Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd rather say that He's crucified on Thursday.....

Friday (the preparation day for the Sabbath) is the only possible crucifixion day. If Jesus was crucified Thursday, Cleopas could not have said Sunday was third day since all this took place. If he was crucified Thursday, then Sunday would have been the 4th day since the handing over and the crucifixion.

Remember, Sunday was the third day since "all this took place," the handing over to the rulers and the crucifixion, not just since the burial.

Luke 24:20 The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friday (the preparation day for the Sabbath) is the only possible crucifixion day. If Jesus was crucified Thursday, Cleopas could not have said Sunday was third day since all this took place. If he was crucified Thursday, then Sunday would have been the 4th day since the handing over and the crucifixion.

No, you don't seem to have read my points listed.

Jesus was raised on the third day after His death. So,

On the first day after His death, it's a Friday.
On the second day after His death, it's a Saturday.
On the third day after His death, it's a Sunday on which He's raised.

Sunday is exactly the third day after His crucifixion.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The 1st and 7th day of ULB are called a holy convocation, never a "Shabbat."...

That is interesting claim, because Wikipedia says:

Special Shabbatot are Jewish Shabbat days, on which special events are commemorated. Variations in the liturgy and special customs differentiate them from the regular Sabbaths and each one is referred to by a special name. Two such Sabbaths, Shabbat Mevarchim, which immediately precedes a new month, and Shabbat Rosh Chodesh, which coincides with the new month, can occur on several occasions throughout the year. The other special Sabbaths occur on specific sabbaths before or coinciding with certain Jewish holidays during the year, according to a fixed pattern.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Shabbat

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, you don't seem to have read my points listed.

Jesus was raised on the third day after His death. .....

Yes I read, and you are wrong. I'll trust Luke over you. He said Sunday was the third day after the handing over and crucifixion. The counting does not start at Christ's death according to any of the timeline passages, and even in that case, Christ died the same day he was crucified. But the timeline starts at the handing over.

• “suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law,“ crucified, resurrected third day (Matt. 16:21)
  • “delivered into the hands of men,” crucified, resurrected third day (Matt. 17:22)
  • “delivered over to the chief priests and the teachers of the law,” crucified, resurrected third day (Matt. 20:18-19, Mark 10:33-34)
  • “suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law,” crucified, resurrected third day (Luke 9:21-22)
  • “delivered over to the Gentiles,” crucified, resurrected third day (Luke 18:32-33)
  • “delivered over to the hands of sinners,” crucified, resurrected third day (Luke 24:7).

In your unbiblical scheme, Sunday is the fourth day.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Um, no. It's not possible. Read your Bible!

Mark 16:9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons.​

The first day of the week does not begin at midnight..

telling me to “read my bible” is silly. I can easily tell you the same thing. It’s pointless.

The Messiah could have risen on the first day of the week and risen from the dead on a “Saturday” night, because the first day of the week begins on our “Saturday” evening.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is interesting claim, because Wikipedia says:
Special Shabbatot are Jewish Shabbat days, on which special events are commemorated. Variations in the liturgy and special customs differentiate them from the regular Sabbaths and each one is referred to by a special name. Two such Sabbaths, Shabbat Mevarchim, which immediately precedes a new month, and Shabbat Rosh Chodesh, which coincides with the new month, can occur on several occasions throughout the year. The other special Sabbaths occur on specific sabbaths before or coinciding with certain Jewish holidays during the year, according to a fixed pattern.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Shabbat
I saw that article too. But Wiki is about as reliable as the scribbling on a public facility wall. Every article has many [edit] links. Anybody can post, change, delete anything, at any time without review. Please see my [ post #68]
, above where I quote from 2 Jewish sources.
....1st and 7th ULB cannot be a true Sabbath because preparing/cooking food is expressly permitted. Since cooking food is permitted on 1st/7th ULB they would have no preparation day. And all four gospels agree that Jesus was crucified and buried on the day of preparation. Cooking food is expressly prohibited on the "the Sabbath."

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The first day of the week does not begin at midnight..

telling me to “read my bible” is silly. I can easily tell you the same thing. It’s pointless.

The Messiah could have risen on the first day of the week and risen from the dead on a “Saturday” night, because the first day of the week begins on our “Saturday” evening.

