Darwinian Sects, Lies and Evolutionists

So creationism is a problem, now?

Yes Nick, it is. No, not the belief in a creator. That isn't a problem. Not even the personal denial of science because of religious beliefs. That's not a problem for anyone but the single person afflicted with it.

It is the organized grass roots attack on science, the war waged in the court of public opinion, in the courts of law, at the local PTA and local school board level. The effort to derail science and science education, without regard for truth, using any means, and any tactics necessary to discredit science, push biology back to the 19th century (and keep it there) and to do the same for science education. It is a problem.

Yes, your war will fail. Scientists aren't easily hoodwinked the way the public can be. Courts of law will most likely continue to see the attack for what it is, no matter how glib the language that it is couched in. But you are still doing damage.

You are a force moving our culture towards an anti-science and anti-intellectual new dark age.

You are teaching parents lies that they will repeat to their children in good faith. Some of those children will be disenchanted with science because they believe those lies in good faith, and the next Darwin or Einstein may instead decide to go to work as a janitor.

Innate curiosity will continue to be subordinated to doctrine.

But I, and others, are here to at least see that your arrogant slander of science and scientists does not go unanswered.

Upvote 0

Raging Atheist

god told me he doesnt exist
Jul 4, 2002
Montana
Visit site
✟562.00
as always, well done scientists...

I was wondering, does anyone know anything about Nick personally?  Does he live alone?  Grow up in the city?  Hobbies?  Job?  Im just curious what he is like in real life... I have yet to meet anyone like him in real life...

I would ask him directly, but, I'm not sure I would believe anything he said...

Upvote 0
If it wasn't for the grass roots efforts by some Christians that Jerry describes, I would consider someone like Nick harmless. I've never personally met anyone like him either, but I did have this one roommate in college who makes Nick look simple by comparison.

He believes one day that he'll be able to create a ball of dust, using his telekinetic powers (which he admitted he hadn't fully developed yet), and give this ball of dust its own consciousness. Then he was going to send this ball of dust out into the universe to collect as much nearby raw materials as possible, and it would "grow" into a Dyson-Sphere. Then he would have this Dyson-Sphere return to our solar system and envelope the sun so that everyone on Earth could live in it - under his rules. I swear, he was dead serious about this.

The next semester I got my own private room in another dorm.

- Joe

Upvote 0
Ha Ha! reminds me somewhat of a room mate I once had - he was an astrology/new age nut, and proof of his Universal Mind came in the form of a teleological misapprehension of evolution (i.e. we are evolving toward Higher Consciousness)... Any effort to point out that biological evolution was contingent and did not add support to teleolgical claims was met with "you are a robot who has been programmed with left brained linear thinking. You will wake up to reality one day," and other such nonsense.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... speaking of drugs, what do you suppose the chances are that Nick was merely a little drunk last night and got carried away with his nonsensical rants against evolution? I'd like to give the man the benefit of a doubt, so I can't think of any other reason why he'd want to hurt his (and creationists') position like he did here, or does he normally get this reckless every once and a while?

- Joe

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Jerry Smith

It is the organized grass roots attack on science, the war waged in the court of public opinion

This from a peron who (obviously, because he certainly doesn't object to the practice) approves of the practice of lying about what creationists say and publish in order to discredit any valid points they make.

Jerry, your credibility is in the precambrian, so anything you have to say about what creationists do in the court of public opinion is about as meaningful as evolution itself. Zero.

Originally posted by Jerry Smith

Scientists aren't easily hoodwinked the way the public can be.

Many scientists believe in evolution.

The majority of the American public does not.

Sounds to me like it's the scientists who are hoodwinked.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys for thinking Nick is on drugs to being drunk, you appear to love to talk to him. 7 Pages of 10 evolutionist against Nick. Randman only jumped in to attaboy Nick. Do you realize how many of you guys there are on this particular forum? It can be a little daunting, to be mistaken about something because of not knowing the updated information, and be accused of out and out lying. We all make mistakes especially when repeating information we heard somewhere, but lying is another thing entirely. I am not going to make excuses for those who need to update their websites, but like I have said before, lots of people have a life besides sitting on the computer all day long, and are involved in living that life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
  Lankila: There are two points here. (1) AiG continued to use outdated and incorrect information, as well as make deliberatly misleading statements regarding the geochronology of the find. (This was never a case of "error", but of deception as AiG choose to use terminology that implied out-of-order fossils, but close inspection of sources indicated quite the opposite).

