Creationist (me) vs. evolutionist (my father)

henrodstone

Jan 9, 2014
✟7,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

Recently me and my father have been having arguments about Creationism Vs Evolution, and I'll admit that I also bought into Evolution until the last six or so months, and my father always seems to antagonize me and my new beliefs, especially when it comes to black people, where I say that everyone is created equally regardless of skin color, my father says that black people evolved from chimpanzees (and the like) and that because they seem to be less educated and more prevalent in committing crimes (his opinion) that's proof that they're still evolving and that the white race will always be superior to the black race. Now, my other problem is that he always seems to challenge me at the most unexpected times and I can never remember anything that I feel would challenge his "theory", and whenever I think I have, he goes off into saying that I've been "recruited by the Jewish mafia" or some rubbish like that, so as you can see, I'm kinda at my wit's end and would appreciate all the help I can get.

God Bless Creationism!

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

Recently me and my father have been having arguments about Creationism Vs Evolution, and I'll admit that I also bought into Evolution until the last six or so months, and my father always seems to antagonize me and my new beliefs, especially when it comes to black people, where I say that everyone is created equally regardless of skin color, my father says that black people evolved from chimpanzees (and the like) and that because they seem to be less educated and more prevalent in committing crimes (his opinion) that's proof that they're still evolving and that the white race will always be superior to the black race. Now, my other problem is that he always seems to challenge me at the most unexpected times and I can never remember anything that I feel would challenge his "theory", and whenever I think I have, he goes off into saying that I've been "recruited by the Jewish mafia" or some rubbish like that, so as you can see, I'm kinda at my wit's end and would appreciate all the help I can get.

God Bless Creationism!

Your dad does not know what he is talking about. Black people did not evolve from chimps. Nobody did; well, except Bonobos. No human, anyway.

Black and white alike shared a common ancestor with chimps, and then we diverged and evolved separately.

And we are ALL still evolving, just like every form of life on the planet.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2014
✟7,611.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Recently me and my father have been having arguments about Creationism Vs Evolution, and I'll admit that I also bought into Evolution until the last six or so months,

SY> I'm always a bit dubious of statements like this (particularly by people who Mysteriously Capitalise Evolution). Could you give a short summary of what evolutionary biology actually says?

and my father always seems to antagonize me and my new beliefs, especially when it comes to black people,

SY> ooo. Now I'm thinking your dad doesn't know much about evolution! Dark skins work better in strong sunlight. Pale ones make vit D synthesis easier in lower levels of sunlight. And that's about all EB has to say on the subject.

where I say that everyone is created equally regardless of skin color, my father says that black people evolved from chimpanzees (and the like) and that because they seem to be less educated and more prevalent in committing crimes (his opinion) that's proof that they're still evolving and that the white race will always be superior to the black race.

SY> dear, dear, dear. We all evolved from chimps. We are genetically all pretty similar. There is no significant intelligence difference between "races" (if these even exist). The human species is still evolving.

Now, my other problem is that he always seems to challenge me at the most unexpected times and I can never remember anything that I feel would challenge his "theory",

SY> he's being a very tactical debater. Take notes if he says something interesting and think about it at your leisure.

and whenever I think I have, he goes off into saying that I've been "recruited by the Jewish mafia" or some rubbish like that, so as you can see, I'm kinda at my wit's end and would appreciate all the help I can get.

SY> you could read up upon evolution and point out he doesn't know what he's talking about!

God Bless Creationism!
> Your dad does not know what he is talking about. Black people did not evolve from chimps. Nobody did; well, except Bonobos. No human, anyway.

I always think statements like this are silly and confusing. We aren't evolved from a modern, contemporary chimp species. ok.

> Black and white alike shared a common ancestor with chimps, and then we diverged and evolved separately.

yes we share a common ancestor with the chimp. And I bet that common ancestor looked a lot more like a chimp than a human (consider the gorilla the next nearest). No black people and white people did not diverge at that time. (I'm not sure if you meant to imply that, but it reads that way). The human race evolved in africa and spread out from there. The genetic diversity of the human species is tiny.

