Darwinian Evolution

What does the term "Darwinian Evolution" mean to you?

• Total voters

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
This term seems to be the subject of some confusion on this forum. Thought I'd start a poll to see what people think the term "Darwinian evolution" means to them.
The process of evolution as originally conceived of by Charles Darwin, without the augmentation of later discoveries.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The process of evolution as originally conceived of by Charles Darwin, without the augmentation of later discoveries.
I completely agree, and it is now known as "Neo-Darwinism". But, why then is it still taught in school? Having been proven false because it cannot stand up to the scientific method?

I'm not saying I know the answer, I'm just a stupid surfer.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This term seems to be the subject of some confusion on this forum. Thought I'd start a poll to see what people think the term "Darwinian evolution" means to them.

I prefer "Neo-Darwinian materialism" for the version that comes with a whole bunch of naturalistic metaphysical presuppositions attached.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I completely agree, and it is now known as "Neo-Darwinism". But, why then is it still taught in school? Having been proven false because it cannot stand up to the scientific method?

What makes you think that it was proven false? And no, Neo-Darwinism is Darwin's concepts along with the genetics of Mendel. Darwin's theory predicted that something like genetics would exist but he did not know the mechanism:

Modern synthesis - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I really wanted to pick Banana :/

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

It's still being taught in school because Darwin's basic evolutionary mechanism--random variation and natural selection--does most of the evolutionary heavy lifting and needs to be understood (something that not one creationist in a hundred ever bothers with) to go on, much the same as Newtonian Mechanics is still taught in school. I notice that Creationists don't complain about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I was tempted to channel Ray Comfort and say "banana" but my better half prevailed.

ETA: This post was not a response to Non sequitur, we cross-posted.
:praying: (high-five)

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That everything can and must be reduced to physicalist explanations. You need to bring popcorn to a showdown in Philosophy of Mind.

So far "physicalist explanations" are the only ones that work when describing our world. It is not so much of a presupposition, it is more of a conclusion.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So far "physicalist explanations" are the only ones that work when describing our world. It is not so much of a presupposition, it is more of a conclusion.

Well, don't conflate methodology and metaphysics. Physicalist explanations work for describing physical phenomena, certainly, but they run into serious problems in Philosophy of Mind. Serious enough, in my opinion, to disqualify them entirely as a plausible model of reality, though your mileage may vary. In any case, it's certainly far from a foregone conclusion. I do not think pitabread was inviting debate, though.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Darwinian evolution" is not a term I use. If I encountered it in or near scientific literature, I would assume it meant specifically adaptive evolution by random variation and natural selection (in contrast to neutral evolution). If I encountered in a forum like this, I'd probably assume it didn't mean much of anything in particular.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To me, it means Jurassic Park became The Birds.

• Haha
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
To me, it means Jurassic Park became The Birds.

So, I feel like I might regret this... but, I do consider you (regardless of whether I agree with you) as 'knowledgeable'.

Can you take a look at this?

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Darwinian evolution in particular, I equate with gradualism.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, I feel like I might regret this... but, I do consider you (regardless of whether I agree with you) as 'knowledgeable'.

Can you take a look at this?
Done! :)

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Not funny (sorta).

Can you recommend a non-biased source? Or offer a Reader's Digest version?

I figured/assumed a Christian Forum would be the best source, for this.

Upvote 0