(2) Nick's use of the AiG sources, and his continued use of the source after being told it was (1) wrong and (2) deceptive, as well as his refusal to acknowledge he was mislead, instead claiming that the "Evolutionists" were the liars.

It's not Nick's fault he was lied to. It's Nick's fault that he refuses to accept it.

Upvote 0

Gee, what a surprise. The people who study the field actually believe in it. The lack of science education in America is stunning, but what's your source for this statement?

Hey guys for thinking Nick is on drugs to being drunk
I was the only one who "thought" he might be drunk. I never said anything about him being on drugs. Nick does like to post silly nonsense frequently, but he doesn't usually do so in great waves like he did last night. Silly speculation on my part. I'll retract my post if it offends him.

I am not going to make excuses for those who need to update their websites, but like I have said before, lots of people have a life besides sitting on the computer all day long, and are involved in living that life.
Sounds like an excuse either way. It must not be that important to you if you're not willing to defend your position. Jerry told you why it matters to him so much, and he's willing to take the time to dispute the creationists. He doesn't make excuses. You do. Why is that?

- Joe

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Jun 12, 2002
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, maybe I was making an excuse. But, I seem to remember that Ken Ham speaks across the country and is involved in opening a museum. See what I mean, yet he is called a liar for not updating his website. Do I need to remind you guys of the ontogony recapitulates phologeny mistake that was in textbooks for years and years, and some people still believe. Because the refutations of such theories never seem to make the evening news, LOL.

Upvote 0
This from a peron who (obviously, because he certainly doesn't object to the practice) approves of the practice of lying about what creationists say and publish in order to discredit any valid points they make.

Maybe you can put number ONE on the list of lies you have "exposed".. if you can dig back and find where there was a lie exposed. Please, I would love to see that!

Go on and maintain plausible deniability. Defend AIG for their misleading material if it is that important to you to have something misleading with which to make your case. But, please, have the decency not to accuse others of dishonesty until you inspect your own eye.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Jun 12, 2002
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Morat
  Lankila: There are two points here. (1) AiG continued to use outdated and incorrect information, as well as make deliberatly misleading statements regarding the geochronology of the find. (This was never a case of "error", but of deception as AiG choose to use terminology that implied out-of-order fossils, but close inspection of sources indicated quite the opposite).

(2) Nick's use of the AiG sources, and his continued use of the source after being told it was (1) wrong and (2) deceptive, as well as his refusal to acknowledge he was mislead, instead claiming that the "Evolutionists" were the liars.

It's not Nick's fault he was lied to. It's Nick's fault that he refuses to accept it.

How come under close inspection to anyone besides an evolutionist wanting to believe in evolution, the fossils are incomplete and not transitional at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
I am not going to make excuses for those who need to update their websites, but like I have said before, lots of people have a life besides sitting on the computer all day long, and are involved in living that life.

Just a note: Answers in Genesis is a business, not a personal hobby. Their website isn't the creation of people in their off-hours, but the work of full-time staff, as is Creation Ex Nihlio.

The work of the AiG staff is to keep their website up to date, and the work of people like Safarti is to write the things that AiG publishes and promotes. And if he can't be bothered to correct his past mistakes, or even refrain from repeating them, then he is not doing his job.

How come under close inspection to anyone besides an evolutionist wanting to believe in evolution, the fossils are incomplete and not transitional at all.

Did you even read this thread? AiG made specific claims about the completeness of the skeleton. The first claim can be excused, as the site was not fully excavauted. The repitition of the claim, after complete excauvation, cannot be, and the failure to update old material to reflect new information isn't much better. The skeleton in question is complete, missing only the tip of the snout and parts of the feet. It certainly does have a pelvis.

Upvote 0

WinAce

Just an old legend...
Jun 23, 2002
In perpetual bliss, so long as I'm with Jess.
Visit site
✟16,806.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by npetreley

Jerry, your credibility is in the precambrian, so anything you have to say about what creationists do in the court of public opinion is about as meaningful as evolution itself. Zero.

