✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Louis -

This may take a bit of time, but I think its a good subject. I'll try and post some stuff this evening. Hopefully someone else will jump in sooner, but if you can wait I'll try and help you out!

Welcome and God bless.

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oops...I was busy working late last night...we'll try again today.

Louis..could you elaborate on what "views" of the Catholic Church you're curious about?

I probably can answer the "grey area" questions and the docternal questions as well. Get me some more specific details and we'll go from there.

Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
:lol: yeah sheep my spelling isn't too good. I was refering to Dogma..stuff like that. I was curious as to what you considered doctrine ie diety of Christ..My main trust is this...I have studies catholism but never really talked to any catholics that actually knew what they believed and why. I want to know why, for example I guess, you are catholic and not penicostal..ya know..differences in docterine? Is that clear as mud?

Upvote 0

Kirkland1244

Feb 20, 2002
Visit site
✟8,029.00
Faith
Anglican
I'm a Protestant who converted to Catholicism. For me the clincher was the testimony of the Early Church Fathers... the men who wrote the earliest post-Apostolic writings were Catholic. Without a doubt. They held the core beliefs I hold today, that the Church has proclaimed for 2000 years: Christ is God, the Eucharist is Real, Salvation is by Grace, the Primacy of Rome.

Plus, it didn't hurt that Southern Baptists don't like the Catholic Church. Anything the Southern Baptists don't like is worth looking into.

Kirk

Upvote 0

Wearynot

Feb 5, 2002
SC
Visit site
✟1,228.00
Faith
Christian
Plus, it didn't hurt that Southern Baptists don't like the Catholic Church. Anything the Southern Baptists don't like is worth looking into.

::sniff sniff:: I'm SB and some of my best friends are Catholics.

Hahahahahaha....I bin wantin' to use that one a looong time.

Seriously, is that really the impression a Catholic gets? I know Independant Baptists think all Catholics are going to hell, but I don't personally know any SBs who think that way.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Kirk, you crack me up. :)

My husband converted from SB, and as far as his family is concerned he might as well have shaved his head and put on an orange robe and started hanging out at airports. They have no clue what the Church really is.

Louis, the core of our beliefs are found in the Nicene, or Apostles', Creed. I, personally, like the Nicene better because it has a bit more detail and you say 'We believe" instead of "I believe". It stregthens my sense of community. Here it is:

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
one in Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he was born of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered, died, and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in fulfillment of the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Perhaps if you could be a bit more specific about the other 'doctrines', then we could be more helpful. :)

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well first, Kirk I am southern baptist..:lol: but I really view myself as the early church did and say I am a follower of the way ;)

I based on that creed, which I have studied before..but thanks always love to read it ;) southern baptists would be Catholics..What I guess I would have to say do you differ on then in most denoms? Just to let ya know..I am just curiuos..I'm not converting..and not looking to convert ;) I just have found that some of the ideas held in what I percieve to be the catholic church is just ...well to be honest kinda strange. I do submit that my perception might we way wrong, and probably is..that is why I'm asking ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wearynot

Feb 5, 2002
SC
Visit site
✟1,228.00
Faith
Christian
Awww, thanks for the hug!

Well, Kirk made a comment about Southern Baptists and how they feel about Catholics, and I asked:

Seriously, is that really the impression a Catholic gets?

I was basically raised SB and have never been taught to have any sort of condescending feelins towards Catholics. i was just curious about his comment.

Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Actually Weary, I am very naive when it comes to denominations. I was raised Catholic and so I thought everyone was Catholic. Even when I left the RCC it didn't really occur to me look at other denominations because by then I realized that we are all Christian.

The most I know about denominations is from King Henry VIII, so that's pretty useless. So I guess I'm saying I have no idea what the average Catholic things about SB and I really have no idea what the differences are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if it's necessarily a SB thing.

We talked about this on a different thread - I think someCatholics appear to be smug or condescending to Protestants.

And I believe that can run both ways - especially in the Fundamentalist and Pentacostal sects. I think its unnecessary and frankly - wrong. We are separated bretheren and its our prayer that one day we will be reunited and in full communion.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
the Sacramental life of the Church.

There are seven Sacraments we hold to and celebrate. (And which, btw, are not exclusive to the Catholic Church!) They are:

Baptism

Confirmation

Eucharist

Penance

Anointing of the Sick

Holy Orders

Matrimony

It's probably best to tackle one at a time. :) Baptism should be the least stressful. The Catechism says this about Baptism...

683. "'No one can say 'Jesus is Lord' except by the Holy Spirit.'[1 Cor 12:3 .] 'God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!''[Gal 4:6 .] This knowledge of faith is possible only in the Holy Spirit: to be in touch with Christ, we must first have been touched by the Holy Spirit. He comes to meet us and kindles faith in us. By virtue of our BAPTISM, the first SACRAMENT of the faith, the Holy Spirit in the Church communicates to us, intimately and personally, the life that originates in the Father and is offered to us in the Son.
BAPTISM gives us the grace of new birth in God the Father, through his Son, in the Holy Spirit. For those who bear God's Spirit are led to the Word, that is, to the Son, and the Son presents them to the Father, and the Father confers incorruptibility on them. And it is impossible to see God's Son without the Spirit, and no one can approach the Father without the Son, for the knowledge of the Father is the Son, and the knowledge of God's Son is obtained through the Holy Spirit.[St. Irenaeus, Dem. ap. 7: SCh 62, 41-42.]"

Are we ok with this one? :)

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, the Holy Spirit speaks to our hearts before we are baptised. Of course, baptism takes place for most Catholics as an infant, unless you join and are baptised as an adult.

I think what the section is stating is that by our baptism we are cleansed and our hearts opened to the Holy Spirit, which leads us to the son and ultimately to God.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
hmm..okay..this line threw me..."By virtue of our BAPTISM, the first SACRAMENT of the faith, the Holy Spirit in the Church communicates to us, intimately and personally......."

One thing I have heard is that communion..do you really believe you are eating flesh and blood?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.