Couple of questions: head coverings and beard shaving?

TatiG

Nov 17, 2021
Florida
✟25,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello all!

I have a few questions about some scripture. I have highlighted my questions in green to make it much easier to navigate :sweatsmile:

>>> Women and head coverings

4 A man dishonors his head if he covers his head while praying or prophesying. 5 But a woman dishonors her head if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, for this is the same as shaving her head. 6 Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair! But since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, she should wear a covering. 7 A man should not wear anything on his head when worshiping, for man is made in God’s image and reflects God’s glory. And woman reflects man’s glory.
-1 Corinthians 11:4-7

I have read in research I have done that this has changed throughout the centuries. I also worry however that I may not be following rules I was intended to follow.

So my question is: Do Christian women need to wear head coverings when praying?

>>> Men trimming/shaving their side burns and beards

27 “Do not trim off the hair on your temples or trim your beards.
-Leviticus 19:27

This is another question of mine, does this mean men must grow their beards out? is it a sin for them to shave? And if they aren't allowed to shave, are they allowed to at least trim it shorter?

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello all!

I have a few questions about some scripture. I have highlighted my questions in green to make it much easier to navigate :sweatsmile:

4 A man dishonors his head if he covers his head while praying or prophesying. 5 But a woman dishonors her head if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, for this is the same as shaving her head. 6 Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair! But since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, she should wear a covering. 7 A man should not wear anything on his head when worshiping, for man is made in God’s image and reflects God’s glory. And woman reflects man’s glory.

I have read in research I have done that this has changed throughout the centuries. I also worry however that I may not be following rules I was intended to follow.

This is another question of mine, does this mean men must grow their beards out? is it a sin for them to shave? And if they aren't allowed to shave, are they allowed to at least trim it shorter?

Be careful about getting into too much legalism...you'll end up in a synagogue and then wonder why you are there :p

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 11:15
But if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

1 Corinthians 11:7
For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.

Seems we are not to make an issue out of it.

Doesn't present itself to be a sin issue ... kindred to what we eat .... what we eat is a health message not a sin message.

I'm not convicted of it.

Reactions: TatiG
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

OK, I will take the men's question.

The answer is simple - Leviticus is long gone, so nothing of it applies to any man today. So we are free to trim our beards in any style we want. :)

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi TatiC. First, I see that you are new here, so before anything else, welcome to CF! I hope you will find your time here edifying.

Without getting too much into specifics, since I don't know what kind of Christian you are or what kind of community you are involved in, these are really pastoral questions -- i.e., to be answered by the shepherds of the flock that you find yourself in. And indeed when it comes to things like this, there are different standards in different places and among different peoples. In my own Coptic Orthodox (Egyptian) Church tradition, for instance, it is required that women cover their heads while in church, while men do not cover except for the priest, who will wear different forms of coverings depending on, e.g., if they are monastics or not (both monks and nuns wear a kind of hood that is called a qalansowa in Arabic). A regular priest will wear a priestly mitre, which is different both from the Roman Catholic headcovering that has the same name in English (it is called a taj in Arabic, or tag in Egyptian dialect), and different from the form worn by bishops, which is round and more like a crown (which is what taj/tag means in Arabic).

Regarding the beard, too, there are differences between the priest or monk and the layperson. I think it is more of a cultural thing than anything, but from what I've noticed it is not the norm for Coptic Orthodox men to have beards unless they are priests or monks, whereas a priest or a monk without a beard will likely not be accepted unless he is very young or from an ethnic background that does not easily grow facial hair.

thumbRNS-EGYPT-COPTS061812a.jpg

Fr. Joseph Boules of St. Mary and St. Verena Coptic Orthodox Church of Anaheim, California in typical vestments for the priest celebrating liturgy

Oriental-and-Byzantine-Orthodox-preists.jpg

A group of Coptic Orthodox monks visiting their Byzantine (Eastern Orthodox) equivalents on Mt. Athos in Greece. (The headcovering without the crosses is Byzantine/Eastern Orthodox headgear.)

