Could Adam and Eve talk to Animals like we can talk to each other?

n2thelight

Jun 2, 2015
✟25,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The reason for this question. It kinda puzzled me that Adam and Eve that they didn't seem strange for a snake talking to them.

It was not a snake,it was satan himself

Revelation 12:9 "And the great dragon was cast out, that old ,serpent called the Devil, and Sa'-tan, which deceived the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

he has many names ,all depending on the role he's playing at the time

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible shows that demons and Satan,
can poses animals and people.
-
Snakes did have legs, but a mutation in
the gene was broken or is suppressed.
-

Thesaurus results for SNAKE
1 a limbless reptile with a long body
2 a person whose behavior is offensive to others
3 one who betrays a trust or an allegiance
-
In the bible, names are changed [or added] when
a persons character changes, for good or bad
in places. Satan had fallen before the garden,
hence being labeled a snake by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

n2thelight

Jun 2, 2015
✟25,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The bible shows that demons and Satan,
can poses animals and people.
-
Snakes did have legs, but a mutation in
the gene was broken or is suppressed.
-

Thesaurus results for SNAKE
1 a limbless reptile with a long body
2 a person whose behavior is offensive to others
3 one who betrays a trust or an allegiance
-
In the bible, names are changed when a persons
character changes, for good or bad in places.
Satan had fallen before the garden, hence
being labeled a snake by then.

Don't agree with snakes having legs ,however,do agree with the definition.

It goes much deeper if you have eyes to see,not saying you....

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

n2thelight

Jun 2, 2015
✟25,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I understand what you saying,I just feel a snake(animal)has always been a snake.

Genesis 3:14 "And the Lord God said unto the serpent, "Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:"

This is God speaking to Satan. God is cursing Satan above all living creatures. This is a figure of speech, meaning you are the lowest thing of all creation. Now God continues to speak to the serpent [Satan].

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The reason for this question. It kinda puzzled me that Adam and Eve that they didn't seem strange for a snake talking to them.

Probably not the sort of answer you are looking for, but I think one reason we don't find Adam and Eve being surprised by a talking snake is that the story isn't necessarily meant to be taken literally. The story isn't about a talking snake leading to two people eating evil fruit; the story is about the fall of mankind from innocence to sin, and the subjugation of all creation to death. Those are very real and true things, even if there is no literal talking serpent. The devil's scheming to beguile mankind is an interpretation of the story that comes later, and that too is true--again, even if there is no literal talking snake.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OURO.jpg

The ouroboros or uroborus is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail. Originating in ancient Egyptian iconography, the ouroboros entered western tradition via Greek magical tradition and was adopted as a symbol in Gnosticism and Hermeticism and most notably in alchemy. Wikipedia

This symbol was the prevailing understanding of creation and the nature of time predating the OT Scriptures. The ancient Egyptians understood time to be cyclic as the primal events of human history would begin to manifest and the events current at the time would come to an end "swallowed up in this new unfolding echo of the beginning. It marked the end of an age and the beginning of a new one. The ancients considered this phenomenon to be time and human events as swept up in it.

Moses would have learned this cosmology from the priests themselves as a royal son of Pharoah.
He used this symbol to express the truth of this phenomenon as given him by God.
History repeats itself not because it's how time operates but because of sin. The tail becomes a human foot that instead of being swallowed by the head will crush it and bring to an end the insidious cycle of repeated history. An end to the deception of the serpent in the garden that initiated history and it's endless cycle.

The foot of course crushes the head because Jesus conquers sin and death and free's man from it's grip.

In one swoop Moses takes the pagan symbols and points them to their true object. The most subtle deception of the nature of creation and time are in effect depaganized and made an expression of the Truth of sin and the coming of Our Savior.

The special preternatural bond between Adam and the animals is broken at the fall. Adam knew the animals in the deepest sense. To know a thing fully one must be that thing. Adam is an animal but more. He could name them because he knew them as being one with them. Adam could call the animals by name and to the animals Adam is their fulfillment and end. Adam is meant to lead creation out of the futility it was subject to since it was created. The harmony enjoyed by the bonds between God and Man, Man and woman and man and nature are a state of being refereed to as Paradise. This harmony was lost and nature became hostile to man. Man and woman become hostile to each other and Truth is given up for a lie.

Christ as the New Adam enjoyed this state of harmony with creation and His Father. Christ experienced Paradise as a natural state of His humanity. Paradise is where Elisha was taken up to in a fiery chariot and apparently Satan lost the body of Moses to Michael the archangel as revealed by the light of Christ's transfigured glory. Glory not yet of the Power of the Throne of God but the glory of truth and grace of an only Son. In that light the apostles could peer into Paradise and see Elisha and Moses.. Anothe expression of this truth is Christ saying to the good theif "today you will be with me in paradise."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The story isn't about a talking snake leading to two people eating evil fruit; the story is about the fall of mankind from innocence to sin, and the subjugation of all creation to death.

