Birmingham, AL
✟459,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
View media item 61255Good morning my dear friends in Christ!

"15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” “17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever...” - I John 2:15 & 17

Becoming attached to this world is a dangerous thing. Let me explain with an illustration:

Dr. George Sweeting wrote in Special Sermons for Special Days: “Several years ago our family visited Niagara Falls. It was spring, and ice was rushing down the river. As I viewed the large blocks of ice flowing toward the falls, I could see that there were carcasses of dead fish embedded in the ice. Gulls by the score were riding down the river feeding on the fish. As they came to the brink of the falls, their wings would go out, and they... #D4Ldevotion #D4L #Christian

Refreshing Daily in God's Word: Daily Devotion: It is Dangerous to Fall in Love with the World

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think the emphasis on the text is on not putting worldly matters before our relationship with God.
It is right to enjoy the world and it is our duty to take care of it (Genesis 2:15). But we are not to fall in love with the world and forget the one who created it.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
View media item 61255Good morning my dear friends in Christ!

"15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” “17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever...” - I John 2:15 & 17

Becoming attached to this world is a dangerous thing. Let me explain with an illustration:

Dr. George Sweeting wrote in Special Sermons for Special Days: “Several years ago our family visited Niagara Falls. It was spring, and ice was rushing down the river. As I viewed the large blocks of ice flowing toward the falls, I could see that there were carcasses of dead fish embedded in the ice. Gulls by the score were riding down the river feeding on the fish. As they came to the brink of the falls, their wings would go out, and they... #D4Ldevotion #D4L #Christian

Refreshing Daily in God's Word: Daily Devotion: It is Dangerous to Fall in Love with the World

We are warned that NOW is the time of salvation by Jesus Himself. If we tarry, it may be too late, just as it was for the gull, as the world, which we are so enamored with, gets its clutches and roots deeply embedded into our hearts, minds, and souls.

Lot's wife comes to mind. She couldn't bear to leave Sodom. Her heart was very much with the city. In spite of the fact that Lot and his wife were warned to not even look back, she lingered, and did look back. She was, in essence, in love with Sodom.

The consequences were severe.

They are severe for us as well when we cannot bear to part with our enamoring of the world, and thus we extinguish the promptings and wooings of God's Holy Spirit, to choose God over the world.

We cannot have both.

Thank you for this thought-provoking reminder, study, and meditation on this cold and icy Wednesday morning in February, my friend.

God bless you and your ministry.

Reactions: D4L
Upvote 0

D4L

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2017
Birmingham, AL
✟459,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We are warned that NOW is the time of salvation by Jesus Himself. If we tarry, it may be too late, just as it was for the gull, as the world, which we are so enamored with, gets its clutches and roots deeply embedded into our hearts, minds, and souls.

Lot's wife comes to mind. She couldn't bear to leave Sodom. Her heart was very much with the city. In spite of the fact that Lot and his wife were warned to not even look back, she lingered, and did look back. She was, in essence, in love with Sodom.

The consequences were severe.

They are severe for us as well when we cannot bear to part with our enamoring of the world, and thus we extinguish the promptings and wooings of God's Holy Spirit, to choose God over the world.

We cannot have both.

Thank you for this thought-provoking reminder, study, and meditation on this cold and icy Wednesday morning in February, my friend.

God bless you and your ministry.
Amen Brinny today is the day of salvation and a good afternoon to you. Hope you have a blessed Wednesday!

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

D4L

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2017
Birmingham, AL
✟459,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think the emphasis on the text is on not putting worldly matters before our relationship with God.
It is right to enjoy the world and it is our duty to take care of it (Genesis 2:15). But we are not to fall in love with the world and forget the one who created it.
Thank you Anthony for taking the time to comment and a good afternoon to you. Hope you have a blessed Wednesday!

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen Brinny today is the day of salvation and a good afternoon to you. Hope you have a blessed Wednesday!

Thank you and amen! A very blessed Wednesday to you as well, my friend.

Reactions: D4L
Upvote 0