Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It looks like this thread has morphed into a discussion on the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Just a few points:

The Eucharist is closer to the Passover lamb than to the Levitical sacrificial system, and if you recall, all the Israelites ate of the Passover lamb, not just the priests.

Also, the Catholic concept of the Eucharist is that Christ is truly present in the elements of Communion: actually, physically, and sacramentally. Christ is not limited to the amount of flesh and blood which made up His physical body for the distribution to His faithful; He can extend these elements for as long as He wishes. Contrary to popular misconception, the Mass is a continuation of Calvary, not a re-sacrifice over and over every time, as is often heard. The Holy Eucharist, in the same way, is an extension, over all human time, of Christ's actual physical Body and Blood. This shouldn't be too hard to accept. If Christ can be concieved by the Holy Spirit, be born of a virgin, and rise from the dead after three days, He certainly ought to be able to do this. :)

The idea that bread and wine actually become the Body and Blood of Christ Himself is a tough one, to be sure---but as Thomas Aquinas said, you "cannot apprehend it by means of the senses, but only by faith, which relies on divine authority." Do I believe that the bread and wine become Jesus' actual physical Body and Blood? You bet I do. Why? Because He said it was. Period. (John chapter 6 makes it pretty clear.) Maybe some see me as a fool for that, but I see it as having childlike faith. He's God, after all, and I'm going to tell Him He can't change bread and wine into His own Body and Blood??? Who am I???

Anyway,to return to your question in the OP, Louis, there are five levels of Catholic belief; some of them are "grey areas" and some are not.

The highest is what we call "deposit", meaning the original teachings of the 12 Apostles. This is infallible material, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and it cannot be altered or changed for any reason. Some of it was written down and became Holy Scripture; some of it remained oral teaching and became what we call Sacred Tradition. Some examples of Sacred Tradition include the concept of the Trinity; the perpetual virginity of Mary; the Communion of Saints; auricular confession to priests, and the authority of the priest to forgive sins; and the concept of Apostolic succession.

Next is what we call "dogma", which is usually promulgated by a council to combat a specific heresy. This is also infallible, and it also cannot be changed. Examples of this include the Assumption of Mary and the infallibility of the Pope.

Now we come areas that can be "grey". "Doctrine" includes the teachings of theologians or scholars about some aspect of the Deposit or the Dogmas; some of this is good, some not so good. Doctrine can change over time, it can be abandoned, or revived, it can even be declared erroneous and heretical. Examples of doctrines which have bit the dust over the years include the idea of limbo and the attemped melding of Christian teaching with Platonic philosophy.

Next comes "discipline", which is usually a Church rule enforced to help people on their walk; examples of this include the pre-Vatican II practice of not eating meat on Fridays, and the practice of clerical celibacy. A discipline is "grey" in the fact that the Church can abolish it at any time if she feels it necessary.

Last is "devotion", which means the personal spiritual practices of each individual Catholic; these can change like the wind. Maybe this week you want to use Prayerbook A, maybe next week, Prayerbook B. It's all up to you.

So, in the areas of Deposit, Dogma, and a goodly amount of Doctrine, no Catholic is going to bend on them if he wants to remain a faithful Catholic who is in harmony with the Magesterium and the Holy Father. There are other things, like Marian apparitions, that you can take or leave as you choose; these are "grey" areas, after a fashion. And of course, you have the controversial areas like birth control and the Church's teachings on abortion, the death penalty, and homosexuality; some people dissent from the Church on these topics, but while they may be following their personal consciences, they are also in conflict with the stance of the Church as a whole. So those, too, are "grey" areas, in the view of the dissidents---but certainly not in the view of the Church, which sees them in clear black and white.

Dissidents from Church teaching are one of the reasons why it's usually not a good idea to ask lay Catholics about the teachings of the Catholic Church---a lot of people have been fed a lot of baloney over the years, and there's a lot of confusion out there. So if you want to know what the Catholic Church teaches, then get some books that have been put out by the Vatican, like the new Catechism, and take what you hear from some lay Catholics with a grain of salt.

Does this help, or are you more confused than ever? :)

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Okay, Wols, you done confused me...;)

After reading some other posts from Lois, I seriously doubt that he is in any way interested in your response. But I have to say that I appreciate it very much.

Two weeks ago I did ask someone at Church to point me toward anyone knowledgeable in Catholic apologetics, and with your reappearance I can ask more questions and get several responses.

Thanks very much!

