Gotalent

Mar 7, 2008
Canada.
✟15,153.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am of jewish decent, and have spent some while in the holy land but my arrival to North America has allowed me to wonder more and question my religion. I have never found spiritual fulfillment in judaism, and after about two years of soul searching and going from being agnostic and athiest I have found Jesus to be the true messiah.

I have concidered Messianic Judaism but it does not feel right to me. Catholicism drew me in but I am afraid that at this point, still in high school and living with my parents (who are very disconnected from judaism yet still will be quite dissapointed if I converted) I cannot go to RCIA classes every week without my parents knowing something is up.

I am very confused and I dont even know what my point is with this thread, I guess if someone can summarize the beliefs of different churches and how one joins them, it would help quite a bit. I just dont know what to do.

p.s. I am also interested in Eastern (european) othodox

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am of jewish decent, and have spent some while in the holy land but my arrival to North America has allowed me to wonder more and question my religion. I have never found spiritual fulfillment in judaism, and after about two years of soul searching and going from being agnostic and athiest I have found Jesus to be the true messiah.

I have concidered Messianic Judaism but it does not feel right to me. Catholicism drew me in but I am afraid that at this point, still in high school and living with my parents (who are very disconnected from judaism yet still will be quite dissapointed if I converted) I cannot go to RCIA classes every week without my parents knowing something is up.

I am very confused and I dont even know what my point is with this thread, I guess if someone can summarize the beliefs of different churches and how one joins them, it would help quite a bit. I just dont know what to do.

Hi!

So glad you posted. Welcome to CF!

I'm not of any denomination and never had been as when I came to Jesus it was at a non denominational church, and so I can't explain a lot about denominatons and some have many sects (if is proper term) even within the denomination.

You mentioned Catholic and Eastern Orthodox.

I would recommend that on Eastern Orthodox you post in that forum and people will explain it to you, unless someone see's this post.

Here's the link to that congregation and feel free to ask them anything on your heart.

http://christianforums.com/f145-the-ancient-way-eastern-orthodox.html

OBOB is the Catholic forum at this link:

http://christianforums.com/f26-one-bread-one-body-catholic.html

All the congregations are listed at this link:

http://christianforums.com/f75-congregation.html

So, as am non denominational and can't help with explaining other denominations, would just like to share with you that until you find a denomination you would like to be part of, to continue reading the bible, praying, singing, and there are many sermons online.

Also, if you know of other's who believe in Jesus; getting together with them on the phone or if possible to meet, as fellowship is important and I know you have the concern with you parents; and is understandable.

If you know of a pastor you would like to hear online, pop their name in google and see if they have video or audio sermons.

When listening to online sermons or when anybody tells you anything at all as pertains to God, be sure to read it (verify it) for yourself in the bible to verify if is truth.

I am sorry I couldn't be of much help, but I think posting directly in some of those congregations people will be able to explain things.

take care,
and pm anytime as well should you like.
God bless,
tapero

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would go to the denomination that is the most literally biblical to you and takes the Word of God seriously (practice what they preach). The pastor preaches out of the Bible and the members bring their bibles. And one that shows the love of God which is the unconditional love for others. Make sure you don't go to a church that is just a social club and/or plays games but one that has substance to it and does the Great Commission. Also, not a legalistic church - they like their legalistic dogma more than the bible. Time is too short for games and nonsense.

You can tell by the members actions (their fruits) what type of christians they are - phoney or genuine. What denomination? Hmm, its difficult to say - because the "label" doesn't tell you the true story many times.

How does messianic judaism not feel right? Could you be specific as this could help me understand better.

Upvote 0

godismyabba

Bondservant of the Most High God
Dec 26, 2007
Lost in Space
✟17,298.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian who happens to reside in the United Methodist Church. Why don't you follow some of the links above, but then get out there and just visit several different churches? You don't have to commit to anything just by going. I have found that even within the same denomination, each church varies on style of worship, pastor personality and music. My big one is music, I love to praise God through music.

Oh, and I am so glad to have a new sister. Welcome to the flock.

Upvote 0

L.A.W.

Feb 28, 2005
✟7,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

In many churches, you will find that they are all very alike, the style of their sanctuary setup and service. The difference is in their doctrine.

Do not be so quick to conform to what you don't know. Study the word of yah. You will find temporary fulfillment in the church. First seek the kingdom of Yahuah. Study the word of yah and meditate upon them.

Discern the way of yah that you may not walk as the world. Be holy as he is holy.

Upvote 0
A

Anti Existance

You don't have to tell your parents, your life belongs to you along with the choices that you make, and if they find out and they start complaining you should just tell them that just like they aren't interested in judaism anymore you are neither and that you want something new into your life, hell you might even invite them to come along with you it might be even interesting for them. Whatever you do in life go for Gold. Don't let others stop you (even your parents) from you choosing your life happyness, and making a choice for God. Listen to the gut feeling in your heart and move on with this choice.

