Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I guess I'm a bit unclear about what the question is. Would it have been better if C.S. Lewis had decided to swim the Tiber and enter into full communion with the Catholic Church? Yes, most certainly. While I think that orthodox "high-church" Anglicanism has many good points (the liturgy is wonderful!), its unwillingness to obey the Pope can cause it to wander from the truth.

If the question is whether or not a Catholic should read books by C.S. Lewis, then I'd reply in the affirmative. In terms of general Christian apologetics, Lewis certainly has to be one of the leading figures of the 20th century. His writings are numerous, instructive, clear and occasionally humorous. He's really a pleasure to read, and I think spiritually edifying as well. He shouldn't replace studying the Catechism, etc., but he is a nice addition to whatever else you might be studying.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BillH said:
I guess I'm a bit unclear about what the question is. Would it have been better if C.S. Lewis had decided to swim the Tiber and enter into full communion with the Catholic Church? Yes, most certainly. While I think that orthodox "high-church" Anglicanism has many good points (the liturgy is wonderful!), its unwillingness to obey the Pope can cause it to wander from the truth.

If the question is whether or not a Catholic should read books by C.S. Lewis, then I'd reply in the affirmative. In terms of general Christian apologetics, Lewis certainly has to be one of the leading figures of the 20th century. His writings are numerous, instructive, clear and occasionally humorous. He's really a pleasure to read, and I think spiritually edifying as well. He shouldn't replace studying the Catechism, etc., but he is a nice addition to whatever else you might be studying.

Amen and Amen... I love C.S. Lewis and how he writes... His books are wonderful.

God's Peace,

D'Ann

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
In truth only God would know.

ITs a complicated question because God is a God of Mercy and the beilieves Lewis held were very close to those of the True Church.

However he was outside the Church. If he realized he was outside of the true church, the question would then be why he remained out side of it. Was it a matter of pride fear or something else? One of those could point to rebileion. I.e telling god I know you want it done this way but I would prefer to do it my way

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JeffreyLloyd said:
Lewis was so very close to becoming Catholic. I believe it was only a family issue that held him back.

* JeffreyLloyd is a huge C.S. Lewis fan

You are probably right... We have a person who attends Mass and is soooo close and yet he has not crossed over the Tiber yet... I'm praying for him

D'Ann

Upvote 0

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jamme said:
...was an Anglican, right?

Was his faith compromised by being Anglican?
Mmm, even a Catholic's faith can be compromised. It is only living in the fullness of the truth of our faith that helps us, but it is God's grace alone that saves us.
I think if he were living right now, he would have converted, as many Anglicans are now doing because of what is happening.
*I do have a soft spot in my heart for our Anglican brethren:groupray: I hope that one day they will be in full communion with us once again.

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Epiphanygirl said:
Mmm, even a Catholic's faith can be compromised. It is only living in the fullness of the truth of our faith that helps us, but it is God's grace alone that saves us.
I think if he were living right now, he would have converted, as many Anglicans are now doing because of what is happening.
*I do have a soft spot in my heart for our Anglican brethren:groupray: I hope that one day they will be in full communion with us once again.
Thats a good point. Even those who claim the title of catholic can realy be in rebelion against our Lord and his true church as those outside.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did a OBOB search for CS Lewis and this thread is kinda on the track of a question about him~my Roman Catholic Books (out of Ft Collins) and my Ignatius Press catalogs both promote his books. I would consider both of those book sources to definitely be on the conservative side~it just seems odd to promote one that is not Catholic. Has there/is there anyone else the booksellers promote or have promoted that isn't Catholic?

In my readings of RC/EO books I've generally shelved protestant stuff~almost 3 years later since this thread ended, is CS Lewis an honorary Catholic? Is he as good as "all that" or are these booksellers out of line? Do other Catholic booksellers promote him as much?

Thanks

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So is it okay to worship in an Anglican church if one is close to Catholic thought on important issues?

From a CC point of view there is nothing wrong in going to fellowship to a Anglican Church as long as you do not partake into the Eucharist.
Our minister of tourism is salsa music leyend Ruben Blades, depite having a Jewish american wife and being friends with avant garde people like he is a goes to church. Even if he is Catholic he also went to pray to a Episcopalian Church he liked when living in New York.

About CS Lewis and Catholicism, he belonged to the anglocatholic branch of the Anglican Church, most of his beliefs, in evolution, praying for the dead, birth control were very catholic so I often find is weird that evangelicals had embraced him with gusto and Catholics not. When I saw Shadowlands, I though that he was Catholic until I read about him.
About him swiming the Tiber. JR Tolkien tried talk him into that.
But he had family issues and some issues with Papal Infalibilty that prevented that. He was critical of fundamentalists belief in a infalible Bible and Catholics belief on a infalible Church. That was his point of contention.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ConanTheLibrarian

Nov 11, 2005
Pyongtaek, South Korea
✟8,033.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
C.S. Lewis would be high on my list of reasons for becoming Catholic. He introduced me to a Catholic view on so many issues. When I was going through RCIA last year, my instructor must have lost track of the number of times we'd be discussing something, and I'd say, "I read that in C.S. Lewis!"

I'm teaching RCIA this year, and have been frequently using passages from Mere Christianity to illustrate points from the Catechism, such as on authority and the sacraments, "God like matter, He invented it."

There was even a passage that finally melted away my objection to indulgences. For this former Lutheran, that was a major issue.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Lewis wasn't Catholic but it's like he was...LOL sorry that makes no sense...I always saw his theology as pretty Catholic, except for obvious beliefs like the Pope, etc. He wrote his books for a general Christian audience.. Well Lewis is like my favourite author of all time so I'm a little biased :D

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married

About CS Lewis and Catholicism, he belonged to the anglocatholic branch of the Anglican Church, most of his beliefs, in evolution, praying for the dead, birth control were very catholic so I often find is weird that evangelicals had embraced him with gusto and Catholics not. When I saw Shadowlands, I though that he was Catholic until I read about him.
About him swiming the Tiber. JR Tolkien tried talk him into that.
But he had family issues and some issues with Papal Infalibilty that prevented that. He was critical of fundamentalists belief in a infalible Bible and Catholics belief on a infalible Church. That was his point of contention.
That describes me as well. I could easily be a charismatic Catholic, but I share Lewis' views on both an infallible Bible and an infallible Church. So instead I'm a charismatic Anglican-Lutheran who's found a good church home with an outstanding Assembly of God congregation, but who still enjoys a good traditional liturgy from time to time. :liturgy:

And like so many in this thread, I'm a huge C.S. Lewis fan. I give Lewis a lot of the credit for my being a Christian at all, since it was his arguments for it, and his own conversion experience, that I found most compelling.

Izzy,
the Catholic-friendly Pentecostal ^_^

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
C.S. Lewis would be high on my list of reasons for becoming Catholic. He introduced me to a Catholic view on so many issues. When I was going through RCIA last year, my instructor must have lost track of the number of times we'd be discussing something, and I'd say, "I read that in C.S. Lewis!"

I'm teaching RCIA this year, and have been frequently using passages from Mere Christianity to illustrate points from the Catechism, such as on authority and the sacraments, "God like matter, He invented it."

There was even a passage that finally melted away my objection to indulgences. For this former Lutheran, that was a major issue.

I'll have to dig out my copy and give it a read (it's been 20 years). Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters and that's all the Lewis (Oh, some of the Narnia books) I've read, but some of the titles listed by Roman Catholic Books seem interesting.

Just struck me odd that he'd be promoted so;are there any other noncatholic writers that enjoy this kind of status?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.