Creationists needed to evaluate a post (Creationists helping atheists)

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟918,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Preface

Several verses come to mind, which I'll add as I write this post.

I frequent Reddit Christian forums. Questions about creation vs evolution come up every day, even multiple times a day. I respond to them regularly, but I try to write a new, unique post every time, so that I'm not repeating myself and I'm learning something new during the writing process. Much of what I'm going to write here is based on my experiences on Reddit, with posters asking questions and me answering them.

This post may be a departure from what you're looking for, but it's my own perspective, based on scripture.

Proof?

Proof of God is what most people are looking for. Some physical, concrete evidence that shows them that God indeed exists. Many want God to show Himself as proof. We, as Christians, know that proof indeed exists.

Romans 1:20-23 KJV For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

This means nothing to an atheist, because they 1) don't believe the Bible is the word of God, 2) don't see proof in creation that God exists, despite the fact that it's readily apparent.

The question to ask is why?

1 Corinthians 2:14-16 KJV But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Proverbs 19:3 KJV The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the Lord.

The answer lies in the heart of the person.

God preserves our free will by isolating us from any possible bias on His part. While His law is placed in our hearts, it's up to us to heed the call, to hear the knock, to seek.

Romans 2:14-16 KJV For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Revelation 3:20 KJV Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Matthew 7:7-8 KJV Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: for every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
The question then is, how do you change a person's heart? By planting seeds.

Matthew 13:3-9 KJV And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow; and when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up: Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them: But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Unbelievers are in various states of heart. Some hearts are hard as a rock. Some have softened somewhat through their own experiences. There is no way for us to know where each person stands. The best thing we can do is plant hearty seeds of truth, so that they can grow. This means picking and choosing the best seeds, so that they will have the best chance of taking root—but you have to remove the rocks and the weeds first. More on that in a minute.

It's also important to recognize when not to throw pearls to swine.

Matthew 7:6 KJV Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Atheist forums, especially, can be a hostile place where they are just waiting with baited breath to tear into a Christian poster.

This is not to say that we shouldn't try, but remember, God leaves some to their own reprobate mind, because they are lost. He even gives them strong delusion in the last days.

Romans 1:28 KJV And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient.

2 Thessalonians 2:11 KJV And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie.
The answer is not in trying to argue proof. The answer is to look at the heart of the matter.
  • Admit that you can't provide proof, even though proof is self-evident.
  • Help them understand that belief has to come first. Faith. As a heart softens, opens to belief and seeks honestly and earnestly, proof is given through the Holy Spirit.
  • Share the Gospel and show love and compassion. Arguments don't soften the heart.
While there is truth in your posts, it's going to fall on deaf ears, because their hearts are hardened and will not hear the truth. It is a change of heart that has to happen and the most powerful thing that can change a person's heart is love.

Once the heart softens (fertile ground), it gives the Holy Spirit a chance to work in a person's life. The delusion is broken and truth is allowed in.

No doubt that rebellion against God - atheist or not is a heart issue just as you point out.

And no doubt Satan "darkens the mind" of those who are perishing 2 Cor 4:4 so that they cannot reason correctly and accept the Gospel.

Still God has the message presented in the most compelling fashion possible.

Now on CF it is not allowed to argue against Christianity (not even atheists are allowed to go that far on any of these CF forums). So they know this is not an atheist free-for-all against all Christians. They therefore are very careful to cultivate partnership with T.E.s (Theistic evolutionists) much the way that our own La Sierra and Walla Walla have done (or are still doing).

So this thread is simply to bring up a common ground topic "no life on planet earth at one time". where we can all agree. Then contrast the atheist "solution" to how rocks turn into a horse vs the Christian solution. And agree at that outset that people will differ.

It is "strategic" in that regard because T.E.'s seldom allow themselves to claim that rocks turn into horses by virtue of the natural properties of rocks.

Upvote 0