Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean by "a problem with it"? Philosophically or ethically, or some other way?

I don't date anymore, but I used to, and it got me nothing but trouble. The Church is correct in its approach (Copts do not do western dating, usually not even in the west; many marriages are arranged via family, though that is more of a cultural thing than a Church position). I only wish I had had my eyes opened sooner.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean by "a problem with it"? Philosophically or ethically, or some other way?

I don't date anymore, but I used to, and it got me nothing but trouble. The Church is correct in its approach (Copts do not do western dating, usually not even in the west; many marriages are arranged via family, though that is more of a cultural thing than a Church position). I only wish I had had my eyes opened sooner.
Is it only the Copts? Do Armenians date?

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Formal dating is alright, but it can be a little awkward and doesn't do much to serve its purpose. The best way is to simply learn to be friends, and do the things that friends do. If you can't do that, then this is not the person for you.

Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Formal dating is alright, but it can be a little awkward and doesn't do much to serve its purpose. The best way is to simply learn to be friends, and do the things that friends do. If you can't do that, then this is not the person for you.
This is the only answer to that question.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve never dated a believer. I feel repressed. I have no interest in friends first or things along those lines. And I don’t understand the tiptoeing and fear. I’m too old to behave that way. The Lord is nudging me but I have no interest.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Is it only the Copts? Do Armenians date?

I don't know. The only Armenians I've ever known were dating, but I think the Armenians are generally more liberal/open about things. They've been in the west a lot longer than the Copts have, and as I understand it they are allowed to marry any mainstream Trinitarians (whereas Copts are not allowed to marry outside of the communion, except in special circumstances agreed to by both sides, like between Copts and Greeks within the patriarchal territory of Alexandria itself, where there are lots of 'mixed' Greek-Coptic couples). I know that Armenians and Greeks tend to like each other a lot. :)

Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I’ve never dated a believer. I feel repressed. I have no interest in friends first or things along those lines. And I don’t understand the tiptoeing and fear. I’m too old to behave that way. The Lord is nudging me but I have no interest.
So you're willingly going to disobey scripture?

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

I'd like to know your explanation for that.

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some girls have told me it is dishonest to become friends in order to reach them.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean by "tiptoeing and fear".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some girls have told me it is dishonest to become friends in order to reach them.
I could see that. But I also thinks that's kind of silly of them... I mean, if you're going to be married some day, you'd better be friends, too.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I could see that. But I also thinks that's kind of silly of them... I mean, if you're going to be married some day, you'd better be friends, too.
Well, if you are going to date and it doesn't work, it might be awkward as friendship.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
What do you mean by "tiptoeing and fear".

Some people are afraid of rejection and others have little to no experience with the opposite sex and they are afraid to be forward. I want him to feel comfortable expressing interest. I will NOT lead. I move according to his cadence. :)

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, if you are going to date and it doesn't work, it might be awkward as friendship.

It could be, but you could also find that you're better friends than you ever were anything else (though that is admittedly more rare). Some people just don't work as a couple.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

It takes years to really know someone. I had secular men try that route. I turned them down. I don’t date my friends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some people are afraid of rejection and others have little to no experience with the opposite sex and they are afraid to be forward. I want him to feel comfortable expressing interest. I will NOT lead. I move according to his cadence. :)
I think that is a problem with a lot of men. They are bad to lead.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It could be, but you could also find that you're better friends than you ever were anything else (though that is admittedly more rare). Some people just don't work as a couple.
The problem is that men might think that becoming best friends will lead them to become a couple.

Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You don't become friends in order to reach them.
You reach them as a result of becoming friends.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem is that men might think that becoming best friends will lead them to become a couple.

I don’t blame them. I grew up in a patriarchal home and need leadership and passion. They are expecting something else.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0