Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm looking for a version of the Bible which uses YHWH/Yehovah/Jehovah and Elohim in the Old Testament, but the only one I can find still in print.

Are there others, and if not are there any problems with the Darby Bible?

Perhaps it would be helpful to know about the translator John Nelson Darby? "He is considered to be the father of modern Dispensationalism and Futurism." Personally, I am not fond of dispensationalism, nor translations where only one or even a handful of translators are involved. I believe it is good practice to have a team of translators with an oversight committee to help ensure personal biases are excluded from the translation from the range of meanings of the original languages.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps it would be helpful to know about the translator John Nelson Darby? "He is considered to be the father of modern Dispensationalism and Futurism." Personally, I am not fond of dispensationalism, nor translations where only one or even a handful of translators are involved. I believe it is good practice to have a team of translators with an oversight committee to help ensure personal biases are excluded from the translation from the range of meanings of the original languages.

Oh I know that he's the key voice behind the Left Behind school of theology...but I cannot find any other Bible which uses Jehovah and Elohim in the OT.

So I want to know if there are any specific problems with this version rather than just general concerns about Darby.

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I want to know if there are any specific problems with this version rather than just general concerns about Darby.
Darby followed the critical text generated by Westcott & Hort. Since that is a corrupted text, that is definitely an issue. Also, as someone has mentioned already, translation by a single person is not the best idea.

I believe there are some Messianic Bibles which might be translated as you would like. Google Messianic Bibles.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh I know that he's the key voice behind the Left Behind school of theology...but I cannot find any other Bible which uses Jehovah and Elohim in the OT.

Young's Literal Translation uses Jehovah almost 6,800 times but not Elohim.
Darby's uses Jehovah the same as Young's and adds Elohim to it 39 times. It uses Elohim 2 other times without Jehovah.

Young's, the YLT, is not always easy to read because of the grammatical configuration of the verses, rather like speaking Yoda speech, but most of it is just like reading the KJV.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Young's Literal Translation uses Jehovah almost 6,800 times but not Elohim.
Darby's uses Jehovah the same as Young's and adds Elohim to it 39 times. It uses Elohim 2 other times without Jehovah.

Young's, the YLT, is not always easy to read because of the grammatical configuration of the verses, rather like speaking Yoda speech, but most of it is just like reading the KJV.

Ha, yes, a good description that is :D

• Haha
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suggest you contact BTP (www.bibletruthpubishers.com) for a variety of sound Bibles, and they have the JND New Translation; and the Parallel Edition (showing both KJV & New Translation together), which I have found very helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: Inkfingers
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking for a version of the Bible which uses YHWH/Yehovah/Jehovah and Elohim in the Old Testament, but the only one I can find still in print.

Are there others, and if not are there any problems with the Darby Bible?
Darby is supposed to be fairly literal.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd heard that there was a serious problem with at least one verse but cannot remember which it was. :(
I don't know; but over the years a lot of Bible students have tended to gyrate to Darby's version and commentaries also.

(It's probably because he had a strong literalist reputation.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums