• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Contemporary Service

Discussion in 'LCMS / WELS / ELS / LCC' started by Brigid63, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Brigid63

Brigid63 HighAnglican

+136
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    What do LCMS think of the Contemporary Service that is sweeping our nation? Apparently, the powers that be and even congregations think it will bring in new converts and stop decline in membership. However, when I joined the LCMS I was under the impression that I was joining a Lutheran church as opposed to an evangelical would-be mega church!

The Contemporary Services are always the services at the most convenient time(s) everywhere, it seems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Athanasius377

Athanasius377 Is a little right of Atilla the Hun Supporter

+874
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I agree. I absolutely loathe and have utter contempt for most contemporary worship. Period. Not to say there aren’t great modern hymns because there are. What concerns me is why Lutherans feel the need to emulate modern evangelical movements and minimize if not suppress our Lutheran heritage. Let me see, JS Bach or Hillsong. . .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. TKA_TN

TKA_TN Member

+72
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    This has been an issue with me, too. My church has 3 services. Traditional, Blended (still Liturgical) and contemporary. Contemporary is in the gym, thankfully. The blended is nice, but still seems to lose some reverence.

4. Newtheran

Newtheran Well-Known Member

+550
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    I am opposed to contemporary services. Now is not the time to dilute and change historic Christian worship for a culture turning its back on the faith. The mission is greater than filling the pews. There isn't anything that can be done in the style of worldly entertainment on a Sunday morning in a church sanctuary that can't be done better at a bar on Saturday night. There's an old Baptist saying that more Lutherans should be familiar with: "you keep them with what you win them with."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. James Murphy

James Murphy LCMS Lutheran

+345
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The church I go to is LCMS and has contemporary worship all three services.

6. Newtheran

Newtheran Well-Known Member

+550
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    There are some that have gone that direction. My personal feeling is the synod would be better off if they simply de-branded and became non denominational.

7. Brigid63

Brigid63 HighAnglican

+136
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Not only is the music not traditional (and I do appreciate the good voices and the overseeing of doctrine in the songs that the LCMS has), but the liturgy otherwise seems to be gone. No confession and absolution? So depressing! Not even robes!

8. TKA_TN

TKA_TN Member

+72
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    That's not your only option for a service is it?

The contemporary service at my church still has confession and absolution, but cuts back to only 1 reading (the one the sermon is based off of) so you may not even hear the Gospel that day if the sermon is based off the Epistle reading.

This is where I wish the LCMS would not allow congregational authority on some things. We're Lutheran because we believe in what the early church looked like. Early church didn't have guitars.

9. tampasteve

tampasteve Lutheran Messianic Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,271
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    That is honestly shocking for a conservative church like the LCMS that bases it's worship and builds its beliefs on Scripture and the Book of Concord. Cutting back on readings is one thing (though I do not agree), but the confession and absolution part of the service/liturgy is really a basic part of the service that should not be left out.