Darwinian Sects, Lies and Evolutionists

Have any of you been to the TheologyOnline forums? There's an Evolution Board over there as well, and a moderator who goes by the name of Bob B. He's like a mirror image of Nick here. He posts stuff he finds at creationist web sites, argues his case a bit, but rarely does he seriously address any rebuttals to his claims. And he also seems like he doesn't have a clue as to the real science behind what he's refuting. He could be the same guy, but then lots of these creationists seem the same after a time.

- Joe

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for that info Nick, I will now change my life accordingly.

I will first convert to Catholosism since the vast majority of Christians are Catholic and the rest must just be hoodwinked.

Next I will convert to Buddism since the vast masjority of the world is Buddist.

But I still get to believe in evolution since the vast majority of the worlds population believes in it.

Thank you. You made everything so clear in my life.

Upvote 0

Raging Atheist

god told me he doesnt exist
Jul 4, 2002
Montana
Visit site
✟562.00
Originally posted by LewisWildermuth
Thanks for that info Nick, I will now change my life accordingly.

I will first convert to Catholosism since the vast majority of Christians are Catholic and the rest must just be hoodwinked.

Next I will convert to Buddism since the vast masjority of the world is Buddist.

But I still get to believe in evolution since the vast majority of the worlds population believes in it.

Thank you. You made everything so clear in my life.

Buddhism is the religion I detest the least... very non-confrontational and simple... I would have to go into that if I ever found my spiritual side... *continues rummaging in closet for spiritual side*

Upvote 0

Cantuar

Forever England
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Agnostic
Originally posted by Jerry Smith
You are teaching parents lies that they will repeat to their children in good faith. Some of those children will be disenchanted with science because they believe those lies in good faith, and the next Darwin or Einstein may instead decide to go to work as a janitor.

Innate curiosity will continue to be subordinated to doctrine.

And the parents will probably consider that a good thing. I've been told a few times now that atheists tend to have advanced education, so advanced education is a bad thing, that pursuit of knowledge and intellectual curiosity are bad because they distract people from God, and that scientists are atheists and are not to be trusted. Those people would most probably prefer their children to grow up to be janitors than scientists.

Upvote 0

Ben Reid

May 31, 2002
Sydney
Visit site
✟8,347.00
Originally posted by Raging Atheist

Buddhism is the religion I detest the least... very non-confrontational and simple... I would have to go into that if I ever found my spiritual side... *continues rummaging in closet for spiritual side*

Do you really believe Buddhism is simple?? Could you give me a quick run down of it.

My Dad is a Buddhist of around 30 years, and he hasn't even got close to explaining it properly to me. Reading about it hasn't helped much either.

Guide me teacher, to the The Noble Eight-Fold Path :)

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Lanakila
Randman only jumped in to attaboy Nick. Do you realize how many of you guys there are on this particular forum? It can be a little daunting, to be mistaken about something because of not knowing the updated information, and be accused of out and out lying. We all make mistakes especially when repeating information we heard somewhere, but lying is another thing entirely. I am not going to make excuses for those who need to update their websites, but like I have said before, lots of people have a life besides sitting on the computer all day long, and are involved in living that life.

Nick starts a thread in which he calls evolutionists liars and sectarians and his opening post is aggressive and challenging. Every subsequent post he writes is more so, so that he attracts every evolutionist here. He doesn't seem daunted to me and it seems to me that he invited this debate and was name-calling in the very title of the thread. This invites name-calling, although I'm not saying anyone is right to stoop to it. 

I think it's wonderful when any member comes to the aid of another who is outnumbered, but this is surely happening somewhere in these forums to someone who wasn't expecting it and isn't enjoying it?

Nick, on the other hand, is having a great time and is getting exactly what he wants.

Wowser! I don't know about the rest of you, but I was completely won over by the Tooth Fairy pic. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Raging Atheist

Jul 4, 2002
Montana
Visit site
✟562.00
Originally posted by Ben Reid

Do you really believe Buddhism is simple?? Could you give me a quick run down of it.

My Dad is a Buddhist of around 30 years, and he hasn't even got close to explaining it properly to me. Reading about it hasn't helped much either.

Guide me teacher, to the The Noble Eight-Fold Path :)

Have you ever heard of a Buddhist inspired war?  A terrorist attack in the name of Buddhism?  A beating associated with a Buddhist organization?  Perhaps simple was the wrong world... least misleading sound better to you?  Least harmful?  Take your pick...

