David and Bathsheba?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did God tempt David with Bathsheba to see if David would make the right decision
No - James tells us that God does not tempt us with evil.
Was David and Bathsheba destined to be one or was it only the desire of David but God made something good out of it?
"Destiny" is such a western concept that it is irrelevant to scripture.

It is an example of how, even when we screw things up really bad, God can still turn it around and use it for His Good.

Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was David and Bathsheba destined to be one or was it only the desire of David but God made something good out of it?

Did God intend for David and Bathsheba to become one from the beginning?

It was a sin for David to covet, commit adultery, and murder in order to steal Bathsheba from her husband. But God in his sovereign mercy worked through David's sin to bring about salvation for all people.

Did God tempt David with Bathsheba to see if David would make the right decision and turn away and leave her alone but David failed?

God never tempts anyone to sin.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I take this woman to be my own will I be cursed?
Is she still married? If so - then yes.

If she is divorced, make sure the divorce was for biblical reasons. (you should get congregational leadership to agree that it was biblical) Otherwise - yes.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I know a woman and I like her but she has been married but is separated for 10 years now. Her husband has been in prison many times and he beats her and the kids.

Would God put her in my path to see if I make the decision to pass her by because she is already married or is she in my path for me to take care of and make happy?
If someone is actually looking for marital advice in an internet forum, the answers would be a resounding YES and then probably no to both.

The situation described has so many negative dynamics stacked against a positive outcome that it would be ill advised without serious Pastoral, individual and also family counseling before even deciding to date/insert ourselves into such a broken family unit.

In my own experience (twice), dating and then marrying someone in part to rescue appeals to our drive to fix things for those we are attracted to or love. But allowing that desire blind us to the harsh reality of such situations in making such an important decision is foolhardy at best. There are a lot of psychological issues that need to be addressed with that woman and her children - those do not go away simply by rescuing them. Perhaps some personal issues too that need exploring if there is a blinding desire to step up and insert oneself into such a family.

If a person is already dating and especially if sexually active - then it would seem their mind has been made up already. If so, then seeking any advice is most likely just hoping to get endorsement of that decision. From my own experience such unions will almost certainly not end well. Being in love is great, but facing reality can be hard when our emotions and desires run high. Marrying without facing all the realities of such a situation is a recipe for disaster/setting oneself up to fail.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So I know a woman and I like her but she has been married but is separated for 10 years now. Her husband has been in prison many times and he beats her and the kids.

What does separated mean? Is she divorced? If not, are there grounds for divorce?

Would God put her in my path to see if I make the decision to pass her by because she is already married or is she in my path for me to take care of and make happy?

No I wouldn't interpret events this way. Who knows why God put her in your path? You don't need to know that. All you need to know is God's clear will as it is revealed in Scripture. You can't romantically pursue this woman in any way if she is married. Now if she were divorced that would be a different situation...

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No God didn't put Bathsheba in David's path he should have been fighting the enemies of the Israelites not lounging round at home with nothing much to do.

Then Bathsheba could have her bath in peace without some nosy guy staring at her over the wall.

Upvote 0