✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This is why we can't have nice things.

This video demonstrates some of the collusions and schemes of manufacturers to foist inferior products onto us unsuspecting pigeons. It starts with the light bulb. I can remember my parents talking about a light bulb continuing to light a firehouse since 1901, back when I was a little boy. To my surprise, it's still lighting that firehouse.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most any lightbulb will last decades if you run it that dim. Dim bulbs are mostly just glowing heat lamps, like he said.

The issue now a days is that products improve so fast that making them disposable is inevitable. People will scrap them for better designs. Home furnaces are so much more efficient now, that you should scrap out the old oil furnace anyway. People like the new, better products in most cases.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Most any lightbulb will last decades if you run it that dim. Dim bulbs are mostly just glowing heat lamps, like he said.

The issue now a days is that products improve so fast that making them disposable is inevitable. People will scrap them for better designs. Home furnaces are so much more efficient now, that you should scrap out the old oil furnace anyway. People like the new, better products in most cases.

You might be able to eek out a couple of decades from an inferior bulb by reducing the voltage; but this one has been working for over a century. It still serves its purpose cost effectively; so there is no need to scrap it.

Did you watch the video? Let's talk about shoes. Do you think that we should continue to build high hills in the landfills, with inferior shoes? They could serve as nice scenic overlooks; if the shoes on your feet last long enough to walk to the top. How is that for efficiency? We can build scenic overlooks out of the shoes that we use to ascend the scenic overlooks. If we build them high enough; we should be able to see other landfills from the top. I love nature walks; and I support upcycling to conserve resources, and to save the WORLD!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You might be able to eek out a couple of decades from an inferior bulb by reducing the voltage; but this one has been working for over a century. It still serves its purpose cost effectively; so there is no need to scrap it.

Did you watch the video? Let's talk about shoes. Do you think that we should continue to build high hills in the landfills, with inferior shoes? They could serve as nice scenic overlooks; if the shoes on your feet last long enough to walk to the top. How is that for efficiency? We can build scenic overlooks out of the shoes that we use to ascend the scenic overlooks. If we build them high enough; we should be able to see other landfills from the top. I love nature walks; and I support upcycling to conserve resources, and to save the WORLD!

Most shoes I have bought in my life wore through the soles without falling apart. A couple of pairs did separate but not before being mostly worn through. I think we are making the highest quality shoes ever made these days.

Besides, people are meeting at gas stations and selling shoe boxes instead of buying gas. The demand for expensive quality shoes is becoming like selling on the stock exchange. There is an exchange site for buying and selling shoes. New shoes, not old ones with leather soles.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The bulb is serving no purpose and is the most inefficient bulb ever made. It mostly just produces heat.
You can buy LED bulbs at the 99 cent store. They use about 10 watts but give 50 watts of light. That's 5 times the light for the cost of electricity.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is why we can't have nice things.

This video demonstrates some of the collusions and schemes of manufacturers to foist inferior products onto us unsuspecting pigeons. It starts with the light bulb. I can remember my parents talking about a light bulb continuing to light a firehouse since 1901, back when I was a little boy. To my surprise, it's still lighting that firehouse.

Economics demand a supply and demand balance.
There are products that last a long time, but if they cost too much and someone makes the same product that lasts less, but costs little, they will win.

Take mass production with special factories. Very cheap goods, but when they break its cheaper to buy new, as to repair costs 50% or more of the product, which may fail again.

Products production cost is only 20% or so of the product cost. The rest is sales and delivery of the product to the customer. So economic power is about employing those is sales and delivery rather than production, so the longevity of products matters less. With fewer resources and carbon zero production, things are shifting again.

In the UK it is stunning to see how robots have taken over factories, and are super efficient so keeping costs low without outsourcing to China. It is hard to keep up with this changing scene but it is moving quicker than we imagine.

God bless you

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The bulb is serving no purpose and is the most inefficient bulb ever made. It mostly just produces heat.
You can buy LED bulbs at the 99 cent store. They use about 10 watts but give 50 watts of light. That's 5 times the light for the cost of electricity.

Did you watch the video? The bulb was put there to keep firemen from bumping into each other in the dark.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you watch the video? The bulb was put there to keep firemen from bumping into each other in the dark.

I watched some of it and skimmed the rest.
The city pays the electric bill. There is no more inefficient, costly light bulb ever made. For example, the story is about efficiency. A dim bulb is a huge money wasting heat lamp. "Firmen bumping each other" is just smooze to sell the propaganda.

Are you aware that video is easily propaganda? With editing, music, and voice rhythm people are hypnotized to believe whatever is said.

Did the video mention that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Economics demand a supply and demand balance.
There are products that last a long time, but if they cost too much and someone makes the same product that lasts less, but costs little, they will win.

