Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm not sure how I've never heard of this before, but I read last night that CS Lewis and TS Eliot were involved in a complete revision of the psalter in 1963. For some reason it never really gained traction in the CofE. I've trained to find a copy online, or even a copy for sale but haven't come up with anything. Does anyone here know where you can find a copy, as if CS Lewis has been involved with translating the psalms then I definitely want some of that!

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure how I've never heard of this before, but I read last night that CS Lewis and TS Eliot were involved in a complete revision of the psalter in 1963. For some reason it never really gained traction in the CofE. I've trained to find a copy online, or even a copy for sale but haven't come up with anything. Does anyone here know where you can find a copy, as if CS Lewis has been involved with translating the psalms then I definitely want some of that!
I thought the new BCP 2019 (ACNA) had this version of the Psalter. Maybe someone can confirm?

Anglican Church in North America – 2019 Book of Common Prayer

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Lewis helped with the Revised Psalter of 1964, but he resigned from ill-health during it, and died before it was completed. It did not really catch-on much, but you can still buy copies.

This is a link for it, though you probably need to pay for access. I wouldn't bother though, as not really having the Lewis flair, being the work of a committee, and Lewis having nothing to do with the final revision of the version.
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

• Informative
Reactions: TomUK
Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Lewis helped with the Revised Psalter of 1964, but he resigned from ill-health during it, and died before it was completed. It did not really catch-on much, but you can still buy copies.

This is a link for it, though you probably need to pay for access. I wouldn't bother though, as not really having the Lewis flair, being the work of a committee, and Lewis having nothing to do with the final revision of the version.
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals
Thanks you so much for the link and the information. I'll see if I know someone who has access to the journal.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The ACNA psalter is proprietary. It is technically called the New Coverdale Psalter and is meant to be a modest syntactical update of the Coverdale Psalter. I haven't looked at it close enough to see if they tinkered with the imprecatory Psalms.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I really don’t understand why the ACNA had to copyright their BCP. Every Episcopalian BCP has been released into the public domain.

The ACNA psalter is proprietary. It is technically called the New Coverdale Psalter and is meant to be a modest syntactical update of the Coverdale Psalter. I haven't looked at it close enough to see if they tinkered with the imprecatory Psalms.

The 1962 Canadian BCP unfortunately does modify them, which makes me sad; otherwise it would probably be my second favorite published BCP edition after the 1929 Scottish BCP and my third favorite overall after the 1928 Deposited Book.

Upvote 0