Upvote 0
A

AnneSally

How wonderful! You have come to your Messiah!:amen:
All you need is Him, you don't need religion, the religions only point to Him, but He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life and if you've found Him you already have eternal life.

I understand that religion is confusing that is why I would suggest that you continue to put your faith in Jesus Christ and not in religion. Get to know your Messiah intimately in prayer, studying the Word, building your relationship with Him, and He will lead you to those whom He desires for you to fellowship with.

It is good to fellowship with other believers, but always hold fast to Jesus Christ because there are wolves in sheeps clothing out there and false brethren within. Pray to be led by the Spirit and test all spirits and those who try to lure you away from the narrow path of Life that Jesus Christ calls you to walk upon, keep your confidence in Him and your eyes and heart on Him at all times.

God bless you and keep you always dear one.:hug:

Love Sally.

P.S - If you ever need encouragement or support, please feel welcome to pm me. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bain_Adaneth

Nov 14, 2003
cali~~*the golden state*~~
✟8,442.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gotalent…….I guess I can give you my biases on which church to attend…I’m Southern Baptist right now…..I was non denominational before…however I don’t think being non-denominational is a good idea anymore…the idea is probably good…but when you actually step into church…it’s a bad thing because many people there believe in other things that may not be biblical….since it’s non-denominational…you have no real similar good foundation or beliefs to go by as one church…and it’s more confusing and can be a stumbling block for your faith.
Take your time in your search, even the worst “churches” can have a good denomination name over them. So denomination is not only important but so is the specific church.
It is important that you understand the Word of God. The Word of God, the Bible is your key. As long as you follow the Word of God…you can rest assure that you will be safe. That way you can judge the teaching of the church by yourself…if its doctrines doesn’t go with what the bible says, then you’ll know. Never listen to anything that does not go with what the bible teaches. Pastors in the church will preach to help you understand the bible, but it is everyone of our responsibility to study it. So that we can judge for ourselves what it is saying and so that we can defend our faith. Also so that we can bring glory to the Lord. God says in Ephesians 6 that the Word of God is your sword…you must use it to help you. Study the Word of God diligently.

Don’t worry about being a Jewish Christian. The first believers were Jewish. The Messiah was Jewish. It was only in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians..and this was when the gospel was being spread to the gentiles as well.

In Christ, there is no Jew or Greek. Through Abraham God has made the promise to bless all nations. And that promise was fulfilled when the Messiah died for us.

Whatever the church you stumble into…you must pray before you go for God to guide you and to help you discern. And if they teach different from the Bible, the you’ll know (if you study the Bible). Be careful…many churches may say they teach what the bible says, but they may twist the scriptures to say what they want. Stay away from other things that are not considered mainstream Christian..

The bible that I prefer to use is the New American Standard Version. It’s fairly new to me, but I agree with it because it’s easy to understand, translation is more accurate …its translation is not reduced to make it easier to read. Also it shows the differences between both the earlier and later New Testament scriptures.

Word of Advice…tell your parents…or you will end up lying to them…the bad mistake that I did with others….and then if you’re always hiding the fact that you’re a Christian…pretty soon it will feel shameful.

*** Wait, you've considered Jesus to be the Messiah, but have you confessed your sins and believed on Him to be your Savior and let Him be Lord of your life???? There is a difference.

Mark 8:38 (New American Standard Bible)

38"For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."

Let me know if you have more questions…I’ll be glad to help.

Upvote 0

unkern

National Guard
Jun 19, 2008
Indiana
✟16,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up Roman Catholic, and Its not a religion about christ (PM me if you want to know more) I agree with annesally. Jesus never liked religion, so find yourself a good church (preferably small) that teaches in line with the WHOLE bible. Oh yeah you may need a new bible too, if you havent picked up a christian bible. I recommend NIV, or NLT they are taken directly from the old languages, KJV was taken from the latin vulgate and is harder to read, and not as correct. As for your parents Let the Gospel transform you first then let it transform them.

Upvote 0

Angeloffire

Son of God
Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
✟8,325.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Try to find one that operates in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise you will end up religious and dead with only rules to follow but no strength within you to do it.

Don't focus so much on creeds, but on the Holy Spirit. He is your teacher. Ask Him to come into your heart and to teach you. Start asking for the gift of wisdom. This is a wonderous gift that will help you to understand what God is saying to you.

You are the temple of God, you are the Church, His bride...... when He returns only those who are led by the Holy Spirit will be considered His by Him and will have little or nothing to do with the 'name' of the religion you have.

God is your Father, and He wants a personal relationship with you as His son/daughter. EVerything He does in your life will be based around that.

God Bless,

Angel of Fire

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟174,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Do not despair! Plenty of us have been exactly where you are and there is hope.

Fr. James Bernstein was Jewish before becoming an Evangelical Christian (and one of the founding members of Jews for Jesus). However, as you, he didn't feel this type of belief was quite right either. He discovered Orthodox Christianity and is now an Orthodox Christian priest. He has quite a bit to say on the topic of how and why he went from Judaism to being an Orthodox Christian.

http://www.protomartyr.org/first.html

http://audio.ancientfaith.com/illuminedheart/ih_bernstein_pc.mp3

http://www.surprisedbychrist.com/

Regarding myself: I was raised as an Evangelical Pentecostal, was later a deist, and then became an Orthodox Christian. My family was far from happy with my decision to join the Church (it has been rough but I know converts who have it much worse with their families than I do). I had given up on Christianity, I read a book about Orthodox Christianity on a whim and felt compelled to visit. I knew the truth when I was confronted with it. Here are excerpts from the book I read on-line: http://fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/history_timothy_ware_1.htm http://fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/history_timothy_ware_2.htm

What We Believe (this page has many links to articles answering this question): http://www.antiochian.org/673

How to go about converting: If one wishes to convert, then one must begin by coming and seeing what the fuss is about. Find an Orthodox Church in your area. http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

Visit us for Divine Liturgy, orthros/matins, vespers (come to any of our services). Talk to the priest if you feel inclined. http://www.frederica.com/12-things/

If you feel that you are serious about converting, then ask the priest about attending catechumen classes. Once you have decided, then he will say the prayers that will officially make you a catechumen. If you're not serious, you can still ask any priest and attend the classes to learn more about our faith. (Plenty of people do this and later wind up converting.)

Once a person is a catechumen, the priest will inform the bishop when he feels you are ready to be received into the Church and when the bishop gives his blessing, you will be baptized and chrismated. Most catechumens are received into the Church on Holy Saturday, right before Great and Holy Pascha.

About how I became Orthodox continued (the slightly longer version):

I don't consider what I went through to be a true deconversion. I had been a hard core believer for most of my life and never thought I'd change either. However, when it happened, it was enough for me to post a deconversion testimony on a website for former Christians.

It was heartbreaking for me and I really had a difficult time. I did go through my own dark night of the soul. At the same time, I was also overjoyed with not having to go to church anymore, as I truly lost all sense of church services etc. even being remotely useful or relevant to my life. It all seemed so pointless. I saw this huge disconnect between the Church that the New Testament spoke about and what I was seeing in the Pentecostal, Baptist, and independent Christian churches I had gone to every Sunday and Wednesday of my life. I wanted the Church of the New Testament.

I didn't consider going to those churches that were considered more 'liberal' because while social justice issues are important, I didn't see the point in calling themselves Christian if they were rejecting the fundamentals of the faith anyway. I figured I could be involved in helping others, be more honest with myself in the process, and sleep in on Sundays. Everything I had ever encountered in Christianity seemed to be well intentioned, but wrong somehow.

I began calling myself a Deist, but I wasn't satisfied with that and started researching other religions and philosophies. I liked Taoism, but I honestly didn't see anything else that I considered worth my time to believe in. I couldn't call myself an atheist because I had a few experiences in my life that made me aware of a spiritual world out there. However, knowing this didn't make finding the truth an easy process, and skeptics had a lot of good questions that I began to examine as my own.

Long story short, I was a jaded and bitter individual. I felt I had good reason to be as I had a lot of negative religious/spiritual experiences. I understand where people are coming from who are angry, because I can relate to an extent. However, my bitterness began to turn into hatred of all things Christian, to the point where I started to see that I was becoming the sort of person I didn't want to be. I didn't like myself at all.

I didn't give up my search though. I read a lot. I sent desperate, pleading prayers out for God (if He even existed) to lead me to the truth. It was coming across Orthodox Christianity on the net that piqued my interest. I thought I knew everything about Christianity- enough to know that all the groups I was familiar with weren't going to cut it for me. I found the only Orthodox book at my local Barnes and Noble and bought the beat up and bent copy of it. I read it, I was cautious about it, I tried to dismiss it (but it kept coming to mind), and I eventually decided that I wanted to go visit an Orthodox church.

I was very reluctant to go back to any sort of church again. The first Sunday my husband (who was agnostic at the time) and I even turned around in the church parking lot and went out for coffee instead. However, we eventually made our way in for Divine Liturgy.

How does one explain to someone else about experiencing the presence of God? All I knew was that it wasn't simply my own emotions wreaking havoc with me- some things come from outside of ourselves- and people who know themselves well can discern this difference. (I was raised Pentecostal and I am rather immune to situations designed to manipulate emotions.) It was like being confronted with all of the answers to my questions after my long search. I knew I had to convert. God was there. Christ is in the Eucharist- which is something I had difficulty accepting as I was raised to accept a very different thing as being the truth- but have certainly experienced beyond a doubt since my Chrismation. Can I prove this to you? No. Were our personal experiences enough to prove it to me and my husband? Yes.

I hope this is helpful for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4pUphDitA

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.