USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Do you really think for one minute people blow a gasket when I ... ahem ... "misquote" those titles, that they're [um] sincerely [/um] upset that I'm disrespecting context?

Seriously?

My gaskets are intact. Your low-rent tactics are not appreciated.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Questions:1. Do you misname The Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life when you call it, The Origin of Species?
No. Using its title can hardly be construed as misnaming.
2. Do you misname The Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life when you call it, Origins?
No. Using a commonly accepted moniker is not misnaming. Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica is often shortened to Principia. But it's never referred to as Philosophiæ Naturalis.
3. Do you misname a foreign book when you call it by its English title?
Sometimes. Should it be Bereshit or Genesis? Das Kapital or Capital?
4. When you step down the authorship of the Bible from God to man; is it okay if I step down the authorship of a couple of books from man to Satan?
The Bible has many named authors. Claiming inspiration is not the same as claiming authorship.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. Using its title can hardly be construed as misnaming.

No. Using a commonly accepted moniker is not misnaming. Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica is often shortened to Principia. But it's never referred to as Philosophiæ Naturalis.
What if someone does refer to it as such?

Should its readers have a cow over it?

And are you seriously telling me that shortening Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica to Philosophiæ Naturalis is misnaming the book?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If you can write dozens of posts with all of three or four seconds between each of them then you defnitely don't have anything worthwhile to read.

It's true these threads are not worthwhile to read.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,369.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
And are you seriously telling me that shortening Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica to Philosophiæ Naturalis is misnaming the book?
It is not an accepted way of abbreviating the title. It would therefore be ambiguous to the reader or listener. One might make such an abbreviation through ignorance, or through a cynical desire to be obtuse. In either case it would be inappropriate.

• Agree
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In either case it would be inappropriate.
I don't believe that.
Newton clearly intended the work to be viewed in this way when in 1686 he changed its title to Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica, in allusion to Descartes's most prominent work at the time, Principia Philosophiae.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,369.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe that.
The list of what you don't believe, printed on A4 in 12 point Calibri would encircle the Earth three times and wipe out a small soft wood forest in the Eiffel mountains.

• Haha
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,509.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What the..? What on earth is that? It's umpteen empty posts.

Empty? How can you ignore the thrill of consecutive integers? Certainly the people who like the posts must derive some entertainment.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Empty? How can you ignore the thrill of consecutive integers? Certainly the people who like the posts must derive some entertainment.
Maybe the objective was to break the Guinness Book of Records for the largest consecutive number of pointless incoherent posts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can you please explain why they exist?
Shore.

Some time ago (prior to 2009, I think it was) you could use "perks" that people gave you to go to the CF store and buy neat things, such as: pets, avatars, clothing, moustaches, swords, crowns, backgrounds, font styles, font sizes, and a host of other things.

I forget what those perks came in the form of.

Rep points or something.

Anyway, one of the things in the CF store that was available that I wanted real bad was a pic of a King James Bible.

It was the most expensive item in the store, and you had to have 2,000,000 reps (or whatever they were) to get one.

I posted like mad (no ref to my avatar) and was able to get one.

On a side note, a girl that used to post here (EnemyPartyII) once purchased a basket of apples and gifted it to me (since I claim my single most important post ever is my Apple Challenge).

Anyway, she gifted me a basket of apples and told me to eat them, so I purchased a King James Bible and gifted It to her and told here I would eat the apples if she would read the Bible.

Things used to really hop around here.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,471.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Shore.

Some time ago (prior to 2009, I think it was) you could use "perks" that people gave you to go to the CF store and buy neat things, such as: pets, avatars, clothing, moustaches, swords, crowns, backgrounds, font styles, font sizes, and a host of other things.

I forget what those perks came in the form of.

Rep points or something.

Anyway, one of the things in the CF store that was available that I wanted real bad was a pic of a King James Bible.

It was the most expensive item in the store, and you had to have 2,000,000 reps (or whatever they were) to get one.

I posted like mad (no ref to my avatar) and was able to get one.

On a side note, a girl that used to post here (EnemyPartyII) once purchased a basket of apples and gifted it to me (since I claim my single most important post ever is my Apple Challenge).

Anyway, she gifted me a basket of apples and told me to eat them, so I purchased a King James Bible and gifted It to her and told here I would eat the apples if she would read the Bible.

Things used to really hop around here.
And so, with that act (of taking her apples) you condemned yourself to everlasting damnation and expulsion from the Garden of Eden?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And so, with that act (of taking her apples) you condemned yourself to everlasting damnation and expulsion from the Garden of Eden?
Ouch! I ... I didn't think of that! :eek:

Upvote 0