Darwin - Half Right

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Darwin had two theories that he thought worked in concert. The first was a theory that postulated through mutations that new genetic information was being added to life forms continuously. The second thesis was that because these differences would also differ in survivability, those that were unsuited would become extinct. To him this represented a continuing "upward" evolution of life.

The second theory seems supported by evidence that we are losing genetic information as species become extinct.

However in the 150 years since Darwin first presented his ideas, no one has observed a favorable mutation in a plant or animal. Mutations do occur such as with cancer and tumors. However, for a favorable mutation one would need millions of coincidental changes to all take place at the same time and in a reproductive cell so that those changes could be passed on.

• Winner
Reactions: Gottservant

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I saw an animal documentary about vultures down in South America. They ride on thermal updrafts without needing to flap their wings. The wings have evolved over time, with missing feathers on the ends to allow air to get thru, reducing drag on the wings. All species evolve over time or they become extinct. Especially when temperatures are increasing across the earth. Peace

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Darwin had two theories that he thought worked in concert. The first was a theory that postulated through mutations that new genetic information was being added to life forms continuously.
Can you point claims that Darwin made about "genetic information?"
The second thesis was that because these differences would also differ in survivability, those that were unsuited would become extinct. To him this represented a continuing "upward" evolution of life.

The second theory seems supported by evidence that we are losing genetic information as species become extinct.
That sounds like "genetic entropy" which is a creationist hypothesis by Drs. Rob Carter and John Sanford that has not been well defined or defended.

However in the 150 years since Darwin first presented his ideas, no one has observed a favorable mutation in a plant or animal. Mutations do occur such as with cancer and tumors. However, for a favorable mutation one would need millions of coincidental changes to all take place at the same time and in a reproductive cell so that those changes could be passed on.
Check out Lenski's LTEE
One evolutionary biologist has been growing bacteria for 30 years.
His epic experiment shows that evolution never stops.

DSC-RL1219_02.jpg

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

This is unequivocally false.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you point claims that Darwin made about "genetic information?"

That sounds like "genetic entropy" which is a creationist hypothesis by Drs. Rob Carter and John Sanford that has not been well defined or defended.

Check out Lenski's LTEE
One evolutionary biologist has been growing bacteria for 30 years.
His epic experiment shows that evolution never stops.

DSC-RL1219_02.jpg
I saw an animal documentary about vultures down in South America. They ride on thermal updrafts without needing to flap their wings. The wings have evolved over time, with missing feathers on the ends to allow air to get thru, reducing drag on the wings. All species evolve over time or they become extinct. Especially when temperatures are increasing across the earth. Peace
That's simple adaptation. Not new genetic information.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I understand it, evolution was hotly debated for centuries before Darwin came along.

I even believe the fallen angels experimented with it in Genesis 6.

It finally hit a brick wall in the mid nineteenth century though and stalled.

Enter Charles Darwin, who [ahem] "discovered" the breakthrough technology: natural selection.

And evolution started moving forward again in leaps and bounds from there.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
That's simple adaptation. Not new genetic information.

By your standards, what makes the difference between adaptation and new genetic information? Give us an example if you can.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By your standards, what makes the difference between adaptation and new genetic information? Give us an example if you can.
Well, the network that makes us human for example, would take a lot more than random genetic mutations, to get from primate to man. Any significant change in body structure or brain structure would require the reprogramming of the whole system. It's not as simple as changing a few letters or numbers. Each cell has millions of actively operating RNA and protein molecules. Layer upon layer of information more complex than any computer we can come up with. To believe they somehow came about by trial and error is absurd.

Add that to the fact that there are very rarely truly beneficial mutations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
As I understand it, evolution was hotly debated for centuries before Darwin came along.

I really hope this is sarcasm.

Or is AV really a Poe?

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

It finally hit a brick wall in the mid nineteenth century though and stalled.

Enter Charles Darwin, who [ahem] "discovered" the breakthrough technology: natural selection.

And evolution started moving forward again in leaps and bounds from there.
For the past 4.5 Billion years, evolution has never stopped. On Earth, it started with an evolving planet and continued evolving when life forms began appearing and so forth onto today and will continue to the future, evolution has never stalled.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For the past 4.5 Billion years, evolution has never stopped. On Earth, it started with an evolving planet and continued evolving when life forms began appearing and so forth onto today and will continue to the future, evolution has never stalled.
That's nice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AV is not a Poe. He writes what he believes. He's very honest in that way.
Every once in awhile, I slip a doosey in! ;)

Like this one, about the earth changing poles:
It it does again, we Christians will probably get the blame for it.

Just like we did in AD 58, when it flipped, and Nero blamed us for it:

Acts 17:6 And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also;

Notice prior to AD 58, Jesus' parents lived in Galilee.

Luke 2:39 And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.

And notice how they got to Jerusalem:

Luke 2:42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.

Today, you go down to Jerusalem from Galilee, since Galilee is some 80 miles north of Jerusalem.

• Haha
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, the network that makes us human for example, would take a lot more than random genetic mutations, to get from primate to man.

Humans are primates.

Any significant change in body structure or brain structure would require the reprogramming of the whole system.

No, not really. Google HOX genes.

And you know that fully formed individual organisms don't evolve. The changes in structure you're alluding to happen in development due to mutations in germline cells. Those that "require[d] the reprogramming of the whole system" would likely lead to death of the developing embryo and therefore would not get passed on. The mutations that were small and incremental allowing the organism to survive and reproduce got passed on. It's basically a survivor bias. It's Natural Selection.

Upvote 0