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Louis, Louis, Louis. I guess that makes what Hitler did okay because he wasn't the only one to think that way, as well as abortion since so many people are for it."

never said that majority rules did I? You're assuming.*edit here* sorry sheep its okay, I didn't read your later post refering to this comment appology accepted whole heartedly *edit end*

as far as not being interested in that post sheep that was a bit mean of you to say that. You're assuming again.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Ok...so I'm gonna pull a "parent move" on you...If everyone jumped off a bridge, would you? Just because "others" are doing it too does not justify Protestantism. "

Nope..my believes are a far shade from being justified by people. I have prayed and read the bible. I even went to a catholic church a few times and talked with a priest. :)

"That may be true....that's because the current practices included 631 rules for cleanliness along with living the Ten Commandments. Jesus was not a "rebel" he was a devout Jew."

okay, I would disagree with your view then. He broke the sabbath law..well, refocused it I would say..I agree that the laws were being done for the wrong reasons..ie action without proper motivation.

"He was God who came to Earth to re-establish a new covenant with us, his people and remove some of the 631 rules the Jews lived by. He celebrated passover, which is the traditional jewish sadre meal. Study Jewish practices...Christ is the unblemished lamb that was sacraficed for our sake."

Agreed, but he also said that he came to fufill the law not to abolish ANY of it. the reasons for those laws were purity and christ's sacrifice made us pure in God's sight so no need for the laws anymore. I agree with ya.

"Ok, show me."

okay, but ONLY because you asked me to. I am here to learn about your believe and NOT to try and "spread" mine.

Okay, I'll check mat..I think that's where those verses are found..chapter 26:17-around 30..

In verse 29 he is talking metaphorically ..why not there also? In verse 29 he says, "I tell you, I will nt drhink of this fruit of the vine fron now until that day when i drink it anew with you in my father's kingdom." Is he saying here he won't drink wine until he is with God? does God drink wine? Just a couple of questions.

"Ok, now where is he? At the last supper? No, he is out in the fields preaching. If it was meant to be symbolic, don't you think this discourse would be repeated in the last supper writings? THEN, I could see how you would interpret it to be symbolic. But they take place at different times."

Did he not address the disciples and say I am the vine? He was talking to his disciples only when he said that.

"But wouldn't you think that if Christ really didn't want us to take his words "Eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood and you shall have life" as literal, don't you think the bible would reflect that? "

Honestly? No. He did it before in scripture.

"I think its absolutely essential that we understand what Christ meant. Jesus said its essential "How ever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him." How much more clearer can it get that Jesus felt it was essential - maybe we should, too."

I have a question..if that is so..then why in Luke's writtings does Judus take part in this last supper?

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Christ is not limited to the amount of flesh and blood which made up His physical body for the distribution to His faithful; He can extend these elements for as long as He wishes. "

physically he had a limited body..how is this so?

" Do I believe that the bread and wine become Jesus' actual physical Body and Blood? You bet I do. Why? Because He said it was. "

I personally think he was speaking methaphorically, just as when he said I am the vine or any of the I am statements in the book of John.

"The highest is what we call "deposit", meaning the original teachings of the 12 Apostles. This is infallible material, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and it cannot be altered or changed for any reason. Some of it was written down and became Holy Scripture; some of it remained oral teaching and became what we call Sacred Tradition. Some examples of Sacred Tradition include the concept of the Trinity; the perpetual virginity of Mary; the Communion of Saints; auricular confession to priests, and the authority of the priest to forgive sins; and the concept of Apostolic succession.
"

Woo hooo!! I'm learning!! give me more..maybe some details into the "oral" traditions passed on. I have the trinity I would love to hear more about the perpetual viginity of mary? She had other daughters and sons..how can she stay a virgin? Heard of the communion of saints but nothing too deep. Confession..I know about but would still love to hear more, authroity of priest of forgive sins..arr *bites lip* love to hear more and the concept of apostolic succesion..love to hear more there too.

"Examples of this include the Assumption of Mary and the infallibility of the Pope."

on the later..only in areas of docterine, correct?

"Does this help, or are you more confused than ever? "

Thanks wols!! Hey..can I get a copy of Catechism for free since you are "ministering" to me ;)

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see I shmucked up the HTML again. And since I have totally forgotten how to edit on this board, I make corrections below. The passage above should read:

"Sounds fishy on the surface, true--but keep in mind that the priest doesn't forgive your sins, God does; He's only using the priest as an instrument."

Sorry about that, campers. :(

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Question..Okay now I see why we differ so much in terms of prod and catholic...as a person and a christian I always question tradition because they are usually started by humans and humans are not perfect. I also agree that the perpetual virgin mary could be taken either way..*on a personal note I take it the first because what man doesn't want to sleep with his wife* Oh the forgiveness of sins the only verse that really supports it there is John 20:23 unless there is some context I am missing. I didn't have a lot of time and just read the verses you pointed to and not the whole chapter it is contained in. As far as this Goes why isn't EVERYONE allowed to forgiven sins since it seems the only indicator was the recieving of the HS?

