Not open for further replies.

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
I am speaking of the ancient Hebrew alphabet, not today's modern Hebrew alphabet. There is a bg difference; today's Taw no longer looks cross-shaped.

This is the ancient Hebrew Taw (Tau in Greek) script;

heb_a_tav.gif

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Rising_Suns said:
I am speaking of the ancient Hebrew alphabet, not today's modern Hebrew alphabet. There is a bg difference; today's Taw no longer looks cross-shaped.

This is the ancient Taw (Tau in Greek) script;

heb_a_tav.gif

Blessings,

-Davide
The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, not Greek.

Upvote 0

mesue

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Rising_Suns said:

heb_a_tav.gif

Blessings,

-Davide
my point I bolded. But, I have to admit it looks quite silly. :blush: Sorry.
The manuscripts Rome used are just as old as the manuscripts anyone else used. So, I am compelled to ask, what's your point?

Upvote 0

mesue

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Carrye said:
I wrote a (short) paper on this for my Trinity class. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.
I appreciate the offer, however I will trust in God's word. But I really do appreciate your thoughtfulness and have no doubt that it's a most impressive paper.

Upvote 0
STAFF HAT ON

Non-Baptists/AnaBaptists are reminded that you are only allowed to post -A- question or for fellowship type post ONLY in the Baptist Forum.

There has been discussing/debating in this thread and that is a violation of Baptist forum rules.

Please observe the rules in the Baptist forum from this point or staff action will happen.

STAFF HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
mesue said:
my point I bolded. But, I have to admit it looks quite silly. :blush: Sorry.
The manuscripts Rome used are just as old as the manuscripts anyone else used. So, I am compelled to ask, what's your point?

My point was that God commanded people in the Old Testament to "mark" foreheads with a sign (a sign that happens to look like a cross). I thought I made this clear; ancient Hebrew has the letter "Taw", which is shaped like a "t".

My original point in using this passage, however, was just to show how God calls on us to do outward things. He could have just as easily looked into the hearts of those He wanted to save at passover, but instead He said to mark the blood of a lamb on their doorposts; again, another outward sign.

It was just a small appeal that I thought was pertinent to this topic of "crossing" oneself.

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Canadian75 said:
There is certainly nothing unbiblical about crossing yourself. Then again it isn't from scripture either. It an old Christian tradition (it must be old since both the EO and RCC both do it) though I don't know exactly how old. I don't find it any different than folding your hands or lifting them when you pray. That's also a nonscriptural but common tradition. The only problem people might have is if they don't want to be associated in any way with the EO or RCC.

I remember reading some relatively early church fathers who advocated making the sign of the cross. Unfortunately, I can't remember which authors it was.

Anyway, I don't really see anything wrong with making the sign of the cross. I don't do it. But I'm not offended by Christians who do so. Like Saint Paul said: what you do, do for the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
We do NOT cross ourselves to "announce" to God that we are praying or in some superstitious belief that crossing ourselves accomplishes something. It is a way of recollecting oneself and bringing oneself into the realization of Paschal mystery which is the center of our Christian faith.

From catholic.org

One of the main teachings of the early Church Fathers is that the sign of the cross is a declaration of defense against the devil. When you sign yourself, you are declaring to the devil, "Hands off. I belong to Christ; he is my protection." It's both an offensive and defensive tool.

Q: Why do Catholics use the sign of the cross with holy water upon entering and exiting a church?

Ghezzi: In order to participate in the great sacrifice of the Mass, you need to be baptized. Using holy water to sign yourself is saying "I am a baptized Christian and I am authorized to participate in this sacrifice."

When you make the sign of the cross when you leave, you say that the Mass never ends -- your whole life is participating in Christ's sacrifice.

Ghezzi: I think that it's not something to be taken casually. The sign of the cross has enormous power as a sacramental; it does not cause the spiritual thing it signifies but draws on the prayer of the Church to affect us in our lives. The sign of the cross is the supreme sacramental.

Q: When did the sign of the cross originate?

Ghezzi: The sign of the cross is a very ancient practice and prayer. We don't have any indication of it in Scripture...

Underlined parts by me.. IOW - Why Baptists have no business participating in "crossing" ourselves.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
bleechers said:
Underlined parts by me.. IOW - Why Baptists have no business participating in "crossing" ourselves.

What about Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists, and others who don't view the ordinances (or "sacraments") in the same way as Roman Catholics? Since the opinions you quoted in your last post aren't recognized by any of them, can people from these denominations cross themselves?

