Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, we will return to dust — but then God will reshape us into new, more perfect beings in the next life.

Many years ago, I attended an Ash Wednesday service in an Anglican church in Toronto. From what I remember it was much like a Catholic Ash Wednesday service, though my memory may be flawed.

There was one difference that I remember clearly.

When the service was over the Anglican minister asked us to wipe the ashes off our forehead as we left the church. There were even wet wipes to scrub the black smudge off our foreheads.

The reason: so as not to appear proud when we made our way out into the greater world.

I was confused about what he meant by “proud.” Maybe he meant not “showing off.” Though in a country in which religion is often mocked if not dismissed outright, I’m not sure anyone in the secular world of Toronto would be envious of our black marks.

Another reason popped into my mind, though one I later thought was probably far-fetched: to not upset anyone who might ask what the ashes signify. Maybe quoting Genesis — “For you are dust and to dust you shall return” — might remind someone of a nervous nature that this life does not go on forever.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: DJWhalen