• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Creationism/Creation Science... approved by Arkansas house

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by BobRyan, May 2, 2021.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+25,860
    Agnostic
    Single
    Are plants self-aware?
    Is bread mold?

Every cell in your body is "alive," but none of them are self aware... or are they?
    Truly you would be Legion, for you would be many... trillions, in fact.

2. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,748
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    I said this would be a good place to start. We're just getting started. As you have not expressed the chemical reaction that would explain self awareness; we're getting off to a very slow start.

As I was writing that; I had predicted plants might be used to diminish the validity of the question.

Can you explain the chemical reaction that takes place to make predictions of the future?

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  3. MIDutch

MIDutch Well-Known Member

+3,352
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    So you are claiming that scientists do not have eyes with which to examine, study, measure, compare, etc. the fossil evidence that's right in front of them. Or are unable to see the changes that occur in living species because of environmental pressures occurring in real time. Or are unable to study the genetics of living species and how they are genetically related to but different from each other.

Odd, then that you demand that everyone accept the occurence of events that no one has ever seen evidence of and are only found in a religious book.

4. MIDutch

MIDutch Well-Known Member

+3,352
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    So you are admitting that creationism is therefore not science since none of it has ever been observed.

5. TLK Valentine

+25,860
    Agnostic
    Single
    As self-awareness is not a requirement for life, we're starting off in the wrong direction.

Perhaps I should be asking if you consider plants to be "life."

Well, it's definitely not 6CO2 + 6H2O —> C6H12O6 + 6O2... because I've yet to see a tree predict the future.

6. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

+5,832
    Atheist
    Married
    No one’s has answered me and it’s possibly the most pertinent questions thus far (not to blow my own trumpet)..

Specifically what scientific evidence supports creationism? What research do it’s supporters find most compelling? You need to teach something in a science class, what would such a curriculum include?

If creationists can’t answer these questions they have no right supporting the teaching of creationism outside of the RE class. The silence is telling though, creationism is in no way scientific... and other than badmouthing science that contradicts it, it offers exactly nothing outside of the religious groups who support it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • List
  7. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,042
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    You can observe evidence from the past.

Thats what observable means in this context. It doesnt mean you have to watch the actual event occur.

For instance, what do scientists make of various large craters on the earths surface? The scientific understanding is that many of them are from ancient cosmic collisions. Is that all bogus because no one was there to see it happen?

8. HARK!

+3,748
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    As self awareness is a facet of life; I think that it's an awesome place to start. Thinking is a facet of life too.

I do.

So in other words you don't know that the ability to predict the future is a chemical reaction?

I'll say that it's not, until it can be demonstrated that it is.

9. Whyayeman

Whyayeman Well-Known Member

+655
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    There is direct evidence from observation. Lots of it.

As an example, Richard Lenski's work on bacteria, cited above, has demonstrated evolution in the laboratory. He began with cultures of E. coli and ended up 20 years later with cultures of a new bacterium, directly descended from E. coli but demonstrably a different creature.

If direct evidence were required in science that would put the theory of creationism firmly in its place as unscientific. It cannot by Hark!'s definition be an alternative to (proper) science.

10. TLK Valentine

+25,860
    Agnostic
    Single
    The plants disagree -- or at least they would, if they were capable of self-awareness and thinking.

And yet you won't find the chemical reaction for self-awareness in them...

And so long as the ability to predict the future is not a requirement for life (and it's not; just ask the mold), I'll say I don't care.

So what is life, again?

11. Whyayeman

+655
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    You should ask a humanist.

(I think such a question is out of place here.)

12. HARK!

+3,748
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Craters are observable, repeatable, and testable. I have seen no evidence that macroevolution meets these criteria.

13. HARK!

+3,748
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    I find it to be perfectly in place; as this belief system is a foundation of what is being taught in some of our public schools.

14. HARK!

+3,748
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    I try to avoid presenting logical arguments to plants.

15. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,042
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    No one has ever observed the formation of one of these craters. Yet we all readily admit scientific explanations of them. Why? Because we have observable evidence from the past.

16. Whyayeman

+655
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    I didn't know this. In what part of the curriculum is humanism taught? (Our school system is more different from yours than I had appreciated.)

17. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+12,183
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    There is observation and direct observation - not necessarily the same thing. For instance, one cannot see a glacier's movement - it is way too slow - but that doesn't mean we can't observe the evidence of its movement. We draw conclusions of the movement even though we cannot see it in real time.
    Except in astronomy, what we see is the past. In our own present, we see light and events from the past.

In evolution, we see evidence of what has passed and we can draw conclusions as to what is currently happening.

18. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,042
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    In astronomy we only see light now. Its pure (and valid) reasoning that gets us to conclude its picture of past events.

19. HARK!

+3,748
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    [​IMG]

On 15 September 2007, a chondritic meteor crashed near the village of Carancas in southeastern Peru near Lake Titicaca, leaving a water-filled hole and spewing gases across the surrounding area. Many residents became ill, apparently from the noxious gases shortly after the impact.

Impact event - Wikipedia

20. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,042
    United States
    Seeker
    Single