:( Just where did Jerry or anyone else lie about what AiG specifically claims about Ambulocetos, even when those guys know it's untrue or entirely misleading?

Sounds to me like it's the scientists who are hoodwinked.

*Jaw drops*

Appealing to PUBLIC authority now? Let me ask you this--if a majority of the public believed in UFOs, Atlantis, Bigfoot and other things despite what 99% of scientists studying the relevant fields say, does that make the public right?

The fact of the matter is that no scientist can claim that YEC models provide an accurate and complete explanation for the data, because there exists data and contradictions that blow them out of the water. Not just a few things, but entire mountains of evidence and problems totally and irreconcilably incompatible with a global flood, six-day creation of everything 6000 years ago, and separately created 'kinds', to name but a few. On the other hand, evolution has mountains of evidence behind it and none contradicting it so far. It also has the observed mechanisms and clear indications from a zillion different lines of converging, independent evidence that they were used.

... 'Wow!' is all I can say. I'm completely flabbergasted by your fallacy-ridden posts. I really shouldn't be surprised, though, because I've seen even worse cases of cognitive dissonance on the parts of YECs previously... It is my sincere hope that you, like other victims, will one day recover and charlatans like AiG, the Society for UFO Research, revisionist historians and other pseudoscientists who prey on the gullible public will be increasingly exposed for who they are--basically, liars for their faith.

Dogmatic YECs in particular, the ones who claim equal scientific status for their 'models' such as the folks at AiG, give religion an undeserved bad name. They should probably be laughed out of their congregations before they do more damage to the credibility of Christianity than they already have.

Lanakila: I'm strangely unaware of Haeckel's diagrams being used in any modern textbook as evidence, as opposed to historical reference. Moreover, embryonic homology is still very strong evidence for evolution--when a baleen whale fetus has teeth that later become reabsorbed and never appear in the infant, and the evolutionary hypothesis is that whales evolved from animals with teeth, you're gonna have a tough time explaining it via 'intelligent' design.

The fact that YECs often mention 'ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny' as some kind of massive error that undermines evolution is exactly like their other claims, such as 'vestigial organs aren't vestigial'--total and complete ignorance of the relevant science.

If anything, it's an argument for MORE science education, not LESS--if no biologist accepts Haeckel's simplistic diagrams and actually base conclusions off of much more sophisticated data, but the public still accepts them surprisingly often and is largely unaware of embryonic homology, what does that say except that the public is ignorant of the last 80 years of research?

Paleontology is a well-respected science that uses principles known to be somewhat accurate even when working on a single bone. This can be checked by having a paleontologist (not the same at all as an 'evolutionist') successfully infer the characteristics of a known species merely by looking at an incomplete skeleton. Moreover, there are quite a great many things that you or I would simply be unqualified to tell from a fossil without advanced training.

When such reconstructions, based on the science of paleontology (not evolution) are compared, they provide extremely compelling evidence for evolution.

In other words, your objection basically boils down to 'if I can't hear radio waves directly, their reception must be highly inaccurate, even though radios are known to work'.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is genuinely amazing... The appeal to "a majority of the untrained general public who are not familiar with the field"?

For that matter, if "the general public" is generally right, then Christianity was a false belief system for hundreds of years until enough people converted.

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally posted by Raging Atheist
I was wondering, does anyone know anything about Nick

I have it from an unimpeachable source that petreley is an actual person that started a discussion board of his own several months ago, one of the topics of which was allegedly "science" or "creationism" or whatever it is that petreley rants and raves about here. Word got out and petreley was quickly inundated with scientific information and evidence compellingly and politely presented.

petreley and his tiny cadre of sycophants were apparently incapable of reasonably addressing the posters without immediately resorting to a wild stream of outlandish insults and bizarre personal invective.

Within days petreley banned every user that dared to present empirical science or question the Word of the Almighty petreley, deleted most of their posts, and, for the few posts that he for whatever reason allowed to remain, changed the poster's username to read "Anonymous Coward."

The tale of petreley's brief venture into the bright light of reason and open inquiry is instructive, and inspires creationists far and wide to this very day.

As you can see petreley has since retreated back into the dank underworld of evolution denial, appearing here occasionally to post an enlightening link or two to answersingenesis containing the most current available scientific research, as his ongoing and selfless contribution to the internet community.

Upvote 0