Simul Justus et Peccator
Mar 30, 2011
Utah
✟16,817.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you had to sell it and that your finances have been so bad, Bryne. These are really tough, lousy financial times, man. I can't get over it. I'm a teacher; this is my 14th year teaching. I made more money in 2004 then I do in 2011. I've had my pay frozen 3 years and two years of furlough/pay cuts. Our health insurance has gone from free to really high as well. We're on a one-income and my wife is in the RN Nursing program with 3 semesters left. We're just itching for the day she graduates. One income family with a husband and wife, a 5, 4, and 3 year old....not easy, man. My parents have helped us out a lot. I hate that. I hate that I've had to accept their offers of help. I can hardly wait for Kate to work and my being able to pay them back....

Teaching is not exactly a financially lucrative enterprise.

Hope everything gets better for you and you can get Kolchak back, man! He's worth it! :)

I hope things get better for you, two.

We have been a no income family for two year...well...no earned income. We do get a disability check. We have had to accept help from my parents...this is hard on my husband, especially. But we do see the light at the end of the tunnel...and as long as it isn't an oncoming train, things will soon be looking up. I just finished my first clinical, and my preceptor wrote on my evaluation sheet that I was the best student she has had to date. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I gather you're in the nursing program also? You mentioned clinicals...

I hope things get better for you, two.

We have been a no income family for two year...well...no earned income. We do get a disability check. We have had to accept help from my parents...this is hard on my husband, especially. But we do see the light at the end of the tunnel...and as long as it isn't an oncoming train, things will soon be looking up. I just finished my first clinical, and my preceptor wrote on my evaluation sheet that I was the best student she has had to date. :)

Upvote 0

Bryne

Simul Justus et Peccator
Mar 30, 2011
Utah
✟16,817.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Medical assisting at this point...looking into both Nursing and Radiology Tech...Not sure which direction I want to go yet. I have a few certifications exams to take, then I will need to work and save for about 6 months before continuing on with more schooling.

Good news though...I just got a job caring for disabled adults in a group home. It doesn't pay much, but it will get me through the rest of my schooling. My husband has less than a year to go before he graduates...so yeah...that light is getting brighter. :)

Maybe, if I can get a job in a hospital, I could set up a side business selling blood to our Orthodox vampire friends. ;)

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wish I had gone into nursing.

I wish I had actually put effort into science in high school.

I ended up wasting money studying something I love (religion), which has no practical application and leaves me unqualified for the types of jobs I am interested in (medical receptionist, etc.).

I don't have the money to go back to school.

Man, I sound really depressed. I'm actually just frustrated because job searching isn't going well, and I have to pay back my student loan.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

I ended up wasting money studying something I love (religion), which has no practical application and leaves me unqualified for the types of jobs I am interested in (medical receptionist, etc.).

Man, I sound really depressed. I'm actually just frustrated because job searching isn't going well, and I have to pay back my student loan.

You might be surprised. I studied a "useless" topic too - classics - and while it was frustrating for a while, it turned out in the end. I worked in a school loans program at a museum, and then in the army. I bet you'd be a shoe-in for a parish receptionist kind of job if you like clerical work.:)

Upvote 0

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

You can learn lots of things on the job, but not critical thinking. Here's hoping you find an employer who can appreciate the skills you have.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I are still laughing about this nonsense. The fact that someone in GT mentioned our "unnatural thirst for blood" makes it even more funny. It is disturbingly sad that there are people out there that believe this stuff, but it is so insane that you have to laugh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cobweb

Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Whats Baklava taste like? :yum:

Heaven.... especially if it is warm and smothered in vanilla icecream (I'm wierd).

Actually it tastes like if you took the flakey bits off a croissant, layered them with finely chopped walnuts, and soaked the whole thing in honey.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Heaven.... especially if it is warm and smothered in vanilla icecream (I'm wierd).

Actually it tastes like if you took the flakey bits off a croissant, layered them with finely chopped walnuts, and soaked the whole thing in honey.

Baklava with amaretto added is also far, far, far from terrible!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If there is one thing that TAE shows us..it's that we Orthodox have a drinking problem:p

Problem? It seems pretty evident to me that most of us here can do it like a champ!

Reactions: ExOrienteLux
Upvote 0

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What's this? A deacon?

No, no, no! It's the Eldest, Graf Orlok! All hail the Eldest and Father!

Seriously, all this talk about injections and infusions honestly reminded me more of this than vampires:

borg1.GIF

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cobweb

Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Problem? It seems pretty evident to me that most of us here can do it like a champ!

You should have seen us while we were trying to go into a meat coma on Pascha. I know there is no Pascha bunny, but *someone* put a bottle of Russian vodka in my basket. ^_^

My second Pascha, we were eating and I kept hearing this 97 year old man shout "будем здоровы!" (sorry if that is wrong... my Russian is crappy) every few minutes and then there would be peals of laughter. It wasn't until later that someone told me what was going on.

Upvote 0

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You should have seen us while we were trying to go into a meat coma on Pascha. I know there is no Pascha bunny, but *someone* put a bottle of Russian vodka in my basket. ^_^

My second Pascha, we were eating and I kept hearing this 97 year old man shout "будем здоровы!" (sorry if that is wrong... my Russian is crappy) every few minutes and then there would be peals of laughter. It wasn't until later that someone told me what was going on.

You're right, there isn't a Pascha bunny.

There is, however, a Pascha Bear who puts bottles of vodka in the baskets of all good Russians while they're proceeding around the Church. ^_^

Upvote 0