• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Cryptocurrencies and risks of alternate payment systems

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by mukk_in, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:47 AM.

1. mukk_in

mukk_in Yankees fan Supporter

+3,172
    India
    Christian
    Celibate
    I like the idea of crypto and the supporting blockchain technology has good uses. The President, however, is no fan. He does have a point. Crypto currencies can be used for money laundering, terror financing and other nefarious activities. Do these need more regulation or should they be summarily banned? What do you folks think?

Links:

Trump: I'm 'not a fan' of cryptocurrencies, and Facebook may need a banking charter for Libra

Cryptocurrency: Risks and Benefits - MICS

The Risks and Rewards of Cryptocurrencies

https://www.coindesk.com/new-york-state-sees-first-conviction-for-crypto-money-laundering

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Economist & Engineer

+874
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    I think their sole utility is to evade government regulation and restriction. And I'm not really even thinking about the US, but rather places like Turkey, Iran, or Venezuela where capital flight is prevented by government restriction. When people are unable to get their capital out through normal banking channels, crypto could offer a very viable alternative. I do suppose this would be the primary utility in the US too though - that and perhaps as a way to gamble.

I don't buy all the other talk about crypto being a "currency" (it's not), a store of value, or having a stable quantity.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List