Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I can see how they might prefer traditional services since it’s what they’re used to. Still, after I went to my first contemporary non denom (ND) service, which I think I went to first, before Lutheran, I knew that type of worship is what I wanted.
Hey, to each their own. If you find God in that type of service then that is the place for you. :)
Could it be a generational thing? I’m 59 and like rock, pop and contemporary Christian music, as I think many my age do.
Could be, the general trend seems to show younger (mid 20s to 40 in this case) people preferring a more traditional service, along with much older people as well.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Could it be a generational thing? I’m 59 and like rock, pop and contemporary Christian music, as I think many my age do.

Of the four Congregations I have been a member of, three had a contemporary service, which was mostly, more modern music and a band.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,931.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In my experience, I would say no. Most people our age think they young want that, and that's the only way we can get them into Church. Thing is, how much of a Church is it if it forsakes Word and Sacrament for entertainment and showmanship?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In my experience, I would say no. Most people our age think they young want that, and that's the only way we can get them into Church. Thing is, how much of a Church is it if it forsakes Word and Sacrament for entertainment and showmanship?

Why can’t there be both?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,931.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why can’t there be both?
I'm not saying it is not possible; but Scripture is clear about the form worship is to take, it is liturgical. I know people who go to Churches where the "praise band" and the Charismatic leader get's everyone worked up. The band members are "stars" and they act like it; the leader is a "star" in his own right; so it becomes about being entertained and emotionally invested; in short is is more about the individuals than it is about Christ. Rarely if ever are the sacraments celebrated; and as often as not, when the Charismatic leader moves on, these Churches tend to whither and die.

The Church should be about Christ alone, Faith alone, Grace alone, based on Scripture alone, and glorifying the tribune God above all things; not on emotions and happy feelings.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying it is not possible; but Scripture is clear about the form worship is to take, it is liturgical. I know people who go to Churches where the "praise band" and the Charismatic leader get's everyone worked up. The band members are "stars" and they act like it; the leader is a "star" in his own right; so it becomes about being entertained and emotionally invested; in short is is more about the individuals than it is about Christ. Rarely if ever are the sacraments celebrated; and as often as not, when the Charismatic leader moves on, these Churches tend to whither and die.

The Church should be about Christ alone, Faith alone, Grace alone, based on Scripture alone, and glorifying the tribune God above all things; not on emotions and happy feelings.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. My church has been going strong for decades, built a much bigger church and shows no signs of letting up.

Upvote 0

Kllrbee

Nov 28, 2019
RICHMOND
✟9,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
New LCMS convert here. From RCC. Traditional all the way for me. Among many other things (beliefs), its one of the reasons I went with this particular LCMS church.
The tradition is reminiscient of an earlier time and I believe there is a reason why its stood the test of time. I enjoy following along in my personal LSB. I guess I just appreciate the structure.
Over the past year or so, as I was doing some soul searching, I attended some contemporary non denominational services. They were not for me in the least. Felt like I was in a seminar or freshman lecture hall class back in college. Furthermore, for some, not all, it seemed like just a place to have someone watch their kids while they took a break. Almost zero emphasis on the sacrements as well.
I know Im sounding very judgemental and I apologize for that. It was clear to me that many contemporary worshippers truly felt the Word of God. So it worked for THEM. Definitely, not for ME. To each their own...

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not only is the music not traditional (and I do appreciate the good voices and the overseeing of doctrine in the songs that the LCMS has), but the liturgy otherwise seems to be gone. No confession and absolution? So depressing! Not even robes!

You can go to your pastor for confession and absolution, it’s just that people don’t do it. My pastor told me that he wishes more people would. I miss that aspect of Catholicism.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,931.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You can go to your pastor for confession and absolution, it’s just that people don’t do it. My pastor told me that he wishes more people would. I miss that aspect of Catholicism.
Our Pastor offers it anytime someone desires it but also schedules every Thursday evening for it:

upload_2019-12-9_12-39-42.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,931.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You have confessionals, like Catholics do? That’s so cool. We don’t.
While a very few of our Churches do, they are quite uncommon. The one in the photo is just that, a photo. Ours is done in the Chancel of the Church with the penitent kneeling at the communion rail facing the altar, with the Pastor standing on the other side of the rail facing the person confessing. The location does not matter; but our custom is more like that of the Eastern Orthodox with the penitent person confessing face to face with their Confessor.

Upvote 0