Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Agreed. I use to think that we would be responsible to God for not being crusaders. But, the red cross doesn't fit me. I found myself prideful, arrogant, vain and angry. I'm not sure God calls us to expend such energy. John says, 'Whoever does not love does not know God for God is love'.

Its amazing how much criticism Pope Francis gets online / youtube.

One channel i frequent is by Taylor Marshall and he is always having a dig at him.

I dont want to end up Kneeling before Our Lord and trying to explain being extremely uncharitable to Peter's successor on earth.

Yes, we can question things but, i dont like the cruel attacks the Pope gets. He needs our prayers. As does the whole church.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
We were talking about leadership.
Something like that - they go back to the NT church by way of connections to various groups. What does that have to do with the pachamama topic?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We were talking about leadership.

Waldenses had leaders - but I think their structure was not quite so formal - under the centuries of persecution that Francis was apologizing for not too long ago.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Waldenses had leaders - but I think their structure was not quite so formal - under the centuries of persecution that Francis was apologizing for not too long ago.
That's wonderful that he apologized. Who came before the Waldensians?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Pachamama is a pagan goddess and always has been. When did the idol magically turn into the Virgin Mary? When the lady in the video presented her as such? It does not work that way. It’s an idol. Trying to twist into something it isn’t is more than disingenuous.

You are entirely correct, and the events at the Amazonian synod did cause great dismay not only among mainstream Roman Catholics like Fr. Zuhlsdorf (Fr Z, who is a mainstream Roman Catholic priest whose opinion matters, indeed, Fr Z is someone who I would like to see elevated to the episcopate) both traditional Protestants (such as the LCMS) and Eastern Orthodox Christians @Thatgirloncfforums

There were serious concerns specifically about Pachamama.

Additionally, the Roman Catholic church historically did have some canons regarding iconography, which one sees reflected in the iconography of the Western Church from the Romanesque and Gothic period, which is very much akin to Byzantine iconography, but even outside that tradition, there are certain norms of iconography, for example, Our Lady of Guadalupe follows all of the rules of every Christian church on the planet in terms of its depiction of the Virgin Mary, despite it being painted by an Aztec Mexican in the traditional visual and decorative style of his people.

I have never seen the Blessed Virgin Mary depicted au naturel and that is a thing just not done.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I presume the idea of approving of a "Nude virgin Mary" image - is not something the Catholic church has ever sanctioned

On this point you are correct.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Its amazing how much criticism Pope Francis gets online / youtube.

One channel i frequent is by Taylor Marshall and he is always having a dig at him.

I dont want to end up Kneeling before Our Lord and trying to explain being extremely uncharitable to Peter's successor on earth.

Yes, we can question things but, i dont like the cruel attacks the Pope gets. He needs our prayers. As does the whole church.

Well, I don’t see anyone in this thread being cruel to Pope Francis. I would propose one should also consider the perspective of the traditional Latin mass communities, who have never acted maliciously towards Pope Francis, which are now being suppressed outright in some dioceses due to Traditiones Custodes and the abolition of the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, which was installed by Pope St. John Paul II, a canonized saint in the Roman Catholic Church. If Pope Francis had only rolled back actions of Pope Benedict XVI, I could understand it, but his policies and actions have had the effect of reversing those of the most recent occupant of the Holy See to be canonized. So I would respectfully suggest that such actions are bound to attract controversy, and that Roman Catholics are not uncharitable to question decisions which have an adverse effect on many Roman Catholics, for example, Traditiones Custodes, or decisions which have caused extreme controversy, for example, Amoris Laetitia, or decisions which contradict policies of Pope St. John Paul II, for instance, the disestablishment of the pontifical commission Ecclesia Dei, or deeply problematic statements regarding sexual morality, for example, his remark “who am I to judge?” on the issue of homosexual marriage, or actions which seem imprudent, for example, the conduct of the bishops and Pope Francis at the Amazonian synod.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Thank you! I am so glad to hear that the RC has actual canons! Can you point me to them if it's not too much trouble (if you have to assemble them, don't worry about it)
You are entirely correct, and the events at the Amazonian synod did cause great dismay not only among mainstream Roman Catholics like Fr. Zuhlsdorf (Fr Z, who is a mainstream Roman Catholic priest whose opinion matters, indeed, Fr Z is someone who I would like to see elevated to the episcopate) both traditional Protestants (such as the LCMS) and Eastern Orthodox Christians @Thatgirloncfforums

There were serious concerns specifically about Pachamama.

Additionally, the Roman Catholic church historically did have some canons regarding iconography, which one sees reflected in the iconography of the Western Church from the Romanesque and Gothic period, which is very much akin to Byzantine iconography, but even outside that tradition, there are certain norms of iconography, for example, Our Lady of Guadalupe follows all of the rules of every Christian church on the planet in terms of its depiction of the Virgin Mary, despite it being painted by an Aztec Mexican in the traditional visual and decorative style of his people.

I have never seen the Blessed Virgin Mary depicted au naturel and that is a thing just not done.

Upvote 0