I do not read the Genesis myth as a fall from an original state of perfection into sin and death. The first couple were completely innocent and naïve creatures. They were certainly capable of making a mistake but, without knowing good from evil, they lacked even the ability to sin. That ability came only with them eating of the "Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil". To me the story is a "coming of age story". Our mythical first couple graduated from animal status into to fully self aware human beings capable of making moral judgements. This is not an Original Sin story but rather an Original Blessing story that should be celebrated. We are not a people fallen from an original state of perfection into sin and death.

Why the expulsion from Eden? In the mythology, I believe it to be symbolic that mankind was no longer a naïve creature living in moral ignorance but had become real men and women living in a real world where there was real good and evil.

What we are is a people that is still evolving and that evolution has profoundly affected not just our bodies but our psyches as well. The world in which we evolved was a difficult and dagerous one and mere survival was of the highest priority. Selfishness became a part of who we are as a survival mechanism. This selfish instinct is no longer as necessary as in our savage past but it is still powerful. If there is an "Original Sin", this is it. Of course it is not a sin really but an innate part of our nature and it can be overcome.

In the words of John Spong: "Every living thing, plant and animal is programmed to survive. What is true of all these living things is also true of human life. The only difference is that we human beings are self-conscious, while plants and animals are not. If survival is our highest goal, self-centeredness is inevitable and thus this quality becomes a constant part of the human experience. Traditionally, the church has called this "original sin" and has explained it with the myth of the fall. That was simply wrong. Survival is a quality found in life itself. There was no fall. Self-centered, survival driven, self-conscious creatures is simply who we are. There is thus no such thing as "original sin" from which we need to be rescued by a divine invader. So much of traditional Christianity assumes this false premise."

Reactions: misput
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I find it extremely problematic.
I can't place myself in that head space where we read scripture as merely an author's flawed perspective. It goes both ways as the same flaws could arguably exist within your model of how the devil/satan is revealed through scripture. In the end all you got is a book that you pick and choose what's right and what isn't and that's not something I'm interested in.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because of Genesis 3:14
14 So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this,

“Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.

I believe the snake allowed Satan to use his body. If that verse wasn't there I would have said Satan merely changed to look like a snake, but why would God curse the snake to crawl on its belly if it wasn't complicit somehow?
Rev 20 tells us it's dragon is the ancient serpent. Do you think this dragon is a literal dragon (that is Satan or that Satan possesses) or do you think it means something else? (Where there actually is no dragon)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I talk to animals all the time.

I ask them to tell me things, but so far they don't answer in English. (usually just wagging their tail)

The only known animal God caused to ever speak (Hebrew?) was the donkey under Balaam, as far as I know.

Not counting talking birds.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The serpent was a divine being - a Nachash, which are also called Seraph(the Seraphim)
perhaps....
or
just like a dove may and did in Scripture represent spiritually, though God is not a dove,
the enemy is called by God a serpent,
and it did not require a physical snake as we know snake
in the Garden to talk.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Rev 20 tells us it's dragon is the ancient serpent. Do you think this dragon is a literal dragon (that is Satan or that Satan possesses) or do you think it means something else? (Where there actually is no dragon)
I think people might imagine like puff the magic dragon picture in the sky flying around or whatever,
but
"there actually is no dragon" like that,
but
"there IS " a dragon, as God describes, spiritually/metaphorically/ as an illustration/parable....

(whatever the words /meaning God has is better (and totally different) than what men conjecture or use instead.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why would I think that when Revelation is a book of prophecy and symbolism. Do you realize the Bible is filled with different types of books?
Satan is referred to as a dragon the same way that Jesus is referred to as a lamb, and both are called a lion. It's describing their nature.
1 Peter 5:8
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why would I think that when Revelation is a book of prophecy and symbolism. Do you realize the Bible is filled with different types of books?
Satan is referred to as a dragon the same way that Jesus is referred to as a lamb, and both are called a lion. It's describing their nature.
1 Peter 5:8
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
The creation account is both highly prophetic and highly symbolic too, in fact the question on if it's literal or not is the most uninteresting part of the account.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
perhaps....
or
just like a dove may and did in Scripture represent spiritually, though God is not a dove,
the enemy is called by God a serpent,
and it did not require a physical snake as we know snake
in the Garden to talk.
Possibly, but she did call it a nachash, so she knew what it was somehow.

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't place myself in that head space where we read scripture as merely an author's flawed perspective. It goes both ways as the same flaws could arguably exist within your model of how the devil/satan is revealed through scripture. In the end all you got is a book that you pick and choose what's right and what isn't and that's not something I'm interested in.
I doubt that Moses had a flawed perspective and God, the true author, certainly did not. Why the creation story is presented to us the way it is is a mystery in itself but if we insist on interpreting it literally we will always be confused.

Upvote 0