• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Curious About Useage

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by shmuel, May 23, 2006.

1. shmuel

shmuel Active Member

+22
    Messianic
    The following is a point about which I have been curious for a number of years, but it just never seemed worth the effort to post a question about it. But recently I've seen the name Y'shua used on this forum. So before I forget about it, I am finally going to post a question on the subject.

I know a bit of Hebrew and can work with a Hebrew Tanakh. In the books of Ezra, Nehimiah and Chronicles in the Hebrew Tanakh the name yod-shin-vav-ayin appears. In all cases the yod is vocalized with a tsere which is grammatically a long e (and would be marked with an overbar if diacritical marks are used). Generally, a ' is used to transliterate a sheva (also alef and sometimes ayin, but that is not contextually reasonable here), which is a half vowel, i.e. a very briefly and indistinctly pronounced vowel. Although a sheva is often transliterated with an e (a small raised e or inverted e if such symbols are available) I have never seen a tsere transliterated as '. So my question is: Is there some convention being used that I don't understand, or is this simply an error? The Hebrew translation of the NT produced by the Bible Society in Israel always uses a tsere to vocalize the yod in the name of the Messiah; therefore, I am leaning toward the idea that the transliteration as Y'shua is, in fact, an error. Is there anyone here who can shed light on this?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. insaneinthebrain

insaneinthebrain Noahide

+173
    Judaism
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    If I was going to be 100% honest, I'd say it probably has something to do with ignorance of the Hebrew language. I know I started spelling it with the apostrophe simply because that's how I'd seen it spelled by others.

Nowadays, I've replaced the apostrophe with an "e," not because I know anything about proper pronunciation, but because that seems to be the more popular rendering. :D Also, about a year or so ago, I finally got off the bandwagon that opposes use of the name "Jesus." Since most of my friends are non-denom Christians, I tend to use "Jesus" more in emails and whatnot than "Yeshua." Sometimes you have to recognize when you're putting up a stumbling block. (feel free to ignore this tangent, as I don't want to be responsible for derailment of this thread)

3. shmuel

shmuel Active Member

+22
    Messianic

I try to use both the traditional transliteration of names that came into English by way of Greek and Latin as well as those that come directly from Hebrew to English. I want people to understand that I do not find fault with traditional transliterations. I have used the name Jesus on this subforum on more than one occasion, and I plan to continue to do so.

4. Sephania

Sephania Well-Known Member

+369
    I've always wondered where that came from too. I have seen the ezra spelling of the priest, and that is the only place you will find Yeshua in the tenach as far as I know that one priest name, and also in chroni, the course of Yeshua which I think has a higher meaning but that is another thread. :)