creation "ex potentia infinitus et ordinatio"

wisaak

Aug 7, 2010
✟7,626.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To add to my last post where I explained that we have to look elsewhere to discover how God created (bara), because Gen. 1 is simply an overview of what God did, not an explanation of how. So, for instance Gen. 1:3 says, "And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light." Earlier I suggested that energy (or God-stuff) came out of God's mouth - and that is the source of what the light was made of. (I am not saying light or anything else physical is God-stuff, but that God used some of His stuff, converting it into something physical) However, I now have a better, more Biblical answer. To find more detail of how God created, we should go to John 1:3. There we see that when God said, "Let there be light," it was produced through the Word. Verse 4 is interesting because it talks about the "life" in the Word and the "light". I am not sure how to put that all together, but there could be something about the life of the Word was used to create light. Now is the "Word" referring to God speaking words or to the Son of God, who is God, creating the universe? Col 1:16 makes it clear.
Then Heb. 1:10 says that "the heavens are the work of your hands." referring to the Son of God. Now, for sure we see that it was more than just God speaking some words, the Son of God used His hands.
You might say that is just speaking figuratively, but that doesn't help give credence to the ex nihilo argument.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem with creation ex nihilo is that it contradicts a very basic
logic of nothing comes from nothing "ex nihilo nihil fit."

What you fail to notice is that matter or existence itself violates
the rule of something from nothing.

So this demands that there be some other rule out there to explain
why matter came-to-be.

The missing circumstances are elaborated in scripture, before time
began, there was God. So this before and after business is a result
of something God did, which was "Create" out of his mind or self.
And because "God is Spirit" this would seem to us to be out-of-nothing.

Upvote 0