I used to design, manufacture, and market, electronic equipment. Many engineers will design to use components that meet the current that will pass through them as designed, then add 25% for the surge for when you turn them on. I would use that model, then double it. I would also use superior components, such as industrial and military packages, and flame resistant resistors. It might cost me 10% more for the components; but such components only contribute a fraction of the cost of the finished product. I built my products to outlive me. Would you pay less than 10% more for a product that would outlast you?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Firmen bumping each other" is just smooze to sell the propaganda.

LOL! Maybe we should all go back to relying on starlight to illuminate our cave dwellings. Caves don't burn; so we might not need firemen. Now there is efficiency!

Propaganda indeed....still laughing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Are you aware that video is easily propaganda? With editing, music, and voice rhythm people are hypnotized to believe whatever is said.

I wasn't hypnotized; and I wasn't even wearing my foil hat. I find it interesting that you felt as though you were being hypnotized.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Most shoes I have bought in my life wore through the soles without falling apart. A couple of pairs did separate but not before being mostly worn through. I think we are making the highest quality shoes ever made these days.

I've been having trouble finding deck shoes and slip ons in my area. Walmart has them; but I've been literally buying 3-10 pairs at a time; because they fall apart so quickly; that I don't want to have to keep going to the store with my shoes all broken out.

I remember back in the 70's when I could get a cheap pair of sneakers for $1, and they would last for up to a year with heavy use. Sometimes these Walmart shoes only last for a couple of weeks.

Do you know where I can buy a cheap durable deck shoe?

Besides, people are meeting at gas stations and selling shoe boxes instead of buying gas.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Selling shoe boxes at meetings at gas stations? This sound completely bizarre to me.

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

You seem to be missing the point. Companies willingly produce products they know will fail in a short time, encouraging customers to buy more frequently. Increasing profit. Engineered to fail, so you buy a new one.

Part of this is our fault for often buying the cheapest item, instead of paying more for a product that will last 10x as long. Problem is, most of the time there is no better choice. It's junk quality or nothing. Quality should have improved with advances in technology, but instead it has gone down. Tools break after a few uses. Gently used cars break down. Most electronics are toast after a year or two.

MADE IN CHINA is a synonym for "Lowest quality guaranteed!"

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You seem to be missing the point. Companies willingly produce products they know will fail in a short time, encouraging customers to buy more frequently. Increasing profit. Engineered to fail, so you buy a new one.

Part of this is our fault for often buying the cheapest item, instead of paying more for a product that will last 10x as long. Problem is, most of the time there is no better choice. It's junk quality or nothing. Quality should have improved with advances in technology, but instead it has gone down. Tools break after a few uses. Gently used cars break down. Most electronics are toast after a year or two.

It appears that you actually watched the video.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

A friend of mine was working for a shoe manufacturer. He was selling very expensive shoes. Quality shoe companies would come to his company for his company's designs; and his company would often have the shoes made with the name of his customer's name on them. One day I was talking to him; and he mentioned that the shoes were being made in China. I said, "I thought that you said that you were selling high quality shoes." He repeated that he was. I made a statement about China producing junk. He said that China is perfectly capable of producing high quality products; but that they produce products according to the specifications that they are given. According to my friend, if American companies ask China to produce junk for them; China will meet their request. If you ask China to give you a quality product; they will do that too.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve noticed a growing dissatisfaction with products on Amazon. The complaints are usually related to quality. I saw negative reviews for milk crates. How do you mess that up? They’re notoriously sturdy or were years ago. You could stand on them without a problem.

This isn’t a recent issue. Manufacturers moved operations or started using cheaper components. I buy a lot of things from France for this reason. They didn’t lower their standards.

Oftentimes it requires me to pay more to get the durability and workmanship I require. I support American companies when possible. But many changed. They don’t produce the goods they used to.

I encounter the topic in fashion frequently. We learned the cost saving methods they use to get the biggest profit at minimal expense. It goes beyond slave labor. Materials and craftsmanship play a part. My convictions on green living were deepened because of it.

Convenience is the biggest threat. We’ve lost the knowledge of self-sufficiency and grown dependent on others for sustenance. Many of the things we buy could be made at home. Freeing up resources for better quality when required.

The wealthy live the way we used to. They don’t do everything themselves. But they support artisans in multiple industries. While we’re relying on shoddy goods they’re opting for better sources.

Decreasing dependency is the greatest gift I’ve given myself and loved ones. It requires different priorities and commitment. But I sleep well at night. That’s the goal.

~bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
According to my friend, if American companies ask China to produce junk for them; China will meet their request. If you ask China to give you a quality product; they will do that too.