Upvote 0

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
arunma said:
What about Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists, and others who don't view the ordinances (or "sacraments") in the same way as Roman Catholics? Since the opinions you quoted in your last post aren't recognized by any of them, can people from these denominations cross themselves?

For the last reason...

Ghezzi: The sign of the cross is a very ancient practice and prayer. We don't have any indication of it in Scripture...

The bigger question is why do these others do it? I don't know of any Methodists that do this, but the others didn't move very far from Rome when they left.

Since Baptists are not Protestants, we shouldn't take leftovers and force them on Christians.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Rising_Suns said:

heb_a_tav.gif

Blessings,

-Davide

I'm looking at the ancient hebrew alphabet and the tav still doesn't look cross shaped. Whoever told you that the mark was a cross was fibbing to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
bleechers said:
The bigger question is why do these others do it? I don't know of any Methodists that do this, but the others didn't move very far from Rome when they left.

Since Baptists are not Protestants, we shouldn't take leftovers and force them on Christians.

But let's be honest, here. A good number of the things we do aren't found in Scripture either. The charismatic practice of raising one's hands in the air during worship isn't found in Scripture (unless one uses an odd interpretation of Saint Paul's statement "lift up holy hands"). Infant dedication isn't found in Scripture. My church celebrates Advent, Christmas, Holy Week, and Easter. None of those things are found in Scripture, with the exception of Easter. And according to Scripture, even Easter should be celebrated on the Hebrew day of 14 Nisan; it was church tradition that fixed Easter on a specific day according to the solar calendar. For that matter, prayer in any language other than Hebrew or Greek isn't found in Scripture. Greek was the church's official language until Saint Victor the Bishop of Rome (or Pope, for all the Catholics out there) began writing in his native language of Latin.

Baptists might not be Protestants, but the Protestant reformation has had an impact on us. Most of the influential figures in Baptist thought (at least at my church), such as Martin Luther and John Calvin, were Protestants. And chances are, they probably crossed themselves. I do not despise church tradition, which is why I'm not against this practice.

I think we need to remember that sola scriptura doesn't mean that Scripture is the only thing we ever read. It means that Scripture is the only writing that is infallible. Certainly we can base our worship around tradition. The very idea of holding one church service a week, with worship songs and a sermon, come from the tradition of the Jews. Just because something isn't found specifically in Scripture doesn't make it bad. If that were so, we ought to burn every copy of The Purpose Driven Life, which many evangelicals are so fond of. So I'm not sure I can see what anyone would find so objectionable about crossing oneself.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
lambslove said:
I'm looking at the ancient hebrew alphabet and the tav still doesn't look cross shaped. Whoever told you that the mark was a cross was fibbing to you.

See the last character.....

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/4_chart.html

Al
heb_a_aleph.gif
A Ox head Strong, Power, Leader Aleph [size=+2]א [/size]silent Bet
heb_a_beyt.gif
B, Bh Tent floorplan Family, House, In Beyt [size=+2]ב [/size]B, V Gam
heb_a_gimel.gif
G Foot Gather, Walk Gimal [size=+2]ג [/size]G Dal
heb_a_dalet.gif
D Door Move, Hang, Enterance Dalet [size=+2]ד [/size]D Hey
heb_a_hey.gif
H, E Man with arms raised Look, Reveal, Breath Hey [size=+2]ה [/size]H Waw
heb_a_vav.gif
W, O, U Tent peg Add, Secure, Hook Vav [size=+2]ו [/size]V, O, U Zan
heb_a_zayin.gif
Z Mattock Food, Cut, Nourish Zayin [size=+2]ז [/size]Z Chets
heb_a_chet.gif
Hh Tent wall Outside, Divide, Half Chet [size=+2]ח [/size]Hh Thet
heb_a_tet.gif
Th Basket Surround, Contain, Mud Tet [size=+2]ט [/size]T Yad
heb_a_yud.gif
Y, I Arm and closed hand Work, Throw, Worship Yud [size=+2]י [/size]Y Kaph
heb_a_kaf.gif
K, Kh Open palm Bend, Open, Allow, Tame Kaph [size=+2]כ [/size]K, Kh Lam
heb_a_lamed.gif
L Shepherd Staff Teach, Yoke, To, Bind Lamed [size=+2]ל [/size]L Mem
heb_a_mem.gif
M Water Chaos, Mighty, Blood Mem [size=+2]מ [/size]M Nun
heb_a_nun.gif
N Seed Continue, Heir, Son Nun [size=+2]נ [/size]N Sin
heb_a_samech.gif
S Thorn Grab, Hate, Protect Samech [size=+2]ס [/size]S Ghan
heb_a_ayin.gif
Gh Eye Watch, Know, Shade Ayin [size=+2]ע [/size]silent Pey
heb_a_pey.gif
P, Ph Mouth Blow, Scatter, Edge Pey [size=+2]פ [/size]P, Ph Tsad
heb_a_tsade.gif
Ts Man on his side Wait, Chase, Snare, Hunt Tsade [size=+2]צ [/size]Ts Quph
heb_a_quf.gif
Q Sun on the horizon Condense, Circle, Time Quph [size=+2]ק [/size]Q Rosh
heb_a_resh.gif
R Head of a man First, Top, Beginning Resh [size=+2]ר [/size]R Shin
heb_a_shin.gif
Sh Two front teeth Sharp, Press, Eat, Two Shin [size=+2]ש [/size]Sh, S Taw
heb_a_tav.gif
T Crossed sticks Mark, Sign, Signal,

