Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let me know your thoughts and arguments.

Sorry, I believe it was as the Bible tells it was, that Jesus will be raised at third day.

…and will hand him over to the Gentiles to mock, to scourge, and to crucify; and the third day he will be raised up."
Matthew 20:19

And because the tomb was found empty at Sunday, Friday can’t be the right day. If Jesus rose on Sunday and not Saturday, it would mean Jesus was buried at Thursday evening. And I believe things went as in the schedule here:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/r.berg/Kuvat/Passover.png

But it is also possible that Jesus had risen at Saturday. And then it would mean that Jesus was buried at Wednesday evening. This would mean there were not two Shabbat days in a row, but one regular day between them. And that would have given time for the women to prepare things for Jesus in the tomb, which is why it is ok scenario. However, John tells the Shabbat was special one and I think that can mean there were two Shabbat days in a row.

Therefore the Jews, because it was the Preparation Day, so that the bodies wouldn't remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a special one), asked of Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
John 19:31

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, I believe it was as the Bible tells it was, that Jesus will be raised at third day.

I do too. I believe Jesus was crucified Friday and Raised Sunday morning.

And because the tomb was found empty at Sunday, Friday can’t be the right day. If Jesus rose on Sunday and not Saturday, it would mean Jesus was buried at Thursday evening. And I believe things went as in the schedule here:

Friday is the only day that works if Sunday is the third day. If you believe a Wednesday crucifixion, then Sunday is the fifth day, especially since "all these things took place."

But it is also possible that Jesus had risen at Saturday.

Impossible. Scripture says Jesus rose the first day of the week, which is the 3rd day since the crucifixion.

Mark 16:9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons.​

And the word "early" is a reference to morning. proi - in the morning, early, Mt. 16:3; 20:1; Mk. 15:1; Acts 28:23; the morning watch, which ushers in the dawn, Mk. 13:35 ˘ dawn; early; morning. (Mounce) Mark cannot be referring to the night before. The resurrection had to have occurred during the twilight of the morning on the first day of the week.

Sunday morning is your only possible resurrection time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You're repeating my arguments. You're not following the conversation. Not sure what else to tell you expect read the OP and read the attached article. Then you can possibly give some intelligent input.

There is so much hostility in every post in this thread from you. I am having trouble reading the retorts because i personally feel accosted even though i was not one being addressed.

I really want to understand each person's opinion but i am having trouble getting past the aggression.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know the argument. It's been made for centuries. It's a back against the wall argument. There's never any corroboration for it. Nothing from Jewish tradition about it. It's a doesn't hold water.
You can say part of a day means day and part of night means night, but to go further and insist that 3 days and 3 nights means 3 days and 2 nights has no foundation. There is no idiomatic precedent for it. It's made up.
Prove it. I see no evidence from the OT or from jewish tradition this is a reference to the grave. "Under the earth" is a reference to burial, widely used, but "heart of the earth" is never used in this sense. In fact, in a pure literal sense, it's speaking of the geographic center of a land, much like we understand the term, heartland. If you think different, show me.
Not only that, heart of the earth is akin to belly of the whale, also not a reference to the grave.
The "literal" application is further lessened by the fact that Jonah was alive while he was inside the big fish. So Jesus was not in the heart of the earth literally "as" Jonah was inside the fish.
And unless you have recently started using the name Calminian I haven't seen your around for more than a decade.

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
<12>Sorry, I believe it was as the Bible tells it was, that Jesus will be raised at third day.
…and will hand him over to the Gentiles to mock, to scourge, and to crucify; and the third day he will be raised up."
Matthew 20:19
But it is also possible that Jesus had risen at Saturday. And then it would mean that Jesus was buried at Wednesday evening. This would mean there were not two Shabbat days in a row, but one regular day between them. And that would have given time for the women to prepare things for Jesus in the tomb, which is why it is ok scenario. However, John tells the Shabbat was special one and I think that can mean there were two Shabbat days in a row.
Therefore the Jews, because it was the Preparation Day, so that the bodies wouldn't remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a special one), asked of Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
John 19:31<12>
You would be correct if all four gospels did not agree that Jesus was crucified and buried on preparation day. Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, Matthew 27:62, John 19:31