Yes, that is true if you're referring our common view of Saturday night and not the Jewish Saturday night which is prior to Saturday. But read the rest of the verse. Both John and Mark do not merely say Jesus rose sometime, day or night, on Sunday (the first day of the week). They both explicitly say he rose early Sunday morning.

John 20:1 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. (emphasis mine)

Mark 16:9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. (emphasis mine)​

The word here is proi: in the morning, early, the morning watch, which ushers in the dawn, dawn; early; morning. (Mounce) He also uses the word day (Gen. 1:5), which is the daylight portion of Sunday. This cannot refer to a nighttime resurrection. It's common sense and plain to any reader. It has been understood for centuries and millennia. So, no, it's not silly to tell you to read, with the implication of read carefully. Neither a Saturday, nor nighttime resurrection is possible.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, that is true if you're referring our common view of Saturday night and not the Jewish Saturday night which is prior to Saturday. But read the rest of the verse. Both John and Mark do not merely say Jesus rose sometime, day or night, on Sunday (the first day of the week). They both explicitly say he rose early Sunday morning.

John 20:1 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. (emphasis mine)

Mark 16:9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. (emphasis mine)​

The word here is proi: in the morning, early, the morning watch, which ushers in the dawn, dawn; early; morning. (Mounce) He also uses the word day (Gen. 1:5), which is the daylight portion of Sunday. This cannot refer to a nighttime resurrection. It's common sense and plain to any reader. It has been understood for centuries and millennia. So, no, it's not silly to tell you to read, with the implication of read carefully. Neither a Saturday, nor nighttime resurrection is possible.
It was definitely silly(and ironic) to tell me to “read your bible”, because John 20:1 is talking about Mary’s visit to the tomb, even though you’re attempting to use it to show when he was resurrected.

Also, do you have any other verses aside from Mark? You may or may not be aware, that those verses(Mark 16:9-20) are debated on whether or not they should even be in certain bibles, because they do not appear in earlier manuscripts. They aren’t exactly the most valid for what you’re attempting to prove.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was definitely silly(and ironic) to tell me to “read your bible”, because John 20:1 is talking about Mary’s visit to the tomb, even though you’re attempting to use it to show when he was resurrected.

Also, do you have any other verses aside from Mark? You may or may not be aware, that those verses(Mark 16:9-20) are debated on whether or not they should even be in certain bibles, because they do not appear in earlier manuscripts. They aren’t exactly the most valid for what you’re attempting to prove.

Now you're really getting pathetic. Instead of admitting the obvious, based on numerous verses, you're now doubting the word of God, all in the name of pride. Are sure this is the path you want to go down?

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now you're really getting pathetic. Instead of admitting the obvious, based on numerous verses, you're now doubting the word of God, all in the name of pride. Are sure this is the path you want to go down?

It’s not a secret that those verses don’t appear in earlier manuscripts of Mark. Discussing their validity is not “doubting the word of God”.

Where are these “numerous verses”? You only showed 1. What you quoted from John was not about the timing of his resurrection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It’s not a secret that those verses don’t appear in earlier manuscripts of Mark. Discussing their validity is not “doubting the word of God”.

Where are these “numerous verses”? You only showed 1. What you quoted from John was not about the timing of his resurrection.

Third day passages. I've shared about a dozen so far. And the word day as distinct from the word night. That fact that Jesus was raised the third "day" precludes the possibility of a nighttime resurrection. But this is not going to phase someone who doubts the word of God. If you're committed to Wednesday, there's nothing that can change that. It's a heart issue at this point.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I read, and you are wrong. I'll trust Luke over you.

Apparently you didn't read. I don't have a conflict with Luke. It's your false claim here.

Sunday is the third day after Jesus' crucifixion on which Jesus is raised.
By simple logic and simple math, Saturday is thus the second day after Jesus' death.
By the same simple logic, Friday is thus the first day after Jesus' death.
By the same simple logic, Thursday is thus the day on which Jesus is crucified.

Please re-read.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,595.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
By the same simple logic, Friday is thus the first day after Jesus' death.
Jews counted inclusively, they had no "zero", so the first day after Jesus' death refers to the day of Jesus' death.

Upvote 0