Central Illinois
✟10,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I would appreciate some thoughts/wisdom in regards to whether or not I should continue praying for the well being of an ex. I've never struggled so much to let go of a relationship before and I know that will come with time, but I still feel like I want to keep praying for his well being and growth in Christ because I know he needs it, and I'm not sure that anyone else is praying for him this way. His nominal faith is one of the reasons I ended things, but I really didn't want to break-up. God does keep reminding me that he loves this man more than I do.

Any thoughts? (PS- I'm not talking about prayers along the lines of "dear God make him a better man for me" or "get us back together" but rather I want to see him free in Christ of his vices and insecurities.)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would appreciate some thoughts/wisdom in regards to whether or not I should continue praying for the well being of an ex. I've never struggled so much to let go of a relationship before and I know that will come with time, but I still feel like I want to keep praying for his well being and growth in Christ because I know he needs it, and I'm not sure that anyone else is praying for him this way. His nominal faith is one of the reasons I ended things, but I really didn't want to break-up. God does keep reminding me that he loves this man more than I do.

Any thoughts? (PS- I'm not talking about prayers along the lines of "dear God make him a better man for me" but rather I want to see him free in Christ of his vices and insecurities.)
There's your clue to keep praying.

Reactions: thisgal
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
- On the one hand, we could tell you to not pray for the guy, but that doesn't sound right to me. After all, shouldn't we pray for everybody?

- On the other, it sounds like you're not over him yet, and focusing on your ex may not be healthy. Perhaps pray for faith that God will handle the situation without as much involvement from you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You need to ask yourself why you're doing this is and if praying is another way of holding on. Especially if you're hoping they'll lead to a reconciliation. The prayers won't diminish the connection unless you ask. You'll stay plugged in.

Reactions: Rigatoni
Upvote 0

thisgal

Mar 23, 2015
Central Illinois
✟10,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I very much appreciate everyone's thoughts and you can well see how I'm feeling torn. Wanting to always pray for those on our hearts, but also wanting to be cautious of keeping an unhealthy attachment. I'd hoped maybe someone could share an experience where their continued prayers for an ex actually helped in the healing and eventually led to a peaceful disconnect. Perhaps I'll pray through the month and then ask God if I should continue.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Any thoughts? (PS- I'm not talking about prayers along the lines of "dear God make him a better man for me" but rather I want to see him free in Christ of his vices and insecurities.)

The best definition of love I've heard is this:

Love is willing the good of the other, as other.

Perhaps asking yourself whether your prayers for him are following that idea or not. If not, maybe you should shift gears and either think about how you can change your motives, or simply entrust it all to the Lord once and for all and move on.

It might be possible that on a subconscious level, you're praying for the things you are not because you want what's best for him, but because you want to get back together with him, but in your mind he needs to check off a couple more boxes first. Is that really love?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I very much appreciate everyone's thoughts and you can well see how I'm feeling torn. Wanting to always pray for those on our hearts, but also wanting to be cautious of keeping an unhealthy attachment. I'd hoped maybe someone could share an experience where their continued prayers for an ex actually helped in the healing and eventually led to a peaceful disconnect. Perhaps I'll pray through the month and then ask God if I should continue.

You could add his name to prayer lists instead. When I prayed for a previous connection for a lengthy time he softened but our desire for the other never left. It persisted for years.

Upvote 0