Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CV NEWS FEED // Controversial television writer and producer Norman Lear has died at 101.

Though he was Jewish for most of his life and widely known as progressive, Lear converted to Catholicism last year, and was baptized by a priest from the Dominican House of Studies, according to a PJ Media article.

“While some of his critics characterized Lear as a classic example of a Jewish agnostic, in 2022, in what might seem an unexpected move, Lear embraced the Catholic Faith,” the article said, adding that, “Lear was inspired by one of his daughters, who converted while at Harvard.”

Lear is best known for his creation of compelling but divisive characters such as Archie Bunker, Fred Sanford, and George Jefferson, as well as the TV shows “All in the Family,” “Maude,” and “Sanford and Son.”

One of his most controversial episodes from “Maude” portrays a 47 year old woman who gets an abortion. The episode aired in November 1972—two months before Roe v. Wade legalized abortion.

Lear would later tell Entertainment Weekly in 2018: “I thought it was a wonderful idea. I thought it was something that absolutely should be addressed, and I liked tackling issues as well as entertaining.”

Continued below.