5f3f2659cf8db.image.jpg

Coptic Orthodox laywomen and girls drink from small cups of water following the reception of communion. (We do this to make sure that the holy body and blood are fully digested.)

mother antonia mother nardin australia.jpg

Mother Antonia and Mother Nardin of Archangel Michael Coptic Orthodox Monastery for Nuns in Melbourne, Australia

So as you can see there are a lot of circumstances in which a person may or may not cover, depending on who they are and what form of Christianity they follow. And most well-established traditions have had their own guidelines regarding these things for centuries by now. This is why it is best answered by the people in your own community.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

In verse 15 of that same passage, long hair is referred to as a covering, so that may count. If it doesn't, a cap would count IMO.

Acts 15 shortens the list of OT commands that non-Jewish Christians are to obey. If it didn't make the list in Acts 15, and if the NT doesn't forbid it elsewhere, then we have that freedom. It is also useful to look at it from a Jewish perspective to see:
1) If they consider it required of the Gentiles or not, and why
2) How they as Jews are to follow it, and why they follow it the way they do
Interesting fact when using these principles: Jews don't consider Gentiles to be beholden to that one, but they do consider them beholden to the prohibitions in Leviticus 18, because Leviticus 18:24-28 says that God judged the Canaanites for violating these laws, while Leviticus 19 doesn't have a similar indication. Jewish teaching on the laws of God is somewhat layered in that they believe there are certain commands for everyone, and more laws for them because they are the chosen people. There are other commands in Leviticus 19 that Gentiles need to obey too, but not all of them; those were given to the world before Moses, and can be derived from Genesis, as well as Exodus 1-2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn't matter. As a Christian you're not under the law nor are you living in Corinth 2,000 years ago. The important things are to love God and love your neighbor. As long as you're not doing anything that offends others I wouldn't be worried about it.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all!

Most folks miss the meaning intended...

Consider this verse. (NASB)

1 Corinthians 11:10
Therefore the woman should have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

Clearly the head covering in the presiding culture indicated the woman was in right relationship to her elders or spouse. In fact the reference to angels is usually ignored because few seem to realise that the angels have a mandate to minister when one is rightly related to authority.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello all!

I was browsing the context of the corinthians verse
14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

In new testament fashion, creation trumps the law ... furthermore, the covering stretching back before clothing existed ... is about hair length.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟153,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all!

So no praying in the shower? No praying for any unfortunate enough to have a boat capsize.

Paul also states,

“Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering. But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.”
It's funny, Paul also teaches;
Romans, 8:7
And so people become enemies of God when they are controlled by their human nature; for they do not obey God's law, and in fact they cannot obey it. Those who obey their human nature cannot please God. But you do not live as your human nature tells you to; instead, you live as the Spirit tells you to — if, in fact, God's Spirit lives in you.

Gotta love it. That was Paul’s preference, not Gods.

If anyone wants to argue about this, “We have no such custom.

1 Sam, 16:7

But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
2 Cor, 10:7

"You are looking at things as they are outwardly. If anyone is confident in himself that he is Christ’s, have him consider this again within himself, that just as he is Christ’s, so too are we."

I think the better question is why do people dress or decide to fix or wear their hair in certain ways?

To draw attention to themselves, or the God, who looks at the heart. It’s intent and… how does it impact others when we dress in some ways that may be, in a weaker brother/sisters opinion to sexy, revealing or…

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So no praying in the shower? No praying for any unfortunate enough to have a boat capsize.
The context of 1 Corinthians 11 is in the assembly of believers. I doubt it was God's intention to forbid a woman from praying in the shower, or if caught by surprise on a boat, or to forbid a man on the moon from praying.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟153,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The context of 1 Corinthians 11 is in the assembly of believers. I doubt it was God's intention to forbid a woman from praying in the shower, or if caught by surprise on a boat, or to forbid a man on the moon from praying.
As do I. And this is in the context of believers also. The world, well they can do as they please.
We agree.

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Clearly the head covering in the presiding culture indicated the woman was in right relationship to her elders or spouse. In fact the reference to angels is usually ignored because few seem to realise that the angels have a mandate to minister when one is rightly related to authority.

Ah it is actually mentioning the sons of God aka angels in early Genesis attractive, because a woman's hair, long hair was considered very erotic in ancient cultures and some even believed it aided fertility according to some erroneous beliefs in how biology worked.

Genesis 6:2-3

“That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.” And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello all!