"Sure, but there'll be a $50.00 fee for the instruction course. I accept both Visa and Mastercard. "

how about monopoly money ;) :lol:

Thanks for the info you cleared up a few things for me.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question..Okay now I see why we differ so much in terms of prod and catholic...as a person and a christian I always question tradition because they are usually started by humans and humans are not perfect.
Here, you're getting human tradition mixed up with Sacred Tradition, which is a common Protestant error. Don't let the terminology confuse you. Sacred Tradition consists of the oral teaching of the Apostles; or in short, Scripture which never got written down. Sacred Tradition is the Word of God, divinely inspired---it just didn't get put on the parchment. Remember that Jesus didn't condemn all tradition; He only condemned corrupt tradition. Specifically, He condemned corrupt Jewish tradition. There's a big difference between human tradition and divine tradition. ;)
I also agree that the perpetual virgin mary could be taken either way..*on a personal note I take it the first because what man doesn't want to sleep with his wife*
How about a man who's 25 years older than his wife, with grown children of his own, who married the girl as a dependant rather than as a conjugal partner? :)
Oh the forgiveness of sins the only verse that really supports it there is John 20:23 unless there is some context I am missing. I didn't have a lot of time and just read the verses you pointed to and not the whole chapter it is contained in. As far as this Goes why isn't EVERYONE allowed to forgiven sins since it seems the only indicator was the recieving of the HS?
Because not "everyone" was there. Only the Apostles were. And if the Apostolic office passed on to their successors, then not "everybody" has the authority to exercise that office; only the legitmate successors (i.e., bishops and priests) do.
how about monopoly money
Oh, sure. Reminds me of the time a guy tried to pay me for something, and the bills he handed me were all marked "Confederate States Treasury, Richmond, Virginia 1862". ;)

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
as far as not being interested in that post sheep that was a bit mean of you to say that. You're assuming again.
Sorry Louis, I can only go by your posts on many boards, where you have ignored posts to you that have been adequate responses to your posts. Perhaps your m.o. will change on this board.

Wols, I edited a few of your posts to remove extra spacing. On ezboard you do not need any hard returns between your "quote" codes. Just run it all in together and it will post perfectly. :)

Again, thanks for the responses and where are pictures of your beautiful babe, Noah Patrick? Beautiful name, and I can't wait until he's crawling. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"He only condemned corrupt tradition. Specifically, He condemned corrupt Jewish tradition. There's a big difference between human tradition and divine tradition. "

Ahh..got ya..I, as a prod, would say he condemned tradition without proper motivation behind it (ie heart in the right place). That is why I say it is the motivation and not the tradition that matters...to me its works vs faith in a way :) Thanks for the input!

"How about a man who's 25 years older than his wife, with grown children of his own, who married the girl as a dependant rather than as a conjugal partner? "

My only question is that if he married her just as a dependant then why so quick to try and "divorse" her when learning she was preg? Yes I do understand how scandous that is but if she was just a dependant then why bother? ;)

"Because not "everyone" was there. Only the Apostles were. And if the Apostolic office passed on to their successors, then not "everybody" has the authority to exercise that office; only the legitmate successors (i.e., bishops and priests) do."

So it was there meer presence there and not having to do with the spirit at all?

"Oh, sure. Reminds me of the time a guy tried to pay me for something, and the bills he handed me were all marked "Confederate States Treasury, Richmond, Virginia 1862". "

:lol: worth a try.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Sorry Louis, I can only go by your posts on many boards, where you have ignored posts to you that have been adequate responses to your posts. Perhaps your m.o. will change on this board."

This probably has to do with the fact that I DID NOT SEE THEM. I do not get on the net on weekends. This is my time away from the computer. If a thread gets really long really fast I look at what they are currently talking about and jump back in, I run 3 or 4 days back to respond to something. If it is THAT important there is e-mail and PM.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ahh..got ya..I, as a prod, would say he condemned tradition without proper motivation behind it (ie heart in the right place).
Here, I'll agree with you.
That is why I say it is the motivation and not the tradition that matters...
Even if the Tradition is the inspired Word of God? I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't say that about the other half of God's Word. Let's see how that would sound:
"That is why I say it is the motivation and not the Bible that matters." ;)
to me its works vs faith in a way
Ah, yes, the horrible "works" that Martin got all worked up about. :) There's a considerable list of Scriptures defending those, too, but we can debate that in another thread.
My only question is that if he married her just as a dependant then why so quick to try and "divorse" her when learning she was preg? Yes I do understand how scandous that is but if she was just a dependant then why bother?
Couldn't be because he was a righteous man (Mt. 1:19) who didn't want to publicly expose the girl, could it? Hey, even dependants deserve human dignity and consideration! (I realize that we have problems with that concept sometimes, with our money-based class system here in the Land of the Capitalist Bacchanalia, but still...) :)
So it was there meer presence there and not having to do with the spirit at all?
Not at all. Jesus knew what kind of Church He was setting up, and He knew who He wanted in charge of it. So He gathered together those specific individuals, and upon them He conferred the authority needed. And since He also knew they'd need the Holy Spirit to do the job, He conferred that upon them, too. Which is not to say that the rest of us also do not havethe Holy Spirit---we do. We just don't have the authority. ;)

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Even if the Tradition is the inspired Word of God? I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't say that about the other half of God's Word. Let's see how that would sound:
"That is why I say it is the motivation and not the Bible that matters." "

I agree and the teaching in the bible is infaultable but I wouldn't say oral tradition is. See my contrast?

"There's a considerable list of Scriptures defending those, too, but we can debate that in another thread."

Defending works and faith? blah..all out of context ;)

"Couldn't be because he was a righteous man (Mt. 1:19) who didn't want to publicly expose the girl, could it? "

Umm..if he was rightious it was his job to divorser he then :) That's why the Angel came..still holding to my view but thanks for the insights..

"We just don't have the authority. "

Ahh..there is the statement. I would just have to humbly disagree and state that I think the great commision was given to everyone along with authority in the HS as written by Paul...thanks again for the insight though..

Sheep...Never used them before..how do you????????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I am a Baptist, like LB, and I have just one question:

I saw a reference to the "infallability of the pope". What is that all about? Please forgive my ignorance but my understanding is that no one, save Jesus, is infallable in any capacity. The pope, as far as I'm concerned, is just a figurehead for the catholic church. He has risen through the political ranks of the church and got to that point. I agree that he must be a very good person, a devout believer and highly intelligent but until Jesus comes to me and says that the pope is His chosen one, then I don't think he (the pope) is any holier than I am.
The pope has no special powers; he didn't have a meeting with God to discuss his assumption of this postion; God doesn't shout it to the world that this is the person He believes will lead His church in the right direction. The catholic church is one of, if not THE, largest businesses in the world and the pope is like the CEO.

If this is too far off the subject, feel free to move it or should I start another thread? It's just that it was mentioned here so I thought I should respond here. I know I've seen this topic before and I'm sure you kind folks are tired of explaining it but please indulge me this once.

Stacie

Upvote 0

Kirkland1244

Feb 20, 2002
Visit site
✟8,029.00
Faith
Anglican
I saw a reference to the "infallability of the pope". What is that all about?

The Church is protected by the Holy Spirit from formally teaching error. Since the Pope can, through an ex cathedra statement, formally teach on behalf of the Church, when he does so, he, too, is protected from error. These statements are very, very rare (only one in the last 100 years). At other times, the Pope is as fallible, generally, as you or I. Except that he is pretty much assured of being informed. Popes, for all their faults, do do their homework.

The pope, as far as I'm concerned, is just a figurehead for the catholic church.

Just a nitpick, but a "figurehead" is a leader with no actual authority. No one would accuse the Pope of having no authority in the Catholic Church.

The catholic church is one of, if not THE, largest businesses in the world and the pope is like the CEO.

Actually, comparing the Church to a corporation is rather inaccurate. Businesses tend to make money. The Church's budget is historically in the red. The Church is a nation, however.

Kirk

Upvote 0
Kirkland,

Thank you for the kind response. I appreciate the information but I still don't believe that he is divinely protected from saying anything that is "wrong" when he puts on his robe. I do agree that the "CEO" reference may have been a bit vague and possibly inaccurate but I didn't mean that he has no say in the direction of the church; it was just a generalization. As far as the "business" part, I still think that's true. They do operate in the red most of the time and catholic priests are one of the lowest paid clergymen but many businesses are deep in debt and I've read in several well-respected magazines that it was, in fact, a business.
So, do you say that the pope is just a normal man in his mundane life and becomes divinely protected once he puts on that robe and hat? What a transformation to have to deal with as a mortal man!
Am I correct in saying that he is "elected", not appointed by God during an assembly to choose someone? Let me try to clarify that. I mean to say that he is elected from body of other elected folks as opposed to all of them being in a room for the selection and they hear a voice from above saying "This is the man I want".
I've always found the catholic family to be a very interesting group of people. I lived in New Orleans for many years and it is a prodominatly catholic city. I had to search for several weeks to find a decent Baptist church to attend.
One more quick question, if I may. My mother-in-law was a good church-going catholic for many years and she now goes only a few times a year. Now, after my husband's brother was born with cataracts and other problems, they started using birth control. She lied to her priest when he asked if anyone was doing that. I was told that she either was or would be excommunicated if this was discovered, yet she still goes to church and takes communion (no confession time that I know of). What do you think of that?

Stacie

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.