In respect to clothing, it depends on the item. India produces simple goods like tee shirts and socks. China has greater proficiency in workmanship. Most luxury items are made in a small town in Italy at minimal cost.

The company provides the materials or they can ask them to source it. But the contracts are specific. The fees are determined accordingly.

China has the machinery for mass production. We don’t have it anymore. The majority don’t know how to use it. They have to outsource.

Americans aren’t willing to spend the money. Goods manufactured here are subject to fair wage laws. They’re more expensive and they’ve grown accustomed to cheap items.

For example, I made a dress. That usually requires 3-4 yards of fabric. I chose linen. It was $12.95 a yard. I bought four. Cotton would cost $9-12 dollars. I’m at $52 dollars and I still need thread, a clasp, and a zipper. That’s another $10. We’re at $62 with no labor.

They’d sell it for $125-150 in the store depending on workmanship. Few would pay that. They’ll use cheaper materials and do it by machine. The lower the price the less likely humans have touched it. And the construction differs.

74BCDB55-DEF9-47B0-AC52-5295236FC74B.jpeg

I made version D and built a custom sleeve to extend the length. The dress requires nine pieces for construction. Manufacturers want to save as much fabric as possible. They won’t cut it like that. They use less cuts when making lower tier items. The machine does everything.

But hand stitches are stronger. Hems are usually done by hand. Stitches can be reinforced through specialized machines to strengthen them. To minimize stress.

Fabric must be washed before proceeding to alleviate shrinkage or bleeding. When things shrink at home it wasn’t done. The same applies to bleeding.

Standards are based on categories. Department stores revealed them. Moderate, better, luxury, etc. Couture is best. Bespoke doesn’t always mean they used the best materials or workmanship. It means the item was fashioned for your form.

They’re not permitted to do the same with couture. They need permission to use the word and must comply with the standards of the governing body. That’s why its so expensive. They use the best and make it in house. They must have ateliers to do it.

Ready to wear doesn’t have that requirement. They’re allowed to outsource. Fast fashion is the same. Most brands make the lion’s share of their profits through accessories. The mark up is greater due to aspirational marketing. The majority are made by machines.

Hermes is a notable exception. They train their craftsmen. But their strategy is deservedness. You must be worthy to carry their bags. Even if you can afford them.

~bella

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In respect to clothing, it depends on the item. India produces simple goods like tee shirts and socks. China has greater proficiency in workmanship. Most luxury items are made in a small town in Italy at minimal cost.

The company provides the materials or they can ask them to source it. But the contracts are specific. The fees are determined accordingly.

China has the machinery for mass production. We don’t have it anymore. The majority don’t know how to use it. They have to outsource.

Americans aren’t willing to spend the money. Goods manufactured here are subject to fair wage laws. They’re more expensive and they’ve grown accustomed to cheap items.

For example, I made a dress. That usually requires 3-4 yards of fabric. I chose linen. It was $12.95 a yard. I bought four. Cotton would cost $9-12 dollars. I’m at $52 dollars and I still need thread, a clasp, and a zipper. That’s another $10. We’re at $62 with no labor.

They’d sell it for $125-150 in the store depending on workmanship. Few would pay that. They’ll use cheaper materials and do it by machine. The lower the price the less likely humans have touched it. And the construction differs.

View attachment 311139

I made version D and built a custom sleeve to extend the length. The dress requires nine pieces for construction. Manufacturers want to save as much fabric as possible. They won’t cut it like that. They use less cuts when making lower tier items. The machine does everything.

But hand stitches are stronger. Hems are usually done by hand. Stitches can be reinforced through specialized machines to strengthen them. To minimize stress.

Fabric must be washed before proceeding to alleviate shrinkage or bleeding. When things shrink at home it wasn’t done. The same applies to bleeding.

Standards are based on categories. Department stores revealed them. Moderate, better, luxury, etc. Couture is best. Bespoke doesn’t always mean they used the best materials or workmanship. It means the item was fashioned for your form.

They’re not permitted to do the same with couture. They need permission to use the word and must comply with the standards of the governing body. That’s why its so expensive. They use the best and make it in house. They must have ateliers to do it.

Ready to wear doesn’t have that requirement. They’re allowed to outsource. Fast fashion is the same. Most brands make the lion’s share of their profits through accessories. The mark up is greater due to aspirational marketing. The majority are made by machines.

Hermes is a notable exception. They train their craftsmen. But their strategy is deservedness. You must be worthy to carry their bags. Even if you can afford them.

~bella
How is a store or customer deemed worthy by Hermes? A waiting list?

ETA: Nevermind. I looked it up. :D
Hermès Birkin Owners Reveal Crazy Tips for Buying the Bag

The Problem with Fake Hermès Bags: Why Fashion Can’t Stop Counterfeits and What Shoppers Need to Know

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0