Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm looking for guidance on starting a nonprofit 501c3.

The purpose of this organization revolves around the development and management of a particular technology.

I'm aware that fundraising is likely going to be the greatest time consumer, especially initially.
The first fundraising objective is gathering enough funding to pay the developer to work on the technology full time.

Right now I'm shopping for board members - faithful believers specifically.
Because of how much potrential for misuse this tech has, I need people I can trust who share a sound grounding in Scripture.
I've got 1 volunteer at the moment and have leads on a couple more.
Texas requires 3 members.
I'm not sure if I can be one of the members or not as the founder and developer.
My understanding is that the board members cannot be compensated just for serving on the board but they CAN be compensated as employees if they fill another role as an employee.
At least I think that's what I've been reading.

I'm open to any and all advice, even "better to ask over in X area".
I'm particularly interested in fundraising advice: the sooner I gather enough funding for full time pay level, the sooner I can be full time on the work.

I'm aware that the nonprof can produce and sell products for fundraising.
I don't have any wonderful ideas for physical products but I have thought about building and distributing some games that could solicit donations (or selling if the game were good enough) by attracting players who might take an interest.

In advance, Thank-you.

Last edited: