Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone! Awhile back the girl I was talking to, who is now my loving girlfriend let me know that she is a Vegetarian, yet I do not know many recipes that would cater to her, other than the ones I DO know.

With that said, I was wondering if I could ask you guys some recipes that would be worth cooking for her......that are SPICY. Aside from a few pasta dishes and Fra Diavolo sauce, I know nothing else :(

R

Raesha

Tempeh? I've never heard of it.

I haven't yet posted enough to share images or links, but it's fairly versatile - I really enjoy it. This is what Wikipedia has to say:

Tempeh (/ˈtɛmpeɪ/; Javanese: témpé, IPA: [tempe]), is a traditional soy product originally from Indonesia. It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form, similar to a very firm vegetarian burger patty. Tempeh is unique among major traditional soy foods in that it is the only one that did not originate from the Sinosphere cuisine.
It originated in today's Indonesia, and is especially popular on the island of Java, where it is a staple source of protein. Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans, but it is a whole soybean product with different nutritional characteristics and textural qualities.[1] Tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber, and vitamins. It has a firm texture and an earthy flavor which becomes more pronounced as it ages.[2][3] Because of its nutritional value, tempeh is used worldwide in vegetarian cuisine, where it is used as a meat analogue.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What kind of vegetarian?

Are eggs, cheese and milk OK?

The newer varieties of Eggplant simply brushed with butter and grilled is pretty nice.

Oh and why vegetarian? I can think of one artichoke hearts dish that is wonderful for one where eggs and cheese are OK. But if part of her vegetarian style is weight control it would not go over well.

Upvote 0

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone! Awhile back the girl I was talking to, who is now my loving girlfriend let me know that she is a Vegetarian, yet I do not know many recipes that would cater to her, other than the ones I DO know.

With that said, I was wondering if I could ask you guys some recipes that would be worth cooking for her......that are SPICY. Aside from a few pasta dishes and Fra Diavolo sauce, I know nothing else :(

I'm a vegetarian in China, which has one of the highest vegetarian populations (due to Buddhism), and I would greatly advocate soy products (i.e. tofu, bean curd etc)...we adore soy products because it is a very vital protein source for us.

Just ensure that you cook lots of vegetables, never heard of a vegetarian who doesn't like those ^_^. Not sure about the west, but in Asia we always eat a huge amount of vegetables in proportion to everything else (besides rice). As for spices, cumin is very tasty...but if you want to be more daring you can try Sichuan spice (but even I, as a spice buff, have succumbed to its awesome power).

Upvote 0