> And we are ALL still evolving, just like every form of life on the planet.

yes

Upvote 0
How far back does the common ancestor goes back ?

If Chimp diverged first from the common ancestor and we later . Then are we not the common ancestor ?

Nope, you're misinterpreting what divergence means. When we diverged from our common ancestor, both the population that would become modern chimpanzees and the population that would become modern human beings experienced equal amounts of time for genetic change to occur and diverge from their ancestral population.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
How far back does the common ancestor goes back ?

5-7 million years is the current consensus.

If Chimp diverged first from the common ancestor and we later . Then are we not the common ancestor ?

Humans and chimps are like 1st cousins. We are equally distant from our common ancestor just as you and your 1st cousins are equally distant from your shared grandparents.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Recently me and my father have been having arguments about Creationism Vs Evolution, and I'll admit that I also bought into Evolution until the last six or so months,

SY> I'm always a bit dubious of statements like this (particularly by people who Mysteriously Capitalise Evolution). Could you give a short summary of what evolutionary biology actually says?

and my father always seems to antagonize me and my new beliefs, especially when it comes to black people,

SY> ooo. Now I'm thinking your dad doesn't know much about evolution! Dark skins work better in strong sunlight. Pale ones make vit D synthesis easier in lower levels of sunlight. And that's about all EB has to say on the subject.

where I say that everyone is created equally regardless of skin color, my father says that black people evolved from chimpanzees (and the like) and that because they seem to be less educated and more prevalent in committing crimes (his opinion) that's proof that they're still evolving and that the white race will always be superior to the black race.

SY> dear, dear, dear. We all evolved from chimps. We are genetically all pretty similar. There is no significant intelligence difference between "races" (if these even exist). The human species is still evolving.

Now, my other problem is that he always seems to challenge me at the most unexpected times and I can never remember anything that I feel would challenge his "theory",

SY> he's being a very tactical debater. Take notes if he says something interesting and think about it at your leisure.

and whenever I think I have, he goes off into saying that I've been "recruited by the Jewish mafia" or some rubbish like that, so as you can see, I'm kinda at my wit's end and would appreciate all the help I can get.

SY> you could read up upon evolution and point out he doesn't know what he's talking about!

God Bless Creationism!
> Your dad does not know what he is talking about. Black people did not evolve from chimps. Nobody did; well, except Bonobos. No human, anyway.

I always think statements like this are silly and confusing. We aren't evolved from a modern, contemporary chimp species. ok.

> Black and white alike shared a common ancestor with chimps, and then we diverged and evolved separately.

yes we share a common ancestor with the chimp. And I bet that common ancestor looked a lot more like a chimp than a human (consider the gorilla the next nearest). No black people and white people did not diverge at that time. (I'm not sure if you meant to imply that, but it reads that way). The human race evolved in africa and spread out from there. The genetic diversity of the human species is tiny.

> And we are ALL still evolving, just like every form of life on the planet.

yes

I meant the human and chimp line diverged, but I see how it was worded poorly.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Hello all,

God Bless Creationism!

My advice to you is that your relationship with your father is much, much more important than being right about biology. I would advise that you just ignore the teasing, and try not to bring the subject up.

But if you want something to actually say, just tell him that violent crime is related to poverty, not skin color. Also, the color of our skin is determined by just one or two genes, so it is hardly a marker for the rest of our genome, or our place in the world. You might as well judge people by their blood type.

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

God Bless Creationism!
Hogwash! This is a fictional tale aimed specifically at creating the impression that ToE is a Nazi philosophy.
This is one of the most disingenuous posts I have ever come across in CF.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

God Bless Creationism!

The ignorance of some people who have not studied the Bible at all.

One Blood chapter 6: Are black people the result of a curse on Ham?