Do Christian women need to wear head coverings when praying?

No. I believe 1 Corinthians 11:3-16 is referring to the length of a women’s hair while praying, and prophesying, and it is not referring to her wearing cloth like head coverings. Verses 5-6, and Verses 14-15 gives us the defined interpretation of the meaning behind the head uncovered or head covered. Verses 5-6 talks about the head being shorn (hair cut short) and the head being shaven. Verses 14-15 talks about long hair. In fact, verse 15 says, “for her hair is given her for a covering.” So this is the head covering. It is her long hair. A head uncovered means… short hair.

1 Corinthians 11:3 says,
“But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.”

Here we see the authority is the main theme being established here in relation to this upcoming topic involving hair length for believers in Jesus Christ. Christ is the authority head over every man, and the authority head over every woman is the man, and the authority over Christ (the Eternal Word) is God the Father.​

1 Corinthians 11:4 says,
“Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.”

We must not forget to keep in context that the discussion of a believer’s length of hair involves the topic of praying and prophesying. This is the context we must always keep in mind while reading this portion of Scripture. So a man who prays with long hair hanging down over his face (or covering his whole head) dishonors his authority or head in Christ. Many will say that Samson had long hair and thus he could not have prayed to God. But if Samson tied back his hair whereby his long hair did not cover his head and or his face entirely, he could pray to God without dishonoring his head.​

1 Corinthians 11:5 says,
“But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.”

This is saying that every believing woman who prays or prophecies without her head covered by having long hair (i.e. she has short hair like a man) she dishonors her head and face, for it would be better if she had a shaven head (sarcasm, or irony). Surely Paul is not truly saying it is better for the woman to have her head shaven. He is speaking sarcastically here. For many know that a woman who shaves her head, it is a shame unto her. Granted, in life there are exceptions to the rules on things like a cancer patient, etc.;
1 Corinthians 11:6 says,
“For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.”

Paul says here in verse 6 that it is a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven. We see Job in Job 1:20 shave his head when he lost his children and his property. This could be indicative that Job may have felt shameful over his life because of the bad that happened to him. For most likely he was feeling great pain over his great loss. Anyways, Paul is saying here that if a woman be not covered (with long hair), let her be shorn (cut with short super short hair). But Paul says if it be a shame for the woman to be shorn (to have short hair) or shaven, then let her be covered with her long hair.​

1 Corinthians 11:7 says,
“For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.”

So a man ought not to cover his head (WHILE PRAYING or PROPHESYING). So Samson could have prayed with his hair tied up. Samuel could have prophesied with his hair tied up. But we are under a New Covenant with new commands, as well. Christians are not under any Nazarite vows found in the 613 Laws of Moses given to Israel. For Paul here is saying that a man ought not to cover his head with long hair for man is made in the glory of and image of God. For if man was made in God’s image, he should not try to hide it with having long hair covering up his face and trying to hide it. But the woman has long hair because she is the glory of the man.
1 Corinthians 11:8 says,
“For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. ”

For the woman was created out of man in that God took one rib from man and made the woman. So the woman is a part of the man. For Adam said, “This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” (Genesis 2:23).​

1 Corinthians 11:9 says,
“Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.”

For the animals did not offer Adam in being a sufficient partner. Only Eve could be his true compliment or completion in being one flesh.​

1 Corinthians 11:10 says,
“For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.”

There are several potential interpretations behind this mysterious verse.

Possible Interpretation #1.

1 Corinthians 11:10 - Because of this, (woman having being shaped in view of man's vulnerability - See note below), it is a necessary obligation for the woman to have an authority over her own head, over herself, just as it is necessary even for the angels to be held accountable, who betrayed mankind, having shamed themselves, betraying the vulnerability of the ones they were sent to protect.

Note: Vulnerability - In the garden, God recognized Adam's need, declaring: "it is not good for man to be alone ..."

Possible Interpretation #2.

If woman did not respect God’s authority by creating her to be the glory of the man by her cutting her hair short, the angels could potentially not fight as hard to either answer her prayer, or to protect her when she prays. For it took a long time for the angel to get to Daniel (with him fighting other forces) as a part of him answering Daniel’s prayer.