The Greek word translated "preparation" is παρασκευή/paraskeue. It does mean preparation but it was and is to this day the name of the day known to us as "Friday."
.....The first and last day of the feast of unleavened bread [ULB] are called "a holy convocation" but they are never called a Sabbath. The holy convocation of ULB differs from a Sabbath in that the preparation and cooking of food is specifically permitted. Thus no "preparation" is required to prepare for ULB. There was, is and always will be only one Sabbath during Passover week. The Sabbath in passion week was a high day because the first day of ULB fell on the weekly Sabbath.
Exodus 12:16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.
John Gill for that sabbath day was an high day; it was not only a sabbath, and a sabbath in the passover week, but it was the day in which all the people appeared and presented themselves before the Lord in the temple, and the sheaf of the first fruits was offered up; all which solemnities meeting together made it a very celebrated day: it is in the original text, "it was the great day of the sabbath"; which is the language of the Talmudists, and who say (d),
נקרא שבת הגדול "is called the great sabbath", on account of the miracle or sign of the passover;''
and in the Jewish Liturgy (e) there is a collect for the "great sabbath": hence the Jews pretending a great concern lest that day should be polluted, though they made no conscience of shedding innocent blood,
(d) Piske Tosephot Sabbat, art. 314.(e) Seder Tephillot, fol. 183. 2. &c. Ed. Basil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The "literal" application is further lessened by the fact that Jonah was alive while he was inside the big fish. So Jesus was not in the heart of the earth literally "as" Jonah was inside the fish.
And unless you have recently started using the name Calminian I haven't seen your around for more than a decade.

Jesus said that just as Johan was 3 days and nights in the while, so Jesus would be 3 days and nights in the "heart of the earth" whatever that means. You claim it's the grave, but there's nothing analogous to the grave in Jonah's captivity to the whale.

But if "heart of the earth" is referring to Jesus' captivity to earthly judges, that is analogous. And the timeline of Jesus' captivity, from Thursday night to Sunday morning is 3 days and 3 nights.

But the grave analogy doesn't work on any level. He wasn't in the grave 3 nights, and there's nothing in the metaphor or the Jonah analogy to suggest the grave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is so much hostility in every post in this thread from you. I am having trouble reading the retorts because i personally feel accosted even though i was not one being addressed.

I really want to understand each person's opinion but i am having trouble getting past the aggression.

You seem overly sensitive, to be honest. It's a debate forum, so sometimes arguments and points can be pointed (so to speak). There's no hostility. Just try to relax and follow the conversation.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have read where some say that he was killed on Thursday and thus a literal 3 days and 3 nights. They make this claim based upon the belief that there might have been a religious holiday that year on Thursday.

A Thursday crucifixion, starting during the day, would be 4 days and 3 nights. Only Friday gives us 3 days, while the incarceration of Jesus gives us 3 nights.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You can say part of a day means day and part of night means night, but to go further and insist that 3 days and 3 nights means 3 days and 2 nights has no foundation. There is no idiomatic precedent for it. It's made up.
You, like the author of the article you linked, completely misunderstand the idiom.
The "whole" of the synecdoche is 1 day and 1 night, otherwise known as 24 hours. 2 days and 2 nights would be 2 "wholes", and 3 days and 3 nights is 3 "wholes".
The same idiom is used in 1 Samuel 30:12.

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You, like the author of the article you linked, completely misunderstand the idiom.
The "whole" of the synecdoche is 1 day and 1 night, otherwise known as 24 hours. 2 days and 2 nights would be 2 "wholes", and 3 days and 3 nights is 3 "wholes".

well well well LOL

• Haha
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

ziggy29

Site Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Pacific Northwest
✟27,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I have come to believe is from the Creeds, which say "on the third day" came the resurrection. Now assuming they had no Day Zero, the "Friday" (as we know it now) of his crucifixion was Day 1, Saturday was Day 2, and Sunday (what we call Easter) is Day 3. So he would have been raised on Day 3, but that's not the same thing as saying he was dead for three days. In fact, given that he was found to not be at the tomb on Sunday morning, he may have been dead for less than 48 hours -- part of Friday, all of Saturday, and into Sunday morning. But in a very real and literal sense it could still be "on the third day".

For a somewhat more contemporary example, I go back to the Iranian hostage crisis. Those of you old enough to remember can recall the news always taking about how many days they were held captive. The day they were taken was "Day 1" and they were released on "Day 444", but it was 443 days after they were taken hostage. So too, then, could Christ have been crucified on Day 1 and resurrected on Day 3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How is quoting Origen a "simple study of the bible"? LOL!

So from that general statement, you concluded Jesus never said 3 days? Did Origen say Jesus never said that? You have nothing. You made an insane statement and you're too proud to walk it back.
Stop being so defensive and listen.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You seem overly sensitive, to be honest. It's a debate forum, so sometimes arguments and points can be pointed (so to speak). There's no hostility. Just try to relax and follow the conversation.
You should be the one relaxing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I have come to believe is from the Creeds, which say "on the third day" came the resurrection. Now assuming they had no Day Zero, the "Friday" (as we know it now) of his crucifixion was Day 1, Saturday was Day 2, and Sunday (what we call Easter) is Day 3. So he would have been raised on Day 3, but that's not the same thing as saying he was dead for three days. In fact, given that he was found to not be at the tomb on Sunday morning, he may have been dead for less than 48 hours -- part of Friday, all of Saturday, and into Sunday morning. But in a very real and literal sense it could still be "on the third day".....

