the enemy can reach us.

This comes to mind:

"Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked. Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will bewith him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation." ~Ps 91:3-16

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

Spouting off.

OK, it must be in the water, so to speak, cuz am I familiar with this, or WHAT??!! BIG TIME, I'd win a contest for it to the nth degree. At least it's my tendency, to just run my mouth, and like the Energizer Bunny....it just keeps going...and going....and going.....

AND without "thinking" beforehand, or HEARING all the facts before "spouting off" at the mouth.

God help me to stop dead in my tracks before i run off at the mouth. Still me and quiet me and put to rest all that interferes with a mouth that speaks as YOu would have me speak, and inundate my heart, mind, soul, thoughts, words, and actions, with YOur inexplicable grace, and thank You for not giving up on me, in Jesus' name, amen.

iu

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

A Bubbling Brook.

"The words of a man's mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook." ~Pr 18:4

Words of the wise flow rather merrily and generate from a wellspring of a treasure of wisdom that God has Himself, put there, like "deep waters", that come flowing out, almost like dancing, as waters in a brook.

How delightful is our God to fill us to overflowing with His wisdom, that He enables to pour forth from us. Words that are also full of His joy and thus, His healing.

May our words pour forth as a bubbling and delightful brook, bringing blessings and healing to all within the sound of them.

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

Wise Words.

We can speak words of wisdom and grace as God pours His very Words into us, by His Holy Spirit imparting them to us. We can be vessels of His grace, mercy, encouragement, and refreshment for weary hearts, minds, souls, and spirits.

Amen?

iu

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

Our Strong Tower.

We have a "Strong Tower" to run to for protection. And our "Strong Tower" is God Himself. He is our Protector" and "Defender" and a very PRESENT HELP in our times of trouble or danger.

He is our "Hiding Place" from the storms that may rage against us.

Praise God that He is, amen?

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

Gossip.
AKA: Lying and Stirring Up Contention.
AKA: Seven Things God Hates.

"These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren." ~Pr 6:16-19

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

Gossip/Mockers.

AKA: Lying and Stirring Up Contention.
AKA: Seven Things God Hates.

"A fool's mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul. The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly." ~Pr 18:7-8

"These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren." ~Pr 6:16-19

hieronymus_bosch_4_1024_721_80.jpeg

Upvote 0

sweetycakes1

Loving the Lord
Supporter
Dec 20, 2019
North Carolina
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Verse 10 stood out for me....reminded me of other, similar verses throughout the Bible about God being a very present help in our times of trouble...

10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.
Verse 10 stood out for me too!

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 18:

Words of Life.

:heart: Choose to speak words of life, bringing refreshment and renewal and encouragement instead of speaking words that deaden and bludgeon the spirit.

"The words of a man's mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook." ~Proverbs 18:4

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." ~Proverbs 18:21

79940954-iob8yfbo-img_5602anif2.gif

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟178,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue; those who love it will eat its fruit.

So true! And it reminds me of what James says:
If anyone doesn't stumble in what they say, they're perfect. They are able to bridle the whole body also.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions" Prov 18:2 NIV

I have to fight this one. Who doesn't love their own opinion?

Yep. :D I have to watch my tongue.

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0