Upvote 0

Canadian75

Peace-loving Warrior of God
Dec 19, 2004
British Columbia
✟17,334.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
arunma said:
But let's be honest, here. A good number of the things we do aren't found in Scripture either. The charismatic practice of raising one's hands in the air during worship isn't found in Scripture (unless one uses an odd interpretation of Saint Paul's statement "lift up holy hands"). Infant dedication isn't found in Scripture. My church celebrates Advent, Christmas, Holy Week, and Easter. None of those things are found in Scripture, with the exception of Easter. And according to Scripture, even Easter should be celebrated on the Hebrew day of 14 Nisan; it was church tradition that fixed Easter on a specific day according to the solar calendar. For that matter, prayer in any language other than Hebrew or Greek isn't found in Scripture. Greek was the church's official language until Saint Victor the Bishop of Rome (or Pope, for all the Catholics out there) began writing in his native language of Latin.

Baptists might not be Protestants, but the Protestant reformation has had an impact on us. Most of the influential figures in Baptist thought (at least at my church), such as Martin Luther and John Calvin, were Protestants. And chances are, they probably crossed themselves. I do not despise church tradition, which is why I'm not against this practice.

I think we need to remember that sola scriptura doesn't mean that Scripture is the only thing we ever read. It means that Scripture is the only writing that is infallible. Certainly we can base our worship around tradition. The very idea of holding one church service a week, with worship songs and a sermon, come from the tradition of the Jews. Just because something isn't found specifically in Scripture doesn't make it bad. If that were so, we ought to burn every copy of The Purpose Driven Life, which many evangelicals are so fond of. So I'm not sure I can see what anyone would find so objectionable about crossing oneself.

Well put. I couldn't agree more.:thumbsup:

I still say if you want to cross yourself, go ahead. If not, then don't...but there is no need or reason to insist it is somehow a wrong or sinister practice.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
arunma said:
But let's be honest, here. A good number of the things we do aren't found in Scripture either. The charismatic practice of raising one's hands in the air during worship isn't found in Scripture

Raising one's hands is the majority of the time (and should be) God led.I have done that during prayer feeling as if I am reaching out to God. I would do that on my own if never had been seen or "taught". That is God led...crossing one's self is a tradition that is "taught".

arunma said:
Infant dedication isn't found in Scripture.

Amen...nor will practicing it get this child any closer to Christ. Baptism is specifically appointed for those that consciously accept Christ. To do it anyway is a whole 'nother thread.;)

arunma said:
I do not despise church tradition, which is why I'm not against this practice.

Which is why I feel everything we do should be God led...just b/c it is tradition does not make it right. The same reason I would not practice "crossing myself" for the sake of not wanting to be perceived as Catholic. I feel we can all agree that for the most part, this is a Catholic tradition. Because of this reason, I would be deadset against it. For the sake of the rest of the world and what each individual's beliefs are, unless you want to be mistaken for another faith and the beliefs that go with that faith, then I would make sure we are to be led by God in the man made traditions that some "see nothing wrong with". If done openly, they could be a stumbling block, depending on your individual perception of the Catholic church and its' teachings coupled with your own ministry to the rest of the world that watches you.

arunma said:
So I'm not sure I can see what anyone would find so objectionable about crossing oneself.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.