Mark of Cain

The Origin of Race - A biblical explanation of race. "Where did the races come from." by Cooper P Abrams, III

Upvote 0

Mrs_RC

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟22,710.00
Hello all,

God Bless Creationism!
Dear Girl,
Stick with your gut instincts. You are to be applauded!

Black people used to be considered less smart. Because they had no access to education.
Women used to be considered less smart. Because they had no access to education.

Once people have access to education they become more smart!

And I can't speak for you, but if your father is genuinely just opposing anything you say for the sake of it then that's the thing to be dealt with. Call him on it now!

The antagonism you have with your father sounds horrid. And I feel for you that you are in different beliefs with him. That's always a difficult situation. Everything you have said to your father so far is true. It sounds to me like you need a little bit more knowledge under your belt to talk to him the next time?

This is going to be more than one conversation, but firstly you'll need to agree with him that humans evolved from primates.You'll need to do yourself some justice by finding out about the theory of evolution in the next few days. I can help, but I'd like to think that you might be motivated to do some of it by yourself.

If 'Theory' is his go-to word to shut you down then you should remind him that scientific theory (like Einstein) is just the word scientists use for something that is proven until someone comes along and proves it better. The purpose of science is always that it will change its mind if better information comes along.

Bigoted minds are always fixed. You are showing that yours can change.

XXX

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

God Bless Creationism!

Well, let me say this as bluntly and honestly as possible:

Your father, as you have portrayed him, is a blithering racist, and that's an issue completely unrelated to Creation/Evolution. Even if you were to somehow turn him towards a Biblical creationist standpoint, he would most likely say that God created black people to be inferior -- probably bringing up "The Curse of Ham," as his justification.

Long story short, you can't challenge his "theory" because it's not a theory -- it's a rationalization for his racism. Sorry to tell you, but it's a lost cause.

Upvote 0

Mrs_RC

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟22,710.00
It sounds like you lack credence in yourself to challenge your father. Your post is very emotive and you 'feel' that your father is wrong. Do you have the knowledge and/or the courage to challenge him?

If you need further knowledge, then there's lots I can help you with. I can also help you with the courage, but that's more indirect!

In the first instance, the first question must be, does your father acknoweldge any sort of science? that would be my starting point for trying to underpin your talks with him, without making him feel undermined.

With love, Mrs RC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

God Bless Creationism!

Congratulations on finding the truth of creation and sticking to it. Many in this world will try to convince you otherwise. The lie of evolution is woven throughout the fabric of this world. It is taught at all levels of education. It is controlled by the elite of science and accredited people of any discipline run the risk of being discredited, mocked and ruined if they present anything that goes against the TOE. Any evidence found that goes against the TOE is hidden, destroyed, explained away or bent to fit their model.

It is difficult and many times impossible for people to believe that there is a supreme power, that science cannot explain everything, that science can be wrong, that the things written in the Bible are all true.

Satan has spawned this whole lie in order to divert people from the truth and ultimately away from the God that created us.

So, chin up. You have the truth now. However, you will never argue someone into belief.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Bertrand Russell said:
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence

Bertrand Russell must not have read these scriptures:

Acts 16:31New King James Version (NKJV)
31 So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Mark 16:16New King James Version (NKJV)
16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Donald Morgan said:
Jesus' last words on the cross, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" hardly seem like the words of a man who planned it that way. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure there is something wrong here.

Donald Morgan must not have known that this was the plan. Christ had to be forsaken by the father in order to suffer the full punishment for the sin of the world. His lamenting is a sign to everyone that being forsaken is a terrible fate.

James Morrow said:
"There are no atheists in foxholes" isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes

It's not an argument about anything. It's a simple fact that when you are face to face with impending death.... you will cry out to God. Therefore, men in fox holes will look to God for protection and deliverance.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Threadomancy-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Satan has spawned this whole lie in order to divert people from the truth and ultimately away from the God that created us.
I'm convinced that in addition to this, Satan is ulimately responsible for much of the heinous things that are going on in this world.

Upvote 0