For Daniel 10:12-14 says,
“Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia. Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.”
1 Corinthians 11:11 says,
“Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.”

This verse reminds me of Ephesians 5:28-29. For Ephesians 5:28-29 says, “So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:”​

1 Corinthians 11:12 says,
“For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.”

I like how the NLT says this verse (Which helps to clarify what the KJV is saying).
“For although the first woman came from man, every other man was born from a woman, and everything comes from God.” (1 Corinthians 11:12) (NLT).

“For Adam was first formed, then Eve.” (1 Timothy 2:13).

So we see the flow of authority here and the origin of things.
So the woman wearing long hair shows her natural order of things in that she is of the glory of the man (in that she was taken out of Adam), and their union would propagate their offspring that would fill the Earth. But of course God is the One who ultimately formed all life to begin with.​

1 Corinthians 11:13 says,
“Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?”

Paul asks the question is it comely (fitting or appropriate) that a woman pray unto God uncovered (i.e. not covered with her long hair)? Paul’s answer is implied as a… “no,” because of the answer gives us in the next verse.​

1 Corinthians 11:14 says,
“Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?”

This is in reference to man in general and not those who have taken a Nazarite vow under the 613 Old Testament Laws given to Israel that does not apply to the New Covenant believers in Jesus Christ. For Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. So by nature, we know that if a man has long hair, it is a shame unto him. To see a man with long hair on the street in ripped clothes could make us think he is a poor man in need of help. A man with long hair like in a rock band shows a form of rebellion against the natural order of things. For if a man showed up at your door in long hair and tattoos, would you feel comfortable in answering the door? What if it was a clean cut shaven man with short hair in a business suit? Would you not be more welcoming of the business man? Sure you would because the man is in proper authority. Can you imagine a police officer with a shaggy super large Afro? Again, the respect would not be there if such were the case. Granted, we are not to judge by outward appearances, but God does want us to represent His kingdom properly and hair length is involved in that.​

1 Corinthians 11:15 says,
“But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.”

The man does not have long hair (i.e. a covering) because he is to shine forth the glory of the image of God. The woman is given her long hair as a glory to her. For the woman is the glory of the man (See: 1 Corinthians 11:7).​

1 Corinthians 11:16 says,
“But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.”

The wording here in the King James is archaic (not inaccurate by any means); But if the reader is not careful to read other translations, etc. the KJV could lead the reader to falsely think that this instruction is optional and we do need to enforce such a teaching in the church involving hair length. But the NLT (New Living Translation) helps to clarify a little better what the KJV is saying here.

1 Corinthians 11:16 NLT says,
“But if anyone wants to argue about this, I simply say that we have no other custom than this, and neither do God’s other churches.”

The King James is saying that if any man is in strong disagreement with what he said on the matter of length of hair, we have no such custom that would agree with this contentious individual, neither the churches of God. For even nature itself teaches that it is a shame for a man to have long hair (1 Corinthians 11:14).

Anyways, I hope this answer helps, and may the Lord bless you greatly.

Sincerely,

~ BL. Highlighter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TatiG

Nov 17, 2021
Florida
✟25,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Do Christian women need to wear head coverings when praying?

No. I believe 1 Corinthians 11:3-16 is referring to the length of a women’s hair while praying, and prophesying, and it is not referring to her wearing cloth like head coverings. Verses 5-6, and Verses 14-15 gives us the defined interpretation of the meaning behind the head uncovered or head covered. Verses 5-6 talks about the head being shorn (hair cut short) and the head being shaven. Verses 14-15 talks about long hair. In fact, verse 15 says, “for her hair is given her for a covering.” So this is the head covering. It is her long hair. A head uncovered means… short hair.