Absolutely. Definitely crucified Friday, definitely rose in the twilight of the morning Sunday. That's the only possible way the third day makes sense.

So technically he was dead 3 days, Friday just before sundown, Saturday and Sunday just after dawn and before sunrise.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Okay, but this isn't an argument, it's a tantrum. I'm arguing from Scripture which says that days and nights are distinct, Gen. 1:3-5. You argue against their distinctness, God argues for them. Who do you think wins that argument?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, but this isn't an argument, it's a tantrum.
That would describe your response, yes.
I'm arguing from Scripture which says that days and nights are distant, Gen. 1:3-5. You argue against their distinctness, God argues for them. Who do you think wins that argument?
Finished your tantrum?
A day is 12 hours, a night is 12 hours, and one day (distinct) and one night (distinct) is 24 hours, the "whole" of the synecdoche. From a linguistic and literature viewpoint it is obvious that "three days and three nights" is idiomatic speech. The Bible is good literature and is very well written. Sadly this current generation has been raised on the likes of J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer and has no appreciation of even basic literary devices.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

TexFire316

Come as a child, with no agenda
Jan 31, 2017
Conroe, Texas
Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's my view.

With Easter approaching, this debate has been completely resolved, in my mind. The crucifixion was Friday and the 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth were literal. The problem is solved when you correctly define the phrase "heart of the earth."

While everyone's arguing about whether the days and nights are literal, nobody's trying to understand this phrase. I don't believe it's a reference to the tomb. It's rather a reference to Christ submitting to earthly authorities for judgment.

This article describes the view in depth: What did Jesus mean by 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth?

Think about it. Jesus compared the "heart of the earth" to Jonah in the "belly of the whale" where he remained captive, but not dead. The phrase "heart of the earth, is not found anywhere else in the Bible. There's nothing in it to suggest it's a reference to the grave.

But if the phase refers to Christ's captivity to earthly authorities, the timeline works out perfectly. Taken captive Thursday night, raised Sunday morning. Exactly 3 nights and 3 days.

Also, the Apostles always reference the incarceration of Jesus in the Crucifixion Resurrection timeline.

Luke 24:20 The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place.​

Let me know your thoughts and arguments.

Perhaps we should try to avoid attempting to force the Scriptures to match our church customs. If we just simply remove Easter Sunday from the equation and follow the Biblical timeline, we can figure it out. Not from what our leaders tell us, but what the Bible tells us. Starting with those women that had to wait until the Sabbath was completed before they could annoint Christ's body. They found Him already risen at the close of Sabbath (sundown). So the first question we must answer is, 'was this the weekly Sabbath (Friday evening to Saturday evening), or was this the special Sabbath related to the Passover?

Upvote 0

Rodron

Feb 23, 2019
Birmingham
✟10,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
"3 days and 3 nights" is three whole "days and nights", the "whole" part of the synecdoche. It is not saying 2 nights = 3 nights.

You are missing the trees for the forest. "3 days and 3 nights" isn't part synecdoche and part not synecdoche, it either is or it isn't

"heart of the earth" = "Hades". It does not mean what you are claiming.

Agree!! this is what I see
Jonah 1:17 (KJV)
17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Matthew 12:40 (KJV)
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

If Friday were the day of the crucifixion, it would look like this. Friday Jesus died around 3 PM put in the tomb before sundown = 1day. Saturday in the tomb = 1day 1-night Sunday in tomb he rose before the sun came up. = 1-night Total time 2 days 2- nights

Scripture does not support five days from the entry of Jerusalem to the crucifixion, plus there’s not three days and three nights from Friday afternoon to Sunday before sunrise that’s only two days and two nights Sunday would be the second day not third.
Three days and three nights would look more like this
Thursday Jesus died around 3pm put in the tomb before sundown = 1day
Friday in tomb First day of Unleavened Bread Holy convocation = 1day 1night
Saturday Jesus in tomb 7th day Sabbath = 1day 1night
Sunday Feast of First Fruits Jesus rose before sunrise = 1night
Total Time = 3days 3nights Jesus ascended around same time the priest waived the sheaf of the wave offering, the reason He would not let Mary touch Him.

John 20:17 (KJV) 17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

The most important thing to realize is that it is a matter of heart between the believer and the Lord, and not judged by any man. The above is what I see and what the scripture voices to me regardless of the day, it does not change what was done that we have hope in Jesus Christ. in light and love Rodron

Upvote 0