Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That may be your own personal experience. But when you get to know other former addicts, you may find they are not believers like you.
In one church I attended in the 1970s, one of the elders' wives was a smoker, and came under a lot of criticism about it. She ignored them. I found her to be a godly, hospitable person who had better qualities than many of the other wives who criticised her. The verse that comes to mind is, "It is not what goes into a person, but what comes out in the form of blasphemies, cursing, envies, jealousies, etc." (my paraphrase). C.S. Lewis smoked a pipe, and no one worried about the quality of his faith in Christ.

But at some stage, the worry of what smoking can do to shorten one's life becomes apparent, and the person then starts seeking God to set them free from the habit. With a chronic addict, only Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit can set him free.

• Winner
Reactions: ElenaMaria_9
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In one church I attended in the 1970s, one of the elders' wives was a smoker, and came under a lot of criticism about it. She ignored them. I found her to be a godly, hospitable person who had better qualities than many of the other wives who criticised her. The verse that comes to mind is, "It is not what goes into a person, but what comes out in the form of blasphemies, cursing, envies, jealousies, etc." (my paraphrase). C.S. Lewis smoked a pipe, and no one worried about the quality of his faith in Christ.

But at some stage, the worry of what smoking can do to shorten one's life becomes apparent, and the person then starts seeking God to set them free from the habit. With a chronic addict, only Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit can set him free.

Christians would all be wealthy people if we had the only cure for addicts in the world and 12 step programs didn't work for non-believers. Check the Rehab centers and see if they are looking for believers to increase their revenue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Christians would all be wealthy people if we had the only cure for addicts in the world and 12 step programs didn't work for non-believers. Check the Rehab centers and see if they are looking for believers to increase their revenue.
The Divine Consciousness Version of the Bible says, "If Christ makes you free, then attending a 12 step programme in faith will make you free indeed!"

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Divine Consciousness Version of the Bible says, "If Christ makes you free, then attending a 12 step programme in faith will make you free indeed!"
Faith and belief is slowly becoming part of secular conversations regarding any type of achievement or change as the research grows more mature.

The God Gene: How Faith is Hardwired Into Our Genes - Nature
www.nature.com › nature genetics › book reviews

by MA Goldman · 2004 — The God Gene: How Faith is Hardwired Into Our Genes . Geneticists are the first to admit that genes don't explain everything, and that the most important features of human behavior represent a complex interplay among many genes and the environment.

Upvote 0