1 Corinthians 11:3 says,
“But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.”

Here we see the authority is the main theme being established here in relation to this upcoming topic involving hair length for believers in Jesus Christ. Christ is the authority head over every man, and the authority head over every woman is the man, and the authority over Christ (the Eternal Word) is God the Father.​

1 Corinthians 11:4 says,
“Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.”

We must not forget to keep in context that the discussion of a believer’s length of hair involves the topic of praying and prophesying. This is the context we must always keep in mind while reading this portion of Scripture. So a man who prays with long hair hanging down over his face (or covering his whole head) dishonors his authority or head in Christ. Many will say that Samson had long hair and thus he could not have prayed to God. But if Samson tied back his hair whereby his long hair did not cover his head and or his face entirely, he could pray to God without dishonoring his head.​

1 Corinthians 11:5 says,
“But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.”

This is saying that every believing woman who prays or prophecies without her head covered by having long hair (i.e. she has short hair like a man) she dishonors her head and face, for it would be better if she had a shaven head (sarcasm, or irony). Surely Paul is not truly saying it is better for the woman to have her head shaven. He is speaking sarcastically here. For many know that a woman who shaves her head, it is a shame unto her. Granted, in life there are exceptions to the rules on things like a cancer patient, etc.;
1 Corinthians 11:6 says,
“For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.”

Paul says here in verse 6 that it is a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven. We see Job in Job 1:20 shave his head when he lost his children and his property. This could be indicative that Job may have felt shameful over his life because of the bad that happened to him. For most likely he was feeling great pain over his great loss. Anyways, Paul is saying here that if a woman be not covered (with long hair), let her be shorn (cut with short super short hair). But Paul says if it be a shame for the woman to be shorn (to have short hair) or shaven, then let her be covered with her long hair.​

1 Corinthians 11:7 says,
“For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.”

So a man ought not to cover his head (WHILE PRAYING or PROPHESYING). So Samson could have prayed with his hair tied up. Samuel could have prophesied with his hair tied up. But we are under a New Covenant with new commands, as well. Christians are not under any Nazarite vows found in the 613 Laws of Moses given to Israel. For Paul here is saying that a man ought not to cover his head with long hair for man is made in the glory of and image of God. For if man was made in God’s image, he should not try to hide it with having long hair covering up his face and trying to hide it. But the woman has long hair because she is the glory of the man.
1 Corinthians 11:8 says,
“For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. ”

For the woman was created out of man in that God took one rib from man and made the woman. So the woman is a part of the man. For Adam said, “This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” (Genesis 2:23).​

1 Corinthians 11:9 says,
“Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.”

For the animals did not offer Adam in being a sufficient partner. Only Eve could be his true compliment or completion in being one flesh.

1 Corinthians 11:10 says,
“For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.”

There are several potential interpretations behind this mysterious verse.

Possible Interpretation #1.

1 Corinthians 11:10 - Because of this, (woman having being shaped in view of man's vulnerability - See note below), it is a necessary obligation for the woman to have an authority over her own head, over herself, just as it is necessary even for the angels to be held accountable, who betrayed mankind, having shamed themselves, betraying the vulnerability of the ones they were sent to protect.

Note: Vulnerability - In the garden, God recognized Adam's need, declaring: "it is not good for man to be alone ..."

Possible Interpretation #2.

If woman did not respect God’s authority by creating her to be the glory of the man by her cutting her hair short, the angels could potentially not fight as hard to either answer her prayer, or to protect her when she prays. For it took a long time for the angel to get to Daniel (with him fighting other forces) as a part of him answering Daniel’s prayer.

For Daniel 10:12-14 says,
“Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia. Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.”
1 Corinthians 11:11 says,
“Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.”

This verse reminds me of Ephesians 5:28-29. For Ephesians 5:28-29 says, “So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:”​

1 Corinthians 11:12 says,
“For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.”

I like how the NLT says this verse (Which helps to clarify what the KJV is saying).
“For although the first woman came from man, every other man was born from a woman, and everything comes from God.” (1 Corinthians 11:12) (NLT).

“For Adam was first formed, then Eve.” (1 Timothy 2:13).

So we see the flow of authority here and origin of things.
So the woman wearing long hair shows her natural order of things in that she is of the glory of the man (in that she was taken out of Adam), and their union would propagate their offspring that would fill the Earth. But of course God is the One who ultimately formed all life to begin with.​

1 Corinthians 11:13 says,
“Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?”

Paul asks the question is it comely (fitting or appropriate) that a woman pray unto God uncovered (i.e. not covered with her long hair)? Paul’s answer is implied as a… “no,” because of the answer gives us in the next verse.​