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
  You should ask yourself something: Have you never heard of these because they have never happened, or because Buddhism isn't a big part of the culture and history you learned?

Beats me if any of those things have ever happened. But without real study, serious study, I couldn't say yes or no. Even though I've never heard of them either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben Reid

May 31, 2002
Sydney
Visit site
✟8,347.00
Originally posted by Raging Atheist

Have you ever heard of a Buddhist inspired war?  A terrorist attack in the name of Buddhism?  A beating associated with a Buddhist organization?  Perhaps simple was the wrong world... least misleading sound better to you?  Least harmful?  Take your pick...

Buddha was a pacifist in every sense of the word, there's no doubt about that. Non-violence permeates his teachings.

And the precept not to kill is a foundational "belief" of Buddhism (most Buddhists will object to to referring to Buddhism as a belief, for them it is "a way of life".)

Any violence done in the name of Buddhism (e.g. Sri Lanka) would be done in-spite of the teachings of Buddha. However, the same could be said of Christianity. The violence done in the name of Christianity was done in-spite of the teachings of Christ.

Does this mean there has not been perpetrators of violence who claim to be Buddhists (or Christians)? No. People futhering their own political or social agenda will latch onto anything which will aid their purpose.

So, in principle, I agree with the statement that Buddhism is not a violent religion. What I was curious about was your understanding of what Buddhism is. I assume that you habr looked into Buddhism before coming to your conclusions.

What is your quick run down of Buddhism, explained in simple and laymans terms?

Upvote 0

Ben Reid

May 31, 2002
Sydney
Visit site
✟8,347.00
Originally posted by chickenman
... because its a religion that actually sticks to religion, unlike many other religions, which stray into politics and (god forbid) science

And you are basing this on ....??

Just like RA, I struggle to believe you have looked at Buddhism seriously.

What is your evidence that Buddhism does not involve science?

Upvote 0

Raging Atheist

Jul 4, 2002
Montana
Visit site
✟562.00
Originally posted by Ben Reid

What is your quick run down of Buddhism, explained in simple and laymans terms?

Quick rundown?  There is no absolute authority in Buddhism, only Buddha who was wise enough to reach enlightenment.  Buddhists attempt to follow in his footsteps to attain enlightenment.  Enlightenment consists of transcending the physical world.

You're right, Im no scholar on it, just have a few friends to explain things to me and Siddhartha to give me an idea of what "Om" is supposed to mean.  The key to my interest in it, as I said earlier, is the complete lack of violence associated with it and the lack of an absolute authority.  There is no god.  And there is no "god's word" to misinterpret.

People futhering their own political or social agenda will latch onto anything which will aid their purpose.

I agree completely.  But, for some reason, I have yet to hear of a Buddhist doing this, despite their enormous world popularity.  Go figure.  And the key is not that they claim to simply be Buddhists or Christians, its that they claim to crimes in the NAME of Buddha or god...

Upvote 0
This argument about Christians and buddhists seems really silly to me.

We live sedentary lifestyles, get fat, eat chemical toxins, stare at a bright glowing thing that bathes us in harmful radiation, breath the same air that's been in the building for two years, drink water polluted with everything from radiation to insecticides, get sick from diseases that for all we know may be offshoots of genetically engineered bugs, may be wiped out in our lifetime by nuclear warfare, doomsday diseases, chemical weapons, and so on....

And who do we have to thank for all of this? Scientists.

Does that mean science is bad? No. Does that mean all scientists are bad? No. Does that mean science hasn't also contributed good things and improved our lives? No.

So what's the point of making this connection with Christians or any other religion? Do not Christians do good thing? Yes. Do they help the needy, feed the poor, heal the sick, CONTRIBUTE TO SCIENCE, etc? Of course they do. So what's your point?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by seebs
Speaking of AiG, I sent them a pointer to a detailed rebuttal of the "Chinese Characters" claim, and it's still there.
A laughable rebuttal of something that is irrefutable! Like denying that the English word "bird" contains the letters b, i, r and d.

No use denying the irrefutable, when it's easy to verify the meaning of symbols used in an everyday language read by billions of people.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/388.asp

And there's more. That's just a sample.

Whoever invented the written characters of the Chinese language some 4,000 years ago definitely knew the accounts in Genesis. Makes sense, since the first Chinese would have known Noah prior to migrating to the Far East where they formed their own unique civilization.

Upvote 0