1 Corinthians 11:14 says,
“Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?”

This is in reference to man in general and not those who have taken a Nazarite vow under the 613 Old Testament Laws given to Israel that does not apply to the New Covenant believers in Jesus Christ. For Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. So by nature, we know that if a man has long hair, it is a shame unto him. To see a man with long hair on the street in ripped clothes could make us think he is a poor man in need of help. A man with long hair like in a rock band shows a form of rebellion against the natural order of things. For if a man showed up at your door in long hair and tattoos, would you feel comfortable in answering the door? What if it was a cleaning cut shaven man with short hair in a business suit? Would you not be more welcoming of the business man? Sure you would because the man is in proper authority. Can you imagine a police officer with a shaggy super large Afro? Again, the respect would not be there if such were the case. Granted, we are not to judge by outward appearances, but God does want us to represent His kingdom properly and hair length is involved in that.​

1 Corinthians 11:15 says,
“But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.”

The man does not have long hair (i.e. a covering) because he is to shine forth the glory of the image of God. The woman is given her long hair as a glory to her. For the woman is the glory of the man (See: 1 Corinthians 11:7).​

“But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.”

The wording here in the King James is archaic (not in accurate by any means). But if the reader is not careful to read other translations, etc. the KJV could lead the reader to falsely think that this instruction is optional and we do need to enforce such a teaching in the church involving hair length. But the NLT (New Living Translation) helps to clarify a little better what the KJV is saying here.

1 Corinthians 11:16 NLT says,
“But if anyone wants to argue about this, I simply say that we have no other custom than this, and neither do God’s other churches.”

The King James is saying that if any man is in strong disagreement with what he said on the matter of length of hair, we have no such custom that would agree with this contentious individual, neither the churches of God. For even nature itself teaches that it is a shame for a man to have long hair (1 Corinthians 11:14).

Anyways, I hope this answer helps, and may the Lord bless you greatly.

Sincerely,

~ BL. Highlighter.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this, thank you so very much.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟153,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But G1161 if any man G1536 seem G1380 to be G1511 contentious, G5380 we G2249 have G2192 no G3756 such G5108 custom, G4914 neither G3761 the churches G1577 of God. G2316
The KJV translates Strong's G5108 in the following manner: such (39x), such thing (11x), such an one (8x), like (1x), such a man (1x), such a fellow (1x).
Other is not to be found here.
outline of Biblical Usage [?]

1. such as this, of this kind or sort
  2. Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
    τοιοῦτος toioûtos, toy-oo'-tos; (including the other inflections); from G5104 and G3778; truly this, i.e. of this sort (to denote character or individuality):—like, such (an one).
Toss out the others versions, the word means such.
And, nature is not what we follow.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Does Leviticus 19:27 mean men must grow their beards out? Is it a sin for men to shave? And if they are allowed to shave, are they allowed to at least trim it shorter?

Well, I believe only the moral laws (like do not murder, steal, commit adultery, etc.) have carried over into the New Covenant, and not any of the Laws that are exclusive to Israel that are more ceremonial (like the Saturday Sabbath, dietary laws, animal sacrifices, holy days, etc.). Now, tattoos are wrong because they are a health concern, and it is like putting graffiti on the temple of God (i.e. our bodies, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit). But the rounding of the beards was something for the Israelite. Such a command was given to the Israelite nation and not to any of the Gentile churches.

Check out this thread here to learn more.

The Law of Moses is no more, but that does not mean the New Covenant is without many commands.

In other words, Leviticus 19:27 command on a man’s beard does not apply to the New Covenant believer (seeing it is more ceremonial in nature in distinguishing the Israelite from the pagan nations). However, Christians are under a New Covenant with New Commands. While certain laws have been carried over into the New Testament (or New Covenant), believers are not under the Old Law as a whole or contract. For the Law has changed (Hebrews 7:12).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this, thank you so very much.

You are most welcome.
May the Lord Jesus get all the glory for any good done in my life.

May God bless you and your family.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all!

YES. As women we need to cover our heads. WHY?
Because the LORD says so. We cannot believe some parts of the bible and not believe others. The bible teaches us how to glorify and honour God.
1 Corinthians 11:5-6 "But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head."
God revealed to me that women actually look Naked in heaven without hair on their head because the head represents heaven.
What Leviticus 19:27 means is that Men must not trim off the hair or beards to honour the dead.